Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

97 with high EGTS Need HELP

14K views 47 replies 8 participants last post by  boostedretard 
#1 ·
I have a 97 Cali model that I've had for over ten years. Just hit 132,000 on it.

I have a
1 AFE intake
2 After market down pipe plus 4inch from there back with no kitty on it. Still have muffler
3 Old Super Chip up grading to a TS 6 position and TS informant haven't done it yet but it's ordered and on its way.
4 after market clutch

I'm running at 1250 EGTS when pulling a 5000lbs trailer but I have to back off when I get to bigger hills to keep my EGTS there plus some times have to down shift to get a drop in them. Speed I see is I'm at 50 some times a little lower on bigger hills.

Was thinking about a intercooler for it but don't know if I need one or if there are better options out there as in other mods to help. Will the new chip help with lower EGTS than the Old super chip and if so about what kinda drop would I see.

My truck is stock other than the stuff I listed.

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
What level are you running on the chip? If youre on the highest setting that may explain it. I wouldn't do anything till you put the ts 6 on there. That may solve itm custom tunes would be best but until then the canned ts tow tune should be fine for you.

#3 ·
If you ever plan on upgrading injectors I would buy the hydra. If not I would get the ts6 chip with php tunes. Cncfabricationllc dot com or ktpreformance dot com.

#5 ·
Also almost for got but when I'm running at that extra 60hp and pulling a trailer I can only boost up to about 12 to 15 not sure if this is normal or if my boost gage was put in wrong. Should be able to double check once I get the informant put in. Plus going to have my turbo boots and down pipe checked for leaks but that won't be until March 1st

#6 ·
Depends on who you ordered it from but if they had you full in a bunch of specs maybe so then. I don't know anybody who has a superchip but I'd think you'd see higher boost numbers. Unless that 60 hp tune is specifically designed for towing and to keep boost down or something. Is that 12 to 15 getting into it or just easing into it?

#7 ·
12 to 15 kinda getting in to it.

The place I ordered my chip from called me a few times to get my pcm code off of truck plus wanted to know if it was a automatic or manual they said they need the pcm code so they could tune it to my truck.

#8 ·
That dont sound like a custom tuned chip. Was it $300 or $500?

I had a gold superchip in my truck when I bought it and I really liked it. I still have it just in case I get the opportunity to use it again.

Your boost is low and most likely why your egts are high. You need to do a thorough check for boost and pre turbo exhaust leaks. I would bet you will find some. You would be amazed how a small leak can cause big headaches.

The downpipe will not cause your boost problems. The up pipes and exhaust manifolds will.

#9 ·
Is this a chip or a programmer that you have? I don't recall Superchips ever having a multiple position chip and the programmer levels aren't designated by horsepower.

At what altitude are you seeing these EGTs and boost numbers? High altitude will spike EGTs, but boost would be pretty much unaffected.

#11 ·
My California with a pos Banks chip ran 1350* post turbo pulling 10k uphill, going to a newer chip/decent tunes made 1050* preturbo. Real tunes should make for lower EGTs in your truck. I did have an intercooler though. Make sure your tuner knows you do not have an intercooler.

Uppipe gaskets are a good place to start checking for exhaust leaks.

#13 ·
Those are normal numbers. Stock turbos don't see much higher than 20 and my 6.4 cruises flat ground at 2 or 3 as well. Up a hill is a different story.

Im blaming the superchips for now

#15 ·
I ran the canned php tunes for some time on my rig. They are strong. I left it in 80hp all the time. A little Smokey before the turbo lights but night and day difference. Highest pressure I had seen is 23 psi with completely stock turbo and only a downpipe. (ZF5 w/ 3.55) and you have to try hard to exceed 1100° even towing lightly foot heavy up a steep grade.

If you plan to upgrade in the future I will go with the Hydra chip. The TS6 is old hardware. Hydra has many great improvements. Unless you have an automatic canned tunes on a nearly Stock truck are fine. Custom tuning can refine even a stock injector truck but gains are negligible and only to improve on drivability.

#17 ·
I'm in tow performance on the super chip my bad on missing it for some reason I thought the programmer came with something saying it was a 60hp setting at that leavel.

I'm only pulling a trailer that is about max wight of 5500lbs on that setting but the trailer isn't even weighted down that much when I'm pulling it.

I heard going with a 6 position chip would be better and help with lower EGTS.

I tow that trailer a few times a year and mainly in the summer plus a few other trailers nothing to big.

#18 ·
My super chip has theses settings on there paperwork

Stock
Standered programming for pulling over 4000 lbs
Off Road programming for pulling under 4000 lbs

I thought I had tow performance but I'm wrong this programmer is super old. Got this supper chip when I got the truck from my dad the guy that had the programmer be for me not to sure how long he had it I'm thinking it's got to be about 16 years old maybe more.

#19 ·
Did you order a stanard TS6 with TS6 tunes? If so do yourself a favor and return it. The generic tunes they use have been said to be weak. I personally like PHP. Bill is the father of the 7.3 tuning software as it is.

#20 ·
I got one for 150.00 but might keep it to have a back up chip that I can send in for different tunes. I'm going to order a Php from ktperformance or if some on else knows of a better place to order from let me know.

Was going to tune
1 stock
2 high idle
3 DD not sure what one 60 or 80
4 tow not sure 25 or 40
5 tow not sure 60 or 80
6 anti theft

This is what I'm thinking because I don't have a intercooler
1 stock
2 high idle
3 DD not sure what one
4 Tow 25
5 Tow 60
6 anti theft

Any help on picking tunes for my application would be great not sure what tow tune is comparable to superchips standered tune on the 1700
Just trying to find some that would help keep my EGTS down. For the most part I don't really have a heavy foot but sometimes it is fun to get on it.

#21 ·
I would highly consider the hydra chip. The chip comes blank. If you buy thru PHP you get access to the library of canned tunes. With the extension cable you don't have to pull the chip to change a slot. Just plug the laptop in and load the calibration in the spot you want. You get 15 programmable positions and 2 non (chip bypass and no start) You can also unplug the switch from the chip after enabling no start and unless someone pulls the chip it cannot be started. If you want custom tunes you pay and a tuner emails you the file and you simply download it to any position. The hydra is only a little more $$$ than a TS6. Also if you ever want to try self tuning PHP sells the Hydra/Minotaur software as a package deal that saves a couple hundred.

#22 ·
I like the hydra but the only down side I have to it is that I have to download other stuff on my computer to get it to work since I have a Mac. Do they pre load it with tunes so I don't have to unless I do other mods to my truck.

#23 ·
That might be a problem I don't have a MAC. As for the tunes if you have an automatic the tow to the daily driver to the hot tunes matter as the shift strategies are different on a manual a 80T vs 80DD will be the same tune as the fueling maps are the same. The obs injectors are very low capacity 90cc injectors a 80hp tune is not going to hurt a 7.3

#27 ·
I take it back just a little. There are very small changes from a tow to a daily to a performance level tune. I actually ran thru all the maps and multipliers and overlaid the maps. The changes are very little however and with a stick I have never felt a difference between a T , DD or P tune of same power level.

#26 ·
You can get the hydra pre loaded. I say pick up a cheapo used laptop. Then you can use it for just the truck.

#29 ·
So many variables to say. The right foot and driving habits seem to be the best regulator of fuel economy. I see 16-18 around town and up to 20 even towing light out on the highway and like I said I left it in the hotter tune.If you are worried about fuel eco make sure all the sensors are in good shape and make sure the EBP sensor tube is clean they get plugged with soot over time.

#30 ·
Since I have a manual transmission does the diffrence in Daily Driver, Tow and performance really make any diffrence with my truck.

I also have a new TS informant6 and already have a Pyro and Turbo Boost gauges what other stuff should I be monitoring with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.