Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

E4OD Trans questions

7K views 46 replies 8 participants last post by  Lt.Dan 
#1 ·
Hey everybody, so now that I have most everything on my truck buttoned up, I've put about 1500 miles on it, did its first oil change at 500, and it is officially broken it. The trans "supposedly" had about 5000 miles on it when i bought it from a friend that was parting out his truck, and i've put about 20,000 on it since then. My friend said it was "upgraded" but he lacks in automotive knowledge more than my wife... He didn't even know what they "upgraded"

So now with all my mods in my sig, I'm starting to feel something is up with the trans. Now i'm not smart with transmissions at all. Something I've wanted to learn for a long time. I know the basics, how a TC works, how a VB works, diffference between VB and shift kits, etc.

First thing i noticed was the 1st to 2nd shift under very light throttle is really abrupt and kind of "slams" into gear. Under a moderate acceleration to keep up with traffic, its smoother, but not crisp and clean.

The second thing i noticed that something was up, was when I was towing about 2500lbs with it last weekend, for a total of 520 miles. Some of which in some steep hills. Well 3 times out of this entire 520 miles, I was on flat land, no wind, and I would feel the trans downshift to 3rd, and right back to 4th. Within less than a second. Maybe the TC unlocking and relocking? I couldn't tell which, but it concerned me.

The third thing was today, I was out testing my new "Extreme" and "Hot Street" tunes from Swamps. It launches good from a stop, but it will burn rubber for a good 20 feet, then the whole truck will hop as it tries to get traction (now I know I need traction bars), then will shift to 2nd fine, not exactly quick, but how a stock trans would. But then the shift to 3rd was really dragged out, and i could feel it slipping, then would grab and keep going. It did this all 3 times I tried it.

The last thing is something its done since i owned the truck. My old trans did it and now this one has done it since i put it in. But it takes FOREVER to grab reverse! Im talking 4-5 seconds sometimes! I've been told by some this is normal? I cant stand it though!

Let me know what you guys think, if its time for a full transmission overhaul, or call JW or BTS and get a billet TC, or if I'm crazy and just drive it?

Thanks,
Daniel

See less See more
#2 ·
Stock tc were single disk if I remember correctly. Those being the first thing to go. Is the oil burnt smelling? Is there material on the drain plug?

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

#3 ·
It's not a stock TC, as it has a drain plug on it, granted it came with the trans when I bought it so idk what it is.

There is no drain plug on the e4od. And all the fluid was just replaced when I put the new motor in, 1500 miles ago.

#5 ·
Really? The one that was in the truck when i bought it didnt have a drain plug, I just assumed it was factory? Must not have been, it did have 320,000 when i pulled it.

#7 ·
A brand new trans should slam into gears under no load. Mine is brand new rebuild and does too. As far as the weird shift to 3rd and back to 4th I'm not sure. Under heavy throttle the shifts should be smooth. Mine smooth right out under load but light load shift the trans shifts so hard the entire truck shudders sometimes. My stock e4OD didn't have a drain plug on the TC. I don't think any 6 lug E4OD TC from the factory had them.

#8 ·
Hmm, i dont understand why a stock trans would slam into gear that hard? And i still dont know what I should do with this thing, with it slipping going into 3rd and long wait times for it to find reverse.

Any ideas guys?

#10 ·
i have a few of these obs with e4od and all seem somewhat slow to go into reverse, i have a rebuilt one and it shifts perfect under every condition but is slightly slow to go into reverse other 2have over 300k and shift good. one transmission came out of another truck i had and shifted very weird weird got hot slammed gears od light would flash sometimes torque convertor would stay locked other times it would unlock at highway speeds i took my chances with it and swapped it into truck that needed transmission because it grenaded and that transmission has yet to fail or act like it did which led me to believe that it wasnt the transmission.

#15 ·
a new trans should not slam gears, it should work the same on day one as it does years down the road.
A new trans build should have its fluid and filter changed within the first 500-1000 miles and then again before 5000 miles
Most shifting issues are going to be commanded by the PCM or issues in the valve body.
Many trans rebuilds skip right over the valve body (seriously, they take it out, put it in a bag and build the trans, then stick it back in and hope for the best. It is only after a road test if there is an issue the tech will diagnose and remove the VB for fixing. This is why they charge you double what a trans build costs the first time through, knowing they will have call backs)
Its always best to confirm you are getting a FULL REBUILD including an updated valve body and new solenoids.
Auto trans "rebuilds" are usually when the nightmare begins.
Its best to buy a fully remanufactured or 100% new trans instead of just having one "fixed"

Run only Motorcraft VSS in these trucks

#16 ·
They don't make them anymore maybe find a repair place. There is one here in NY in Syracuse. Called radio City if I can recall. And 410customs is right on the money as well. I'm currently about to do that to my rebuilt one as well something better than stock TC. Of anyone wants a 20000 mile stock TC I'll part with it cheap lol.

#17 ·
I just bought a Diesel Performance Converters triple disk from XDP for $695. It seems great so far, really hooks up and goes. That being said its the cheapest triple disk i could find, but they have a $300 core. I would buy it again though. Made in Georgia, USA USA USA. If i woere you I'd replace the flex plate at the same time. $90 for a new one from Napa is cheap insurance on not having to pull your trans again like I did...

#20 ·
Starting to get a weird, vibration or grinding kind of feeling when in reverse. Starting to concern me... Need to start saving up for a trans.

#21 ·
Grinding in reverse is a little hit and miss now.

On my way to work thus morning, I think the torque converter has finally #### out on me. It started unlocking/locking randomly, but there's no CEL, and the overdrive light hasn't come on? Will the trans set any codes if it senses anything wrong?

#22 ·
Well, I found out both rear tail lights and both reverse lights were burnt out. All at the same time? Not sure why...

I put it all new bulbs, and everything works fine, there was no fuses blown, so I just shrugged it off as one of those coincidences?

Drove it home, and everything seems normal? Not everything is fixed, but its back to the way it was a week ago. I guess the tail light circuit really does affect the trans that much.

Reactions: 410customs
#23 ·
So today really sucked, i feel like the truck is falling apart around me, On the way home I realized the brakes are warped, or atleast thats what it feels like, then the trans is still acting funny, stuttering on light acceleration and stutters when maintaining speed. Then I got home and I almost couldn't back up into my driveway (a decent incline), felt the grinding and it almost felt like I was on the brakes, took quite a bit of throttle to get it up there, so i think I'm losing reverse sooner than expected too..

#24 ·
Man that sucks I know how you feel I stuffed my auto in my truck a couple years ago and had to pull it right back out cause lost the forward clutch because of loose bolts in the center support. I hope you can get it sorted and get your baby back up to greatness.

#25 ·
Contemplating just taking it to a reputable transmission shop, even if I got all the scanners and tools needed to diagnose it, I have no idea how to use them or how to fix it myself.

Anybody know any good transmission shops in Southern California that can diagnose my problem?

#26 ·
best trans shop in So Cal is Transwerx if he is still around
Most shops will just tell you need a new trans (Aamco comes to mind) so try to find a real place with real people, not some profit driven business model trans warehouse

#28 ·
I have the trans that came out of my truck a couple years ago, its still sitting in my garage. Maybe I could just take it to someone and have them look through it. When i pulled it, it was slamming the 2nd to 3rd gear really bad, so I bought one from a friend (that supposedly only had 3000 miles on it), and I just replaced it. Obviously its either had a lot more miles, or I have seriously underestimated what the E4OD is capable of handling.

Edit: Or should i even try to flush the fluid out of the trans? I just noticed nobody has suggested that. Right now it has Valvoline Max Life ATF in it, maybe i need to go pick up REAL Mercon V?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.