2wd to 4wd conversion... - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 04:49 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

2wd to 4wd conversion...

Hey guys, I've got a couple questions for everybody. I want to convert to 4wd. Now this isn't exactly going to happen in the near future, but I like to do a lot of research and find out if anybody else has done what I plan on doing. I'm not just going to do a traditional "buy a donor truck and swap over all the parts", because I cant find a decent donor truck for less than $4-5000!

So my plan was, to do it in 2 steps. Which step first, it doesn't really matter.

Step 1: Get the front axle in the truck (the easy part, that I think i have 100% figured out)
Buy D60 from 95-97 so I can reuse my brakes and have no issues with swapping there, unless i can come up on a good deal for a different one. Yeah, newer sounds nice but I like my wheels and dont want to have to buy adapters, or convert anything, unless like i said, I get a really good deal.

Well, I dont want to do a leaf spring setup like most guys do, I work in an offroad shop, so I want it to have my own twist on it. So Ill make a radius arm suspension with a panhard bar (easy part, done it on dozens of trucks, and am actually currently doing it to an older bronco), and run a 10-12" coilover (depending on desired ride height) under the factory coilbucket (with custom bracketry to mount inside factory coilbucket). I wanted to do this to eliminate having to cut off stock brackets if I dont have to, this way I only remove the factory radius arm bracket, and if need be, it can be re-bolted in place. Then create a heimed steering system, and keeping my stock F-350 pitman arm. (everyone says they are longer and have a better turning radius, but is this the same for 2wd pitman arms?).

After step 1 is complete, the truck will atleast be driveable again, and should ride exceptionally well compared to the junk I-beams it has.

Step 2: Install Transfer Case. (Hard part, that I dont have a whole lot of experience in)

Now, I know my trans isn't in perfect shape, but i really dont feel like tearing it apart so I can search for a 4x4 tailshaft and matching transfercase to put in. Knowing my luck, it'll open up a can of worms that I dont want to deal with. So, I want to install a divorced NP205. Now since the truck has a 168" wheelbase, there is PLENTY of room under the truck to mount one under there lol. I see it as a win win in several ways, 1) divorced 205's can be found pretty cheap and commonly, 2) a 205 can be very stout, even in stock form, 3) no tearing apart tranny to install it, 4) sets the front output yoke further back in the truck, creating a longer front driveshaft, getting a better angle depending on desired ride height.

Now my plans are to run a 14-16" long jack-shaft, and since the stock driveshaft slips inside the tailshaft, I won't need a slip-joint like most jack-shafts, keeping costs a little lower.

Now mounting it, I dont have one to look at in front of me, but from my understanding, you can create a crossmember to go under or over. Well this thing isn't exactly a rock-crawler, So i'll probably mount it under, for simplicity.

Shifter linkages: ??? no idea how to accomplish this part

Driveshafts: Front driveline i will obviously need to get made custom, from what I can measure, it will probably end up being roughly 60" long. I most likely will not use a double cardone joint as it wont be necessary, since the driveline angle will be minimal (unless someone thinks otherwise?). The rear driveline I would like to get made into a one piece, as the stock carrier bearing will end up being really close to the rear output of the 205, so I'll probably take my stock driveshaft down to a shop and have it lengthened however long necessary and re-use it, shouldn't be more than 8" or so, but we'll see.

Anything else I might be missing? What do you all think? I've got a while to stew on this and figure out everything I need before starting, I just like to learn about this kind of stuff!

1996 California F350 SRW CCLB, 7.3 Powerstroke, 2wd E4OD, w/ 355,000 miles, rebuilt at 352k.
FUGA E-Fuel, T500, 3" DP w/ 4" Straight Pipe, Hydra w/ Swamps Tunes, RiffRaff Bellowed Up-Pipes, 203* TS,
K&N Intake, EBPV delete, High Flow Turbo Outlet, RiffRaff 4/4 Wheel w/ 360* Rebuild, GlowShift Gauges.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 11:49 AM
CAT lover

Re: 2wd to 4wd conversion...

I love the sound of your plan. I did a normal 4wd conversion to my truck but went the easy route with a RSK and leaf springs. The trans conversion was the hardest part but my 133" wheelbase didnt allow enough room for a divorced tcase and a 5" lift while keeping good driveline angles.

The shift linkage will be easy once everything is mounted, get a stock OBS ford 4wd linkage and just make the long link that goes from the shifter to the tcase longer.

cant wait to see this happen! sub'd

96 F250 RCLB 4x4 7.3
95 F250 RCLB 7.3 4x4 conversion with 5" Sky RSK, D60 front, 18" American Racing, 35" Nittos, DIY SD intercooler, Melling LPOP, DIY 6637, Baby Swamps with TS6 and Swamps tunes, boost pyro trans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 11:54 AM
PSN Veteran

You can shift a twin stick Np205 with cables no need for linkage.
cable shifters can be had for $300-800 or so depending on how fancy you go or you can even fabricate your own. A customer of mine used a super high end billet aluminum floor shifter console dealio with two cables to shift his twin sticked Ford NP205, its pretty dang slick and works very well.
https://jb-custom-fabrication.myshop...05-203-doubler

My only gripe with the Ford NP205 is its 1.6 to 1 low range is WEAK!!! We need lower gearing for trails and big tires...but there are no gear sets for the Ford version because the gears are already as large as they can be inside the NP205 housing = I would want to run a BW1356/205 doubler. Not such a big deal in a big diesel truck that wont see trails, but still I have a gripe

Divorced NP205 plentiful with a drivers side drop? Please educate me I am only familiar with the Ford Np205 they are getting harder to find a decent one and the speedo drive gear is getting really hard to find (without spending $150+)

Your truck should have a carrier bearing and a small support for the stock carrier bearing, this is a good place to begin your divorced t case mount
NP205 is HEAVY
there are NP205 mounting kits/crossmember that instead of using the sides of the t case it uses the ring around the input yoke to support the case, these are very nice

Exhaust, you may need to re route some exhaust to make room for driveshafts

Heim joint steering, to me sounds like trouble I would rather have some super tough tie rod ends

1997 CCFB 7.3, ZF5, 4x4, 4.10, baby swamps, TS6, 6.0 FMIC, RSK, 315 toyo at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Excursion 7.3, auto, 4x4, 3.73, freight train family hauler, collecting parts for suspension lift
2000 E350 7.3, auto 2wd, 3.73, toy hauler camper conversion...researching 4x conversion
Smart phones have made people stupid

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by 410customs View Post
You can shift a twin stick Np205 with cables no need for linkage.
cable shifters can be had for $300-800 or so depending on how fancy you go or you can even fabricate your own. A customer of mine used a super high end billet aluminum floor shifter console dealio with two cables to shift his twin sticked Ford NP205, its pretty dang slick and works very well.
https://jb-custom-fabrication.myshop...05-203-doubler

My only gripe with the Ford NP205 is its 1.6 to 1 low range is WEAK!!! We need lower gearing for trails and big tires...but there are no gear sets for the Ford version because the gears are already as large as they can be inside the NP205 housing = I would want to run a BW1356/205 doubler. Not such a big deal in a big diesel truck that wont see trails, but still I have a gripe

Divorced NP205 plentiful with a drivers side drop? Please educate me I am only familiar with the Ford Np205 they are getting harder to find a decent one and the speedo drive gear is getting really hard to find (without spending $150+)

Your truck should have a carrier bearing and a small support for the stock carrier bearing, this is a good place to begin your divorced t case mount
NP205 is HEAVY
there are NP205 mounting kits/crossmember that instead of using the sides of the t case it uses the ring around the input yoke to support the case, these are very nice

Exhaust, you may need to re route some exhaust to make room for driveshafts

Heim joint steering, to me sounds like trouble I would rather have some super tough tie rod ends
Right on, I'll do some research on universal 205 cable shifters, thank you!

The low range I think is 1.9:1, but your right, still weak. Only thing is, I'm not going to be crawling this thing, and I'll most likely only be using it when driving into the dunes with the trailer to camp. Low range won't be as necessary for me.

I've just seen a few on Craigslist for sale around $350, but I also vaguely remember reading somewhere that people flip the 205 over to make a passenger/driver side drop? If that's possible, I wonder if i can just get a passenger drop and flip it.

If I mount the 205 right under the carrier bearing mount, the jack shaft would end up being 3 feet or more, and the front drive line would be ridiculously long unfortunately. I do like that mount you posted for it, definitely going to look into something like that!

No exhaust on it right now, I just have the down pipe so no worries there.

1996 California F350 SRW CCLB, 7.3 Powerstroke, 2wd E4OD, w/ 355,000 miles, rebuilt at 352k.
FUGA E-Fuel, T500, 3" DP w/ 4" Straight Pipe, Hydra w/ Swamps Tunes, RiffRaff Bellowed Up-Pipes, 203* TS,
K&N Intake, EBPV delete, High Flow Turbo Outlet, RiffRaff 4/4 Wheel w/ 360* Rebuild, GlowShift Gauges.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 04:06 PM

Why not run a dodge dana 60 with your ttb spindles and hubs. Then it already has all the brackets on the axle. Down side is dodge calipers. Or run with ford dana 60 knuckles. If you can find them.
410customs likes this.

01 f-250, Standard
Rev tech 4" lift, 37" military wrangler Mt tires
KC diy 66, Full force 160/100 and custom tunes from PHP
Banks intercooler and full 4" exhaust, Diy S&B intake
Diy quad feed, Hydra, Isspro boost, pyro, and fuel pressure
3/0 battery cables with military style terminals
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 04:10 PM
PSN Veteran

perfect!
Yes I believe NP205 can be reversed now that you say that
Your VSS will stay in your 2wd tailhousing so no need to worry about that

There are several ways to support a np205, divorced setup just makes it easier to fab out of the truck. I crammed one into a 84 ranger with side fuel tank, 4r70w and V8. It fit perfectly! We made a nice support for it coming off the drivers frame rail and just left the rest of the case to hang off the trans tailhousing and trans mount....its been holding up fine
Cables approach the T case from the back so the cables will get longer and longer the further back you mount the t case

Quote:
NP-205 - (1973-1979, F100/F250 4x4). On F100s it was only offered as a 'married' setup. It was a 'divorced' setup on F250s through mid-'77 and then became 'married' up to '79. The NP-205 was a heavy-duty part-time, gear drive transfer case with a 1.96 low ratio (although another source reports 1.98:1 low ratio). It's smaller than the NP203 and about 40-50 pounds lighter. This is the choice of most hard-core off-roaders, due to it's strength.

Im doing 4x conversion on E350 sometime soon so its great to discuss all options (refresher)
Although I have no problem rebuilding the 4r100 and using the 4x tailhousing and output shaft...good time to do a soft rebuild on the auto, divorced is always an option

2001 Excursion 7.3, auto, 4x4, 3.73, freight train family hauler, collecting parts for suspension lift
2000 E350 7.3, auto 2wd, 3.73, toy hauler camper conversion...researching 4x conversion
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 04:13 PM
PSN Veteran

I had no idea D50 TTB spindles will fit the dodge d60
What is the advantage to that?

post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 04:24 PM

You ditch the unit bearings on the dodge and get manual hubs. Plus they are easier to find. And they already have the brackets for the 4 link.

To fit the spindle you have to weld up some of the mounting holes and redrill them. Ford is 5 bolt. Dodge is 4 bolt.

01 f-250, Standard
Rev tech 4" lift, 37" military wrangler Mt tires
KC diy 66, Full force 160/100 and custom tunes from PHP
Banks intercooler and full 4" exhaust, Diy S&B intake
Diy quad feed, Hydra, Isspro boost, pyro, and fuel pressure
3/0 battery cables with military style terminals
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Mine isn't a TTB though, it's a 2wd IBeam. So I would need to find spindles and hubs.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to run a Dodge/chevy front Axle and passenger side drop t case, downside would be a low pinion diff, and different brakes.

Do ford dana 60 spindles and hubs match up to a Chevy inner-C? I would imagine so?

Another option if I had to run driver side would be to blow out the plug welds on a passenger side D60 and flip flop the tubes side to side, putting the shorter of the 2 on the drivers side. But again, low pinion diff.

What do you guys think?

post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

After reading some more, flipping it might not be such a great idea, I guess it will leak out the shifter linkage and I'll have to drill a new vent into it. I'll just keep on the look out for a ford divorced 205.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode