Diesel Fuel Gel test - Pwr Srvc, Howe's, Schaeffer - Page 3 - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 08:23 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Diesel Fuel Gel test - Pwr Srvc, Howe's, Schaeffer

WB very nice study. Great job !!!! Very good info

The only issue with a direct comparison to a tank is the glass jar and its volume to outer surface area compared to a full fuel tank. Does not change what is seen but would greatly increase the amount of time needed for those changes to occur. It is a very good reason why when you know there will be extreme cold make sure you are running a full tank. The fuller it is the more insulating value it has.

One of the largest things the additives do as was seen at the end of the first test was to allow everything to back into solution.

I look very forward to seeing what happens with water added to it. Maybe find out what is a likely high amount to be found and use that %

Another interesting test you could do in this area woudl be to take ht untreated diesel and allow it to fully sep and gell up. Then try the various additives specially made for those situations to get them all back to liquid. You here that some say nothing will work until you get back up in temps but I have seen some work but never actually tested them to see exactly how effective they are. Products like Schaeffers Diesel Hot Line for example and there are a number of others. That is the one I keep handy.

My Dahl comes with an option for manual controlled fuel heater.

My RR should take care of nay issues with cold once I have it run for 30 mins. Nothing like running all your fuel thru the heads to get it nice and toasty. I have to setup a loop to bypass the fuel cooler when it goes in specifically for the colder temps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Freedom is not free

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy41 View Post
my 1st year with a diesel....What is the temp that you have to worry about the fuel gelling? I am in the KCMO area and it is still in the 40s at night.
Sorry to take so long to reply, been pretty hectic for me lately and I pass out as soon as I hit the pillow at night. The most important thing to remember with adding anti-gelling additives is to get it in the fuel before the fuel hits it's cloud point. The cloud point can range from approx. 10 to 20 degrees F. So to be on the safe side - if the temps are gonna drop below 25 F I would throw some in, in my opinion. If the truck is garaged kept than you can go wait until it gets colder. The 7.3L's tend not to gel up as quickly as some of the newer model diesel pick-ups. IIRC our fuel filter is 14 microns and some of the newer diesel's are down to 2 microns.

2003 F250, Wildman tunes, Faubion trns, Swamps 175/146 SS,van turbo/WW, DI Intercooler, oilguard bypass, intank & pre-pump, reg return, Firestone air bags, Bilsteins, 350 HP/692 TQ
2000 Excursion- Pwrd by: T Wildman 6 pos chip, CT Performance Suspension, Riffraff Diesel Performance, J&M Tranny, 4" MBRP, 6637 filter, intank/prepump mods
post #23 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Freedom is not free

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott2001 View Post
no one has said this. BUT good god its cold where you live.
I do belive my blood would freeze their
I had to buy one of these!

2003 F250, Wildman tunes, Faubion trns, Swamps 175/146 SS,van turbo/WW, DI Intercooler, oilguard bypass, intank & pre-pump, reg return, Firestone air bags, Bilsteins, 350 HP/692 TQ
2000 Excursion- Pwrd by: T Wildman 6 pos chip, CT Performance Suspension, Riffraff Diesel Performance, J&M Tranny, 4" MBRP, 6637 filter, intank/prepump mods

post #24 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 08:14 PM
Work in progress

after a cold snap and it warms up to 30* I walk around with a T-shirt..... feels like 60*!

2001 F-250 4X4 LARIAT Crew Cab,7.3, ZF6
GTX-4294r, Swamps 300/200%
couple other bolt ons

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 05:10 AM Thread Starter
Freedom is not free

Since this week we are supposed to have the coldest temps of the year I figured I would test some #2 diesel with Stanadyne fuel additive like I initially wanted to. This really can not be used as a direct comparison to the other additives tested since this is a different fuel sample but at least it will give you a visualization. I used the same gas station as in the initail study.

I mixed the diesel and fuel additive at 50 degrees OAT to ensure the additive was mixed before the fuel has reached it's cloud point. 50 F in the garage and -2F outside.

The fuel sample on the left is #2 diesel and the sample on the right is #2 mixed with Stanadyne Performance formula.

Only 1 hour has passed and the fuel has already reached it's cloud point......

2 hours outside, OAT -4F

I'll post up additional pics around 6:00 a.m.

post #26 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 12:53 PM
Olde gear jammer

Location: Barton City Mi, under a rock or a log, where the skies are sometimes cloudy all day.

Well, it's almost 0800!!

Another nonaligned spokesperson.

Good stuff, trucks bring it!

I don't care if my thread goes off topic, it's all BS anyway!!!
post #27 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 12:56 PM
Headwind Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnday View Post
Well, it's almost 0800!!

Standing by Rich...
Best,
Jim

2002 F-350 SC/SB/SRW 4X4 auto- Tymar intake, AIH delete, Swamps injectors, Swamps IDM, Dieselsite Coolant Filter,
Bilsteins with a stock ride height.
post #28 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Freedom is not free

Man, can't get away with nothin around here.......

6:20 am, fuel outsoude for @ 10 hours
Treatment ratio = .256 oz per gallon

you can see the separation better in these photos once the sun came up.

This was done with Stanadyne Performance formula which contains an anti-gel additive, cetane boost, detergent, lubricity & fuel stabilizer. The retailer I purchased it from had this on hand. I'll stop back in to see if any Stanadyne Winter 1000 formula which is more specifically engineered for cold weather performance.

post #29 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 03:09 PM
Olde gear jammer

Location: Barton City Mi, under a rock or a log, where the skies are sometimes cloudy all day.

Thanks man. I was waiting with a worm on my tongue, ah, baited breathe that is. You do a very nice job with this, and it's something a lot of us can make determinations on. Looks like the Stanadyne is at least doing something

Another nonaligned spokesperson.

Good stuff, trucks bring it!

I don't care if my thread goes off topic, it's all BS anyway!!!
post #30 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 03:40 PM
Headwind Magnet

Rich, thank you very much for doing this!

It appears that Stanadyne did better than Pwr Svc, about as well as Howe's and not as well as Schaeffer's; do you concur?

Best,
Jim

2002 F-350 SC/SB/SRW 4X4 auto- Tymar intake, AIH delete, Swamps injectors, Swamps IDM, Dieselsite Coolant Filter,
Bilsteins with a stock ride height.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.powerstrokenation.com/forums/24-fluids-discussion/53695-diesel-fuel-gel-test-pwr-srvc-howes-schaeffer.html
Posted By For Type Date
Power Service - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum Post #0 Refback 09-10-2016 04:20 AM
fuel additive - Page 2 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums This thread Refback 01-18-2016 04:48 AM
MUST READ intrested thread on Fuel Geling - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum Post #0 Refback 11-29-2015 03:32 AM
Diesel Fuel Gel Test - TheDieselGarage.com This thread Refback 11-08-2015 05:24 AM