Seat swap - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Seat swap

There is no interior section that I can find, so I figured the audio section was the closest thing.

I have an 04 F550 that has the lowest level interior package. Vinyl bench seat, manual windows. etc.

I also have an xlt f350 and want to get the f550 to a similar level. Cloth seat with center console, power windows and cruise control.

I'm guessing cab wise f250-550 are all the same. Should be able to just grab a seat I like from the junk yard and bolt in right? I'm also thinking about swapping the door panels to power window panels and adding all factory parts to the doors to go power as well. Any thoughts on my plans?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 04:57 PM
Informiticus Whoricus

Re: Seat swap

i believe you are right, the cab interiors should all be pretty much the same 99-04, and maybe the 05-07s, at least the bolt locations for the seats.

My only useful technical thought on this: if you're looking to put in power seats, I'd want to know if your 550 has the harness there for it. i'm pretty sure xlts all were power-adjust seats, but might be wrong. either way, if the junkyard seats are power, see if you can pull the harness as far back as you can as well if you don't have it in your 550

edit: another tech bit i just though of, be careful if you are pick-n-pulling from an 05-07 model for your 04. there are quite a few subtle differences between 99-04s and 05-07s. for one, the wiring to the headunit was changed, so i figure its fair to assume that any of the other accessories 'MIGHT' have been changed haha!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

My 05 F350 doesn't have power seats, but I'm assuming it's an xlt cause it's cloth with power windows and locks.

I don't have a need for power seats, just windows and locks. I'm gonna look at the seat mounts on my 350 and 550 today though and see if they like the same. I would assume if they look the same they probably are.

I appreciate the comment though. I'm no expert on fords so small things might be useful to me

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 05:34 PM
Informiticus Whoricus

hrrmmm, lol i was clearly wrong about the power adjustment on the seats, my 06 is an xlt with power seats lol!

its good that you've got the 05 to compare to if you find any discrepancies with parts that you find. keep us posted, i'm always looking for info on updating one of our 6.0s same as you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I have no real clue. Lol. Hopefully this work day will end soon so I can start comparing them
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 08:12 PM
alleged moderator

seats are easy. unbolt the bench seat and seatbelts.
unbolt the bucket seats, center console and seat belts. bolt the fancy seats into the plain jane truck

for power windows, heated mirrors, and door locks, you may have to run the wires into the doors.
when i do the 04 i am just running power lines into each door and mounting the switches in the center of the dash somewhere so i will only have to run 5 wires to each door instead of the 12 to the passenger door and 9 to driver door.
not all trucks come wired for power accessories in the doors.

tom
owner of almost to many fords.

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Yea, I'm expecting some wiring. Not too concerned as long as I can get parts that bolt up with little or no modification. I want it to work like factory and not like terrible aftermarket stuff.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 10:45 AM
alleged moderator

by the way, you will need a torx 55 plus for the seats.
a regular T55 may work, but the plus has flat tips instead of the pointed tips of the regular torx driver, so the regular torx will easily strip or round out the driver when used in a torx plus screw that is real tight.
regular torx:

torx plus:

tom
owner of almost to many fords.

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 11:24 AM

I used a t55 impact and it worked good. I already had it so I didn't want to buy another socket.

Best bet on power windows and doors is get the whole door with the harness and bolt the whole thing in. Then you will need to add an aftermarket relay/fuse block to get everything wired up easy.

01 f-250, Standard
Rev tech 4" lift, 37" military wrangler Mt tires
KC diy 66, Full force 160/100 and custom tunes from PHP
Banks intercooler and full 4" exhaust, Diy S&B intake
Diy quad feed, Hydra, Isspro boost, pyro, and fuel pressure
3/0 battery cables with military style terminals
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I have a huge matco torx set, so I'm sure I'm set there, but good info on the flat tip. I have never heard of a difference.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode