97 f350 OBS clutch safety switch gone - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

97 f350 OBS clutch safety switch gone

I have a 1997 F350 obs with the 7.3 powerstroke and zf5 manual transmission. When I got the truck the clutch safety switch was removed and bypassed I believe.. but what I've read was that there is 4 wires coming from that safety switch, two of them are to prevent the truck from starting when the clutch isn't Pressed in and the other two are for the cruise control so it knows to stop cruise control when the clutch gets pressed.. am I correct on that? And the only thing that baffles me is apparently the connector was cut off and I can't seem to find the wires that go to the clutch safety switch, so where should I look for these wires? And what color are they because I can't seem to find them underneath the dash. The truck currently starts without the clutch being pressed but the cruise control does not work and I need cc because my foot is a little heavy if I don't have cruise control on haha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 12:12 AM
PSN Newb

Re: 97 f350 OBS clutch safety switch gone

I've got a 94 powerstroke zf5. My cruise also doesn't work and will start without the clutch depressed. I have a pretty strong feeling this is for my clutch switch just haven't had the time to really dig into it. But here's a picture of the empty connector I've got located just above the brake pedal with 4 wires as you describe and what I assume to be the clutch switch that came in my glove box. I'd be interested to see what comes out of this because I'm a huge fan of cruise and have never had it on any of my own vehicles.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 12:15 AM
PSN Newb

Looks like red/lt blue,red/blue which on mine is soldered to a black,brown/blue, white/violet,

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Yeah I think I see some loose wires on mine that might be for the safety switch, a blue/red a white/purple and a white/red (maybe pink)... but the 4th wire is gone.. I think the other blue/red is the missing one but none are tied together so I don't know how it even starts haha, where are those wires coming from on yours? Mine are coming from like right above the brake pedal but they're not in a loom.. as I was writing this I figured out the white/purple is hot lol made a little spark on accident.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 12:38 AM
PSN Newb

Mine are kinda hokey in a loom only for a couple inches up into the main harness in the dash directly above the brake pedal. That harness runs just above the floor air vents. I don't have any tools with me (power probe, test light) but I can check it out tomorrow at work if nobody else comes to save the day first. I think you've found the wires you're looking for

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 12:51 AM
PSN Newb

Looks like one red/lt blue comes from ignition switch and the other red/lt blue goes to the starter relay. W/p comes from fuse block hot it run and t/lb goes to pcm

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 01:24 AM
Because I can!!!

Is there a chance that they used an auto jumper on the connector and have it hooked up outa the way? Was it by chance a auto that got 5spd swapped?

97 F350 cclb
Lots of go fast parts
Dark candy apple now- twas a 7 different color project truck
5spd swap with SBC

And a 98 Chevy k1500 dd - leveled and looks pretty but is slow as hell!!

OBS FOR LIFE!!!!
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

thatchevyguy- what do you mean by autojumper? and im pretty sure it was always a 5 speed but how would i find out for sure? the safety switch was never there ever since i bought it so hmm..
edwester03- what wire are you talking about when you say t/lb?
and i believe i have a picture attached of what i believe used to be the safety switch wires; the 3 wires i drew by in red are the ones i can find and all the other ones are just what i pulled from behind the metal support bracket thingy that the main dash harness rests on. tell me if yall get the pic because im not exactly sure how to upload yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0032.jpg (8.6 KB, 14 views)
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 02:43 AM
Because I can!!!

Ok yours was cut off. The harness is there in every truck. If the truck is an auto it has a jumper cap on it which closes the circuit. And if you were to swap a 5spd or put the jumper cap in a 5spd it would allow you to start the truck without pushing the clutch in but cruise would still work it just wouldn't shut off when you pushed the clutch in and would redline

Now your gonna have to do some tracing if the wiring to find where they messed with it. I'm not sure what there intentions were or what they did

97 F350 cclb
Lots of go fast parts
Dark candy apple now- twas a 7 different color project truck
5spd swap with SBC

And a 98 Chevy k1500 dd - leveled and looks pretty but is slow as hell!!

OBS FOR LIFE!!!!
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 02:44 AM
PSN Newb

Pictures a little too blurry to make out but t/lb I would take as tan and light blue or brown and blue. However you want to see that upside down with a flashlight haha. I'll test the 4 wires at lunch tomorrow and let you know what I come up with. 2 wires are for starting the starting system system(the red and blue ones) which honestly I'm not concerned with starting with clutch depressed. I already do out of habit. The white and brown ones are for the cruise control.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode