Okay, how about swapping out a IDI for a 7.3L Powerstroke? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
OBS junkie
 
Cat_Rebel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: In or under a truck
Posts: 8,250
Okay, how about swapping out a IDI for a 7.3L Powerstroke?

I've had this idea bouncing around my head for awhile & just need to let it out. What would I need other than an engine & mounts to swap a 94-97 Powerstroke into my truck? I love my old IDI but I'm thinking about the cost of adding a turbo + how much power it will still make. Also will the E4OD just bolt up or should I find another E4OD or just change the bell housing? The front end is already the heavy duty setup for a Diesel. I figgured my truck shouldn't be that hard of a swap because it's the 92-97 body style. Any input guys?
I was thinking about a Cummins but that too much $$$ & like Aljay says....."So easy a caveman can do it!"


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

97 F350 CCLB "Da Bus"

RIP Will Iott
"This ain't no practice run"


Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboyrob View Post
And remember, he's cat rebel....he doesn't do it the normal way.
Cat_Rebel is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 05:53 PM
The Stig
 
BFD99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Tulsa, Ok
Posts: 1,614
Send a message via AIM to BFD99 Send a message via MSN to BFD99
Re: Okay, how about swapping out a IDI for a 7.3L Powerstroke?

your saying a cummins would be more expensive then a 7.3? i think a 12v would be ALOT cheaper to put in. not having to worry about much wiring, and could make power alot easier. but then again, if you factor in that the 7.3 was available in your body style, then...... i don't know, might be cheaper to do the swap, but would still cost more to mod it to make huge HP.

2006 Ram 5.9L 2wd Gogodiesel, Garmon's Diesel
2010 Dually 6.4L, Gogodiesel, KEM Tuned
BFD99 is offline  
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
OBS junkie
 
Cat_Rebel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: In or under a truck
Posts: 8,250
Re: Okay, how about swapping out a IDI for a 7.3L Powerstroke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFD99 View Post
your saying a cummins would be more expensive then a 7.3? i think a 12v would be ALOT cheaper to put in. not having to worry about much wiring, and could make power alot easier. but then again, if you factor in that the 7.3 was available in your body style, then...... i don't know, might be cheaper to do the swap, but would still cost more to mod it to make huge HP.
Not looking to mod it for 500hp, just looking for a mild Daily Driver setup that can scoot & pull good. Also be easier to swap in the Powerstroke than get all of the mounts & adapters + build the drivetrain to handle a Cummins. I also like the rattle to the old Powerstrokes too!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

97 F350 CCLB "Da Bus"

RIP Will Iott
"This ain't no practice run"


Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboyrob View Post
And remember, he's cat rebel....he doesn't do it the normal way.
Cat_Rebel is offline  
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 11:04 PM
all ur OBS r belong to me
 
OldschoolPSD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Davidsonville, MD
Posts: 1,591
Send a message via MSN to OldschoolPSD
Re: Okay, how about swapping out a IDI for a 7.3L Powerstroke?

Why not slap a turbo and some squirters in the IDI? You could probably do 350hp at the wheels with it, that plenty to have fun with.


in the long run it'd probably be cheaper to trade the IDI in on a day cab OBS stroker...

Ford stopped building trucks in 1997
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
OldschoolPSD is offline  
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 04:26 AM Thread Starter
OBS junkie
 
Cat_Rebel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: In or under a truck
Posts: 8,250
Re: Okay, how about swapping out a IDI for a 7.3L Powerstroke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldschoolPSD View Post
Why not slap a turbo and some squirters in the IDI? You could probably do 350hp at the wheels with it, that plenty to have fun with.


in the long run it'd probably be cheaper to trade the IDI in on a day cab OBS stroker...
I don't want to get rid of the truck though, I got it for a good deal & the cab is perfect. I just need a new bed & front fenders. I don't think it would be too hard of a swap if I found a doner truck.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

97 F350 CCLB "Da Bus"

RIP Will Iott
"This ain't no practice run"


Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboyrob View Post
And remember, he's cat rebel....he doesn't do it the normal way.
Cat_Rebel is offline  
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 11:02 PM
Don't EFN worry about it
 
Aljay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Fort Worth TEXAS Damn it !!
Posts: 15,588
Re: Okay, how about swapping out a IDI for a 7.3L Powerstroke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_Rebel View Post
I've had this idea bouncing around my head for awhile & just need to let it out. What would I need other than an engine & mounts to swap a 94-97 Powerstroke into my truck? I love my old IDI but I'm thinking about the cost of adding a turbo + how much power it will still make. Also will the E4OD just bolt up or should I find another E4OD or just change the bell housing? The front end is already the heavy duty setup for a Diesel. I figgured my truck shouldn't be that hard of a swap because it's the 92-97 body style. Any input guys?
I was thinking about a Cummins but that too much $$$ & like Aljay says....."So easy a caveman can do it!"
Are you related to Andrew with all this hiarbrain swap question I am starting to wonder.

97 crew cab shorty-4x4 Lots of mods .
Tuned by T Wildman
Aljay is offline  
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 11:05 PM
Busy Busy
 
Marty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Elkton, MD
Posts: 9,004
Re: Okay, how about swapping out a IDI for a 7.3L Powerstroke?

i just needed the url for this smiley :nutswinger:

443.553.9234 - 410.392.3262

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Elkton, Maryland

2001 F250 Platinum - 11.62 @ 115.76 on Nitrous
2007 F250 - 10.916 @ 122.86 on Fuel
2005 F450 - Tow Bitch
Marty is offline  
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
OBS junkie
 
Cat_Rebel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: In or under a truck
Posts: 8,250
Re: Okay, how about swapping out a IDI for a 7.3L Powerstroke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aljay View Post
Are you related to Andrew with all this hiarbrain swap question I am starting to wonder.
No, my questions actually have a point behind them, I try asking questions I haven't seen before. Andrew asks questions about the same thing over & over again & still doesn't get it.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

97 F350 CCLB "Da Bus"

RIP Will Iott
"This ain't no practice run"


Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboyrob View Post
And remember, he's cat rebel....he doesn't do it the normal way.
Cat_Rebel is offline  
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 01:42 AM
Don't EFN worry about it
 
Aljay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Fort Worth TEXAS Damn it !!
Posts: 15,588
Re: Okay, how about swapping out a IDI for a 7.3L Powerstroke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_Rebel View Post
No, my questions actually have a point behind them, I try asking questions I haven't seen before. Andrew asks questions about the same thing over & over again & still doesn't get it.
Just bustin balls dude. I know that you know









Your sh!t !

97 crew cab shorty-4x4 Lots of mods .
Tuned by T Wildman
Aljay is offline  
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
OBS junkie
 
Cat_Rebel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: In or under a truck
Posts: 8,250
Re: Okay, how about swapping out a IDI for a 7.3L Powerstroke?

I know you love me in a non :gayfight: way Aljay!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

97 F350 CCLB "Da Bus"

RIP Will Iott
"This ain't no practice run"


Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboyrob View Post
And remember, he's cat rebel....he doesn't do it the normal way.
Cat_Rebel is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome