Diesel Fuel Gel test - Pwr Srvc, Howe's, Schaeffer - Page 2 - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 02:41 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Diesel Fuel Gel test - Pwr Srvc, Howe's, Schaeffer

awesome apparently #1 is chemically balanced not to gel until lower temps.

05 f350 CCLB 4x4 delete and sct x4 thanks to innovative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSmokey View Post
Sh*t in a box (litterally) and write "Will give you 200+ hp, just add to your fuel" on the box and give it to him. Then ask him if he still believe's everything thats written on a box...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce51d View Post
if you can blow up a 7.3 just imagaine what you would do to a 6.0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Freedom is not free

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobvillaoftn View Post
awesome apparently #1 is chemically balanced not to gel until lower temps.
Correct, #1 Diesel has a gel point closer to -35F to -40F. The negative aspects are that #1 drops the Miles Per Gallon about 1-2 mpg on average. In addition, #1 does not have the same lubricity as #2. Most folks up here will run a 50/50 mix of the two. Last year (here locally) #1 was .40 cents per gallon more that #2, so the cost per fill up went up quite a bit. That is where some additives can come in to play, if the additive will only cost a few cents per gallon and can effectively drop the gell point than you can save approx. .35 cents per gallon. This year (here locally) the price difference between #1 and #2 was only about .15 cents - so it wasn't as huge of a cost savings as last year.

2003 F250, Wildman tunes, Faubion trns, Swamps 175/146 SS,van turbo/WW, DI Intercooler, oilguard bypass, intank & pre-pump, reg return, Firestone air bags, Bilsteins, 350 HP/692 TQ
2000 Excursion- Pwrd by: T Wildman 6 pos chip, CT Performance Suspension, Riffraff Diesel Performance, J&M Tranny, 4" MBRP, 6637 filter, intank/prepump mods
post #13 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Freedom is not free

Here are some additional pics on the water contamination test I mentioned I wanted to add to this post. Sorry it took so long for me to get this posted.

Many folks initially jump to gelling as being the problem during cold temps, but water contamination can cause problems much quicker than gelling. The water in these samples froze at the bottom of the containers within one hour.

Again, not a very scientific study or analysis - just a good visualization so we can get a better understanding of what might be going on inside the tank and/or engine.

According to the Standard, Diesel fuel can contain up to 100 ppm water. Most suppliers try to keep this under 50 ppm especially during the winter.

This is a #1 Diesel Sample with 2cc's of water added. The pic is a little fuzzy, but you can see the water droplets at the bottom of the sample.

This is a #2 diesel sample with 2 cc's of water added.

Here is a photo of both contaminated samples with Schaeffer's Winterized Dieseltreat additive that contains a water dispersent. It does seem that the additive was a bit more effective in the #1 diesel than in the #2 to the naked eye.

I'll add more info later. ran out of time for now.

2003 F250, Wildman tunes, Faubion trns, Swamps 175/146 SS,van turbo/WW, DI Intercooler, oilguard bypass, intank & pre-pump, reg return, Firestone air bags, Bilsteins, 350 HP/692 TQ
2000 Excursion- Pwrd by: T Wildman 6 pos chip, CT Performance Suspension, Riffraff Diesel Performance, J&M Tranny, 4" MBRP, 6637 filter, intank/prepump mods
post #14 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Freedom is not free

here is a better close up pick of the contaminated samples with the 137ULSW additive.

post #15 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Freedom is not free

Correction: I said the limit for water in Diesel was 100 ppm, that is not correct. It is higher than that. I need to find out what the ASTM standard is.

edit: from what I have found the allowable level is .05% which should equate to 500 ppm.

post #16 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 01:06 PM
PSN Veteran

awesome info! btw nice house.

05 f350 CCLB 4x4 delete and sct x4 thanks to innovative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSmokey View Post
Sh*t in a box (litterally) and write "Will give you 200+ hp, just add to your fuel" on the box and give it to him. Then ask him if he still believe's everything thats written on a box...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce51d View Post
if you can blow up a 7.3 just imagaine what you would do to a 6.0
post #17 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 02:59 AM
OEM Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Tom S

I made this a sticky in this section since there is some very good information in here. I also left the thread open so that others can add to this discussion or Rich can add information. Thanks Rick.

Tom

1996 F250 Powerstroke 4X4 AUTO
DP-Tuner F-6 chip live tuned, BTS Transmission, Garrett 38R Turbo, Swamps Injectors 150cc, electric fuel,
Banks Intercooler, Reflexxions Cowl Hood, 17 degree HPOP, 4" Stainless Magnaflow &
Aeroturbine exhaust, Aeroforce OBD Scan Gauge, Truxedo tonneau cover
Dana 60 Precision Metal Fab RSK and SD Springs
post #18 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 07:38 PM
oil burner

wow i guess i was lucky to get through the winter on straight no 2.i even had some oil mixed with it a few times and im sure that dont help.

96 f250, ZF5,160cc,
300k miles

96 f350 plow truck
post #19 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 03:52 AM
Missouri 05

my 1st year with a diesel....What is the temp that you have to worry about the fuel gelling? I am in the KCMO area and it is still in the 40s at night.
post #20 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 05:08 AM
PSN Veteran

no one has said this. BUT good god its cold where you live.
I do belive my blood would freeze their

2008 got a new flex pipe installed. S-b intake, 4in dp back exhaust, gear head tunes All deletes done now.
flow pro hot pipe. CCV mode.

2013 dodge charger

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.powerstrokenation.com/forums/24-fluids-discussion/53695-diesel-fuel-gel-test-pwr-srvc-howes-schaeffer.html
Posted By For Type Date
Power Service - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum Post #0 Refback 09-10-2016 04:20 AM
fuel additive - Page 2 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums This thread Refback 01-18-2016 04:48 AM
MUST READ intrested thread on Fuel Geling - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum Post #0 Refback 11-29-2015 03:32 AM
Diesel Fuel Gel Test - TheDieselGarage.com This thread Refback 11-08-2015 05:24 AM