Day 1 - Under truck work: mount filters
Day 2 - Top of engine: remove and plumb new system
I bought the kit from No Limit Tuning & Design. Kit came pretty much complete. NLTD uses a Walbro pump and black nylon racing hose in their kit.
Well, I can't leave anything alone and started modifying it. I decided to install a SD
Pump and throw the Walbro pump in the spare parts bin. The SD
pump came with the pigtail. I wanted to set up the pump for easy removal if it malfuntioned while on the road. The connector for the pump was sourced from a Crown Vic front corner light. I unpinned the CV connector and installed heavier gauge wire.
Mounting the filters was pretty much straight forward.
The filters are Wix 533912 (pre-30 micron) and Wix 533911 (post - 5 micron). The filter heads are Stanadyne FM100 Fuel Manager.
The blue fitting on the pump is Russell 640860 (5/16 Push on EFI fitting). There isn't enough room on the inlet side for the fitting to properly lock. For the inlet side, I clamped the racing hose. Should be alright because it's suction.
I installed a ball valve before the pre-filter. This way if I have to change filters with full tanks, they won't gravity drain.
The rumor is that the front tank doesn't gravity feed--->is totally BS.
The feed line to motor is the bottom line (3/8 tubing) going to the top inner port (closest to frame) of the selector valve. I removed the factory rubber hose and triple clamped the racing hose (-6AN). I decided to use the existing 3/8 feed tubing. The return line was not touched on the frame. I cut back the factory rubber feed hose and attached to the valve. Prior to the valve is a 45* 1/4NPT x 3/8 barb fitting. Yea, I know the brake line needs some attention.
Prior going topside, I started the truck and the mechanical pump was able to prime the filters.
The plan was to re-feed the factory banjo. I bought the adapters so I have mininum work.....or atleast thought so.
The driver side head fitting was leaking. You guys think that leaking fitting caused any performance issues? I wonder why???
So off with the turbo. When I removed the turbo, the collector was all loose and soot was the back side. Yea, I had Bean's brass donuts. I guess they didn't work as they were suppose too. I thought to myself, ahh screw the uppipes, so what if they leak alittle. Remember my original plan, just do the fuel system. The next project was to install 3" plenums, billet wheel and if I felt like it, one piece up-pipe.
So I proceed to cut out the dopey fuel fitting on the driver side head. Cut it out no problem and came right out.
I cut the fuel feed (3/8) and return (5/16) lines in the valley. I used steel compression fittings adapted to -6AN (3/8 tube compression x 3/8 MNPT & 3/8 FNPT x -6AN/JIC) and -4AN (5/16 tube compression x 1/4 MNPT & 1/4 FNPT x -4 AN/JIC). I reused and attached the factory return lines to the regulator. You can see fittings in the lower right hand corner of the engine pic below, I will post close ups of the compression fittings at a later time.
The more I'm touching the turbo collector, the more I'm thinking....fix right right or I'll be removing the turbo again.
So out with the up-pipes......Yep, wasted my time cutting the fuel fitting. With the up-pipes out, the fitting would have came right out.
This was the leak on the collector.
Now I can use normal fittings to feed the heads. Instead of using nylon hose topside, I went with stainless braided racing hose, figure it's more heat resistant that the nylon stuff. So I made up the passenger side. I had some heat sleeving left over from my race car. I heat sleeve the hose because it's close to the exhaust/DP. That went smoothly. Next I go make up the driver side, I'm short one hose end because I didn't plan on making hoses to feed the heads.
So right now, this how topside looks:
Since everything is apart, I ordered:
- one piece up-pipes
- 3" billet intakes
- billet wheel for the D66 (38R wheel)
- hose reducers for the spyder
- various fittings to finish the fuel lines
Hopefully the parts will be here by Friday (lost a day due to Labor Day). I'm hoping air flow/spool up will be much better due to the exhaust.
Will update this thread with pics of topside.