Diesel Fuel Gel test - Pwr Srvc, Howe's, Schaeffer - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 03:06 AM Thread Starter
Freedom is not free

Diesel Fuel Gel test - Pwr Srvc, Howe's, Schaeffer

I posted this on FTE a few weeks ago. Sorry to take so long to post it here on PSN.

Being that the OAT was getting down to -10 F this week I though this would be a good opportunity to do a comparison of some anti-gelling fuel additives. This wasn’t a very scientific test, but a good visual representation of how the fuel I used reacted with 3 different anti-gel additives.

The additives I used were:

Power Service Diesel Kleen (white bottle)
Howe’s Dieseltreat anti-gel
Schaeffer’s Dieseltreat 2000 Winterized

I would have also liked to use Stanadyne Winter 1000 but I could not find any on short notice.

The diesel fuel I used came from a local gas station and kept in my garage where the inside air temp was 52 F. I wanted to make sure the fuel was above the cloud point since it is key to add an anti-gel additive to fuel before it reaches it’s cloud point. If you add an anti-gel additive after the fuel has reached the cloud point then it will not be able to disperse the wax crystals since they have already stared to form and grow.

I mixed each additive with 20 oz of #2 diesel. Since Howe’s recommended a double treatment for Pickups and/or when OAT is below 0 degrees F. I decided to be fair and double dose the treatment ratio of all the additives.

1) For pickups Howe’s recommends a treatment ratio of 1 oz per 2.5 gallons of fuel. Which equals .4oz per gallon.

2) Diesel Kleen’s Double treatment ratio is 8 oz per 10 gallons. Which equals .8 oz per gallon.

3) Schaeffer’s double treatment ratio is 16 oz per 62.5 gallons. Which equals .256 oz per gallon.

Howe’s .4 oz per gallon -------- -----0.0625 oz for 20 oz of fue
Diesel Kleen .8 oz per gallon --------- 0.125 oz for 20 oz of fuel
Schaeffer’s .256 oz per gallon ------- 0.04 oz for 20 oz of fuel

I mixed the samples at 2 pm. Garage air temp 52 degrees.

I placed the samples outside at 7 pm, outside air temp 4 F. I wanted to simulate an approximate time period the truck would be sitting outside overnight.

2003 F250, Wildman tunes, Faubion trns, Swamps 175/146 SS,van turbo/WW, DI Intercooler, oilguard bypass, intank & pre-pump, reg return, Firestone air bags, Bilsteins, 350 HP/692 TQ
2000 Excursion- Pwrd by: T Wildman 6 pos chip, CT Performance Suspension, Riffraff Diesel Performance, J&M Tranny, 4" MBRP, 6637 filter, intank/prepump mods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 03:08 AM Thread Starter
Freedom is not free

Re: Diesel Fuel Gel test - Pwr Srvc, Howe's, Schaeffer

After 1 hour – 8 p.m. ----- no visual difference, OAT +2F.

After 2 hours 20 min - 9:20 p.m. ----- all samples show clouding, OAT +1 F.

After 3 hours – 10 p.m. ----- equal cloudiness, OAT 0 F.

After 4 hours 20 min – 11:20 p.m. ----- layering/wax drop out starting OAT -2F.

A little tough to see in the photo but if you look closely you can start to see some layering at the top of the jar as the wax crystals grow in size. They
reach a particle size which is too great to remain suspended in the fuel and start to drop out.

2003 F250, Wildman tunes, Faubion trns, Swamps 175/146 SS,van turbo/WW, DI Intercooler, oilguard bypass, intank & pre-pump, reg return, Firestone air bags, Bilsteins, 350 HP/692 TQ
2000 Excursion- Pwrd by: T Wildman 6 pos chip, CT Performance Suspension, Riffraff Diesel Performance, J&M Tranny, 4" MBRP, 6637 filter, intank/prepump mods
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
Freedom is not free

After 5 hours 15 min – 12:15 a.m. ----- cloudiness continues to increase. Not much change from an hour ago, but some increased cloudiness.

After 11 hours 15 min – 6:30 a.m. ----- wax drop out

You can see the wax drop out in 3 out of 4 of the samples. So this is what I could have had happening in my fuel tank if my truck was parked outside overnight.

13 hours later – 8:00 a.m. -----

Here are some close ups of the individual samples.

Ok, so with this type of fuel each additive affected the gel point differently. But, I put the samples back in the garage and after 2 hours each of the treated fuel samples were clear and the wax crystals were able to be dispersed & suspended back in the fuel. The untreated sample still has some wax drop out.

Next I plan to add about 5mm of water to the samples and see what affect that has on them.

Two important notes to consider:

1. There are different ways that diesel fuel is refined and each refining process reacts differently with additives. That is why you see some additives work well for one person in one area of the country and then not work as well for someone else in another area. So it is very difficult to say that one additive is best. This is probably why you here about one additive working well for someone – then not work so well for someone else in a different region of the country.

2. If you can keep the fuel moving then it slows the wax drop out process considerably. That might be why systems with a fuel tank return line/Reg return will help prevent the wax drop out from happening so quickly.

post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Freedom is not free

Here is some similar tests done with #1 Diesel and a 50/50 mix of #1 and #2.

Since tonight it will possibly get down to -12F I'm finally getting around to another gelling test.

I have 3 sample bottles set outside.

1. a 50/50 mix of #1 and #2
2. #1 Diesel
3. a 50/50 mix of #1 and #2 with Schaeffer's Winterized Dieseltreat

Put the samples out at 2 pm, +13F. You can easily see the variation in colors of the different samples.

at 6 pm, 4 hours after being place outside, the temp dropped to 9 degrees F. All samples still remained clear.

at 8:30 PM the OAT was +5 F, #1 Diesel sample remained clear. The 50/50 mix samples both started to show some haze/cloudiness, but no wax drop out.

at 6 a.m. the OAT was -7 F. #1 Diesel remained clear. Both 50/50 mixes were cloudy but the untreated 50/50 mix was cloudier than the 50/50 mix treated with the anti-gelling additive. There was some wax drop out in the untreateded 50/50 mix, very little compared to the straight #2 pics posted previously.

at 8 a.m. OAT was -5 F. Same observations as 6 a.m.

Some wax drop out on the bottom of the untreated 50/50 mix container, a thin layer.

better add the treated 50/50 mix picture for comparison. So even with a 50/50 mix of #1 and #2 it seems the additive did make a difference with this fuel at these temps.

post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 01:04 PM
Edward Scissorhand WanaB

Cool little study you did.

"Real Trucks Don't Have Sparkplugs"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2000 F-250 Lariat, CC, 4x4, LWB,
A few mods to make it better than stock.
250cc hybrids, Stealth stage II HPOP, H-11 Headstuds, Strickly Diesel Reg. Return Fuel, Spearco 6.0 IC, Garrett 38r 1.15 hsg, BTS transmission, Gearhead Tuning
"The Smoke Don't Mean Its Broke"
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 08:02 PM
Work in progress

Awesome test! I always mix double for Howes and run #2 and no problems. Except one time, the diesel must not have mixed with the Howes when I filled up and started to gell up. I pulled it into a warm shop for about a hour and it must of mixed then because it was fine after that. I might have to try some schaeffers next winter.

2001 F-250 4X4 LARIAT Crew Cab,7.3, ZF6
GTX-4294r, Swamps 300/200%
couple other bolt ons

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 05:34 PM
PSN Veteran

Been running schaeffers all winter this year and have had zero problems. Another cool thing that maybe was in my head but the first time that I ran it in my truck it sounded quiter, as in the engine its self. Awesome testing!

'97 4x4 ECLB: SD IC, TW 4 pos, afe, 3-4" w/areoturbine, 4 gauge, DIY stage 1s, GTP38R, cust E-fuel, E-brake, stage3 CM meth, 439hp still trying for 600. cust stereo, highamp alt, cust paint

'78 F-150 RCLB: 460 swap, 3" lift, 33's,Trussed 9" w/ chrome-moly shafts, cust stereo, locked front/rear. My first love! EFI & Turbo coming soon...
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 11:02 PM
PSN Veteran

Just stumbled on this thread thanks to the bump. So which version of PowerService was this, gray or white bottle?
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 11:07 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Just stumbled on this thread thanks to the bump. So which version of PowerService was this, gray or white bottle?
White bottle, it's mentioned in parenthesis in his first post.

2006 F250 CC LB FX4 Lariat
ARP studs, SCT X3 IDP & Gearhead tuned, S&B CAI, straight pipe, FASS 150/180, FCDP solid uppipe, Dieselsite coolant filter
2.5" BTS leveling kit, 35" Xtreme A/T's on XD Hoss 18's, N-Fab prerunner bar w/ 3 9" Hellas
Pioneer double din, JL components, 3 10" Pioneer subs

post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 12:34 AM
peterbilt'in

Very interesting study..

Now, where did you get #1 diesel? i have only ever seen #2. off hand i cant remember the differences, but wait, #1 is kero right?

i use Power service diesel kleen, but i add Way more then there recommended and have never had a problem... to my knowledge. lol but i cant see whats going on inside the tank.

Deff appreciate your research!

2002 F350 extended cab XLT, 4x4 auto,194K mi @ 10/25/13, ELF7405, DP F5, ultra light gauges, all kinds of "improvements" Yukon Grizzly locker 6K helper springs, x code fronts. 2 Y2K jetta Tdi. RC2 tuned

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.powerstrokenation.com/forums/24-fluids-discussion/53695-diesel-fuel-gel-test-pwr-srvc-howes-schaeffer.html
Posted By For Type Date
Power Service - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum Post #0 Refback 09-10-2016 03:20 AM
fuel additive - Page 2 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums This thread Refback 01-18-2016 03:48 AM
MUST READ intrested thread on Fuel Geling - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum Post #0 Refback 11-29-2015 02:32 AM
Diesel Fuel Gel Test - TheDieselGarage.com This thread Refback 11-08-2015 04:24 AM