ANOTHER injector question - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
STILL LEARNING

ANOTHER injector question

I am pretty much rebuilding another 97. It has about 260k on it an when I owned it 13 years and 30k ago, I had 3 reman injectors put in.

I figured since I am tearing it down to the frame, why not also put a fresh set of 8 injectors in it(along with a bunch of other stuff)

Rosewood is going to be doing them and I am not sure how to get them done. When I talked to Jim he said there was no up-charge to go from stock 90cc injectors to the 160cc. But my question is, what size nozzles should I go with? I am thinking I am NOT going to put a chip in the truck(but ya never know) Can I run a 160cc/80% nozzle with stock tuning? Or will it not run right and I have to put a tune in it.

The big thing is, I am building this truck to be my daily driver while I put a 4bt into my Ranger. Once that is done I will be selling this OBS to put money into my pole barn fund.

So please, tell me what direction to go

Looking for Blue 40-20-40 seat for OBS. PM me if any known
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 07:35 PM
alleged moderator

Re: ANOTHER injector question

i would ask Jim what he thinks and what he would do if it was his truck.

tom
owner of almost to many fords.

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 07:38 PM

I put a set of 160/0 in my step dads truck and it runs great on factory tuning. I don't know about running larger nozzles on factory tuning.
I do know that the factory fuel system and turbo will run the 160/0.
I personally wouldn't go above a 160/30. 80% and 100% nozzles won't do much on a daily driver. I really don't like mine. Wish I would of kept the 160/0's I sold my stepdad.

01 f-250, Standard
Rev tech 4" lift, 37" military wrangler Mt tires
KC diy 66, Full force 160/100 and custom tunes from PHP
Banks intercooler and full 4" exhaust, Diy S&B intake
Diy quad feed, Hydra, Isspro boost, pyro, and fuel pressure
3/0 battery cables with military style terminals

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 08:10 PM
ZipTieologist

160/30's had no smoke on a stock tune. I have them detuned in my tow and my daily and up all are normal, the nozzles make it smokey down low till it gets into boost on my highest tune, like slight throttle going up a small incline and it's comparable to a light fog behind me. Mine have been great so far and I average the same when driving normally.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

1997 Ford F250 ZF5 4x4
376k miles
D60 Swap
TS6-Diesel Innovation Tunes
Luk Clutch
Glowshift gauges (still work lol)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
STILL LEARNING

Thanks for the input

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 12:00 PM
PSN Local

160/0 here on my daily driver and they are working well. Run fine without a chip too.

1997 CCSB, 7.3/E4OD
Full Force Stg 1 injectors, 3" DP, 4" exhaust, E-Fuel, 7.3 Intercooler, WW2, 1.0 Exhaust Housing, TS Chip, remote coolant filter, and VB.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 02:37 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97fordWyatt View Post
160/30's had no smoke on a stock tune
How often do you run in the stock tune? Enough to give your input on how much of an improvement it is over stock injectors? You say your 'daily' and 'tow' tune detune them, this seems to say that a tune is really preferential for 160/30?

Also, whose tunes do you run?

My question to the others that say the 160/0 injectors 'run great'...what does this mean...notable improvement in performance and no significant decrease in MPG?...or other observations? Your real world experiences are helpful.

Looks like Brad is trying to put the smartest injector, most performance improvement but with the least supporting mods (and cost) as practical. My internet trolling leads me to believe that the AC code injector is the same as a 100/0. What I haven't discovered is if the factory IDM can operate these efficiently.

1996 F250 CCSB, 4x4, auto PSD, stainless window vents.

Signature file limitations keep me from sharing more information. Follow this link to find my threads: D60 RSK install, Air vent cleaning, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 02:55 AM
ZipTieologist

I bought 160/30 P.I.S injectors through Corey at CNC Fab. If I was gonna compare stock injectors with a stock tune versus my new ones on stock tune the new ones just work better. 384k originals are trash compared to the new ones, simply worn out. Sorry for my lack of punctuation originally, my tow tune is detuned because it would smoke excessively, David Lott with Diesel Innovations tuned my truck. Spent 3hrs messing with the tow, daily, street, and race tunes driving around data logging, David doesn't work much with manuals so any data helps, icp and duty cycle ramp up on a race tune for an auto has a snowball's chance in hell for working in a manual. I still average 16mpg mixed driving with a few on-ramp pulls every other day. Average 17.5 on my daily tune for a 130 mile trip all hand calculated with a half gallon added just to keep me honest. I ran my new injectors on the original custom tunes I had for my stock injectors and it performed like it should, but from 2200rpm and up it would pull harder, difference in age and tolerances is all I can say.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

1997 Ford F250 ZF5 4x4
376k miles
D60 Swap
TS6-Diesel Innovation Tunes
Luk Clutch
Glowshift gauges (still work lol)
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 03:25 AM
PSN Local

I honestly didn't notice much difference over the stock injectors going to the 160/0 and a stock tune. Both saw 15 pounds of boost, and both had little to no smoke. Put a chip in it and I get 35#'s of boost and it's a completely different truck. Throttle response is better, mid range is vastly improved. If you aren't after a power improvement, 160's with a stock tune, then just go with stock injectors or a 75hp tune with stock injectors. IMHO.....stock injectors feel the same as 160's if the tune is stock.

1997 CCSB, 7.3/E4OD
Full Force Stg 1 injectors, 3" DP, 4" exhaust, E-Fuel, 7.3 Intercooler, WW2, 1.0 Exhaust Housing, TS Chip, remote coolant filter, and VB.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
STILL LEARNING

Ok, for those with 160s and a tune. Are you still running the stock turbo?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode