Transmission on 1996 f250 - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Transmission on 1996 f250

Transmission is shifting a little hard expecially into 3rd gear. I was wondering if changing the speed sensor would help or if there is something else I need to look at. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 12:49 PM
PSN Local

Re: Transmission on 1996 f250

Could be the speed sensor. Speedometer bouncing? Are you throwing any codes? TPS There are lots of variables in transmission shifts. My icp sensor on a 95 I had made my tranny shift real hard.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 01:52 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeglenj1 View Post
Transmission is shifting a little hard expecially into 3rd gear. I was wondering if changing the speed sensor would help or if there is something else I need to look at. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
If the speed sensor is the problem, changing it will fix this. If it isn't the problem you've just wasted time and money.

If you want to really fix this, get the codes read. That will lead you to the problem. The places that read codes free CANNOT read these codes. You need either a good independent shop or a Ford dealer.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Ok thanks I have a guy that can read them.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 12:40 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
If the speed sensor is the problem, changing it will fix this. If it isn't the problem you've just wasted time and money.

If you want to really fix this, get the codes read. That will lead you to the problem. The places that read codes free CANNOT read these codes. You need either a good independent shop or a Ford dealer.
Good advice. A good scan tool is worth it's weight in gold and will save you a lot of money in the long run.

Hopefully there is a code thrown for the issue you are having. That will make it easy.

Justin Bochmann

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Like us on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 01:22 AM
PSN Newb

Where are the speed sensors located? Are there multiple speed sensors?

My speedometer bounced once and a while at first but then seemed to work fine. But, the shifting was pretty hard. Sounds like what people have talked about. Sounds like I need to replace mine?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 01:47 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmcpherson View Post
Where are the speed sensors located? Are there multiple speed sensors?
There is one speed sensor. It's mounted on the rear axle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmcpherson View Post
My speedometer bounced once and a while at first but then seemed to work fine. But, the shifting was pretty hard. Sounds like what people have talked about. Sounds like I need to replace mine?

It seems like I've said that before, somewhere. It sure sounds familiar....
aussamdad likes this.

Mark

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 04:39 PM
PSN Newb

Ok ok, I see you posted that previously^ dont get sassy with me. A few questions I have is if the speedometer is bouncing a bit, would the speed sensor be the only thing that could cause this? OR could the Bouncing speedometer be from a different problem aside from the hard shifting?

I understand that a code reader would be the best idea. But I would personally would like to fix the problem without one. simply because I think I cant do it and that I think there are enough smart people on here that can help. No offence to the code reader idea.

Also what is the part number on the speed sensor on the axle?

Thank you for the help
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 04:57 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

The problem could be the speed sensor, the PSOM module, or the speedometer itself. I recommend replacing all of those. That way you're likely to replace the actual problem part.

I got sassy because you asked the identical question I answered above. Did you think you'd get a different answer?
aussamdad likes this.

Mark

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 10:08 PM
PSN Newb

I understand what your saying. What is this PSOM module?

Thanks

That OBS Life

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode