Dash pad-friendly cleaning/protective agents? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Trust me, I got this...

Garage
Dash pad-friendly cleaning/protective agents?

So, just recently got a new dash pad. I care a lot about making it last and not crack like my last one. Anyone got any suggestions? Thanks guys.

Photo for ref, don't have time to photobucket it.

20170325_141701.jpg

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Shoulda bought a Cummins. May or may not have a cummins swap in the works.

1997 7.3L XLT, 4x4, 5spd, 307k, TS chip, 6637 filter, 4" straight piped dual exit

If you got a D60 or tan superduty/OBS seats PM me.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 08:13 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Dash pad-friendly cleaning/protective agents?

Heat is what cracks them.
Best thing you can do is a uv blocking film on the windshield.
Or get a windshield shade.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

1979 chevy c30 dually, sm465, 373's? Converted to 6.2 diesel, pump turned up and advanced a hair.(wrecked)
1994 ford F350 dually 4X4: 7.3 powerstroke, 5 speed. 6637, straight pipe into dual stacks. Cooper discoverer at/3's.
2010 Jetta TDI 40 or so mpg :flippa:
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 08:17 PM
PSN Veteran

It is actually heat and UV rays that cracks them up. So any protectant that says that it protects from UV rays such as ArmorAll should work.

I put a dash rug on mine when I bought my truck in 96 and the dash is still like new.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Trust me, I got this...

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79jasper View Post
Heat is what cracks them.
Best thing you can do is a uv blocking film on the windshield.
Or get a windshield shade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugman View Post
It is actually heat and UV rays that cracks them up. So any protectant that says that it protects from UV rays such as ArmorAll should work.

I put a dash rug on mine when I bought my truck in 96 and the dash is still like new.
Gotcha. So its just Sun I gotta be worried about and not which protector I use? Or I guess I should say, Sun is the only thing that can dry and crack it?

1997 7.3L XLT, 4x4, 5spd, 307k, TS chip, 6637 filter, 4" straight piped dual exit

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 01:06 AM
PSN Veteran

Sun is the only thing I would put a fight against to prevent cracking.
I mean, don't go cleaning your dash with gas or something.

1979 chevy c30 dually, sm465, 373's? Converted to 6.2 diesel, pump turned up and advanced a hair.(wrecked)
1994 ford F350 dually 4X4: 7.3 powerstroke, 5 speed. 6637, straight pipe into dual stacks. Cooper discoverer at/3's.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 01:28 PM
PSN Veteran

I use warm soapy water
No interior detailing products!!! I don't trust them plus all they do is collect dust or leave oily residue.
I used to use every product under the sun, now after detailing 1000 cars 10000 times I just use hot soapy water on a rag.
I power wash the carpet with degreaser and then soap, then rinse. Seats get hot soapy water and a brush, wet vac
All interior trim bits just get cleaned with soapy water
We tint our windows here and use windscreen shades when parked outside to protect our dashes from the very very harsh UV rays we have here at 9000'

Armor all is like Chapstick, once you use it you have to keep using it. Also I thought it was shown that Armor all actually cracks your dash faster? Maybe they changed their formula, but it would make sense to me that they want you to keep coming back.
Cummins Junkie likes this.

1997 CCFB 7.3, ZF5, 4x4, 4.10, baby swamps, TS6, RSK

2001 Excursion 7.3, auto, 4x4, 3.73, freight train family hauler, collecting parts for suspension lift
2000 E350 7.3, auto 2wd, 3.73, toy hauler camper conversion...researching 4x conversion
SEVEN POINT THREE LEAKER
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Trust me, I got this...

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 410customs View Post
I use warm soapy water
No interior detailing products!!! I don't trust them plus all they do is collect dust or leave oily residue.
I used to use every product under the sun, now after detailing 1000 cars 10000 times I just use hot soapy water on a rag.
I power wash the carpet with degreaser and then soap, then rinse. Seats get hot soapy water and a brush, wet vac
All interior trim bits just get cleaned with soapy water
We tint our windows here and use windscreen shades when parked outside to protect our dashes from the very very harsh UV rays we have here at 9000'

Armor all is like Chapstick, once you use it you have to keep using it. Also I thought it was shown that Armor all actually cracks your dash faster? Maybe they changed their formula, but it would make sense to me that they want you to keep coming back.
I suppose that makes sense as to why I am plagued with constant dust on my dashboard. The material used in this dash stuff seems so fragile that I would've thought common cleaning chemicals like armorall would harm it. Thanks for that input.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 04:29 PM
PSN Veteran

Some of them leave a oily residue.
Search around on YouTube for detailing videos.
Main ones I like are obsessed garage and ammo NYC.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 06:21 PM
PSN Veteran

The problem with hot soapy water is that it is not going to protect the dash from the UV rays that are going to come through the windshield. And if it is going to protect the dash it is going to leave some kind of residue for the protection.
410customs likes this.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 10:22 PM
Officially Addicted

I really like 303 Aerospace Protectant. It protects from UV and doesn't really leave a film or anything. I use it more on the boat, but it has worked will on that, as well my wife and I's trucks.

1997 F350 CCLB, 3" DP to 5" Straight Pipe, DIY Intake, 6.0 Tranny Cooler,Adrenaline, Irate Electric Fuel, Matt's Tunes and SD Seats ... IC and H2E sitting in the garage.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode