question about fan clutch removal - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

question about fan clutch removal

Couple of questions to clarify fan clutch removal. I have an OBS truck, correct me if I am wrong. The nut is part of the fan clutch, correct? So when the clutch comes off the large nut is attached to the clutch. If I understand right since the clutch has right hand threads the nut on the clutch needs to turn to the right while the water pump pulley is held for the clutch to be removed. The reason I ask is that Alldatadiy states to turn the nut counterclockwise which I think would be tightening it. It's on tight it is not budging either way I turn it but I want to make sure I am removing it correctly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 02:19 AM
Master BS'er

Re: question about fan clutch removal

Yes, the nut is part of the clutch. It turns counter clockwise from your perspective. They can be a real pain in the cornshoot. I generaly use an air hammer and a chizle when they get stuck.
410customs likes this.

Jamie.

p.s...I'm pretty frickin awesome!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 06:15 AM
BigMo

Lect handed thread on those....u can get reasonably cheap removal tools from Northern, NAPA, A-Zone etc...two long wrenches just that size, some have a square on the end for 1/2" breaker bar......soak good, little heat, go....

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
410customs likes this.

BigMo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 12:04 PM
PSN Veteran

I had to remove the waterpump from the engine, then clamped the whole assembly down to my flatbed and used a 4' breaker bar on the end of the wrench in order to break mine loose. Air chisel only bitched up the nut and this is after soaking and heat...... Next time I will just buy a new one...that was a real PITA

1997 CCFB 7.3, ZF5, 4x4, 4.10, baby swamps, TS6, RSK
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Excursion 7.3, auto, 4x4, 3.73, freight train family hauler, collecting parts for suspension lift
2000 E350 7.3, auto 2wd, 3.73, toy hauler camper conversion...researching 4x conversion
21.9 liters there is no replacement for displacement!!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 01:08 PM
PSN Local

I just did my water pump last week. Thankfully my clutch just spin right off. Sounds like they can be bad. No room in there.

1997 CCSB, 7.3/E4OD
Full Force Stg 1 injectors, 3" DP, 4" exhaust, E-Fuel, 7.3 Intercooler, WW2, 1.0 Exhaust Housing, TS Chip, remote coolant filter, and VB.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiesaun View Post
Yes, the nut is part of the clutch. It turns counter clockwise from your perspective. They can be a real pain in the cornshoot. I generaly use an air hammer and a chizle when they get stuck.
Never mind I see why it's so hard - I can see the marks from an air chisel.

Last edited by mrvmax; 05-15-2017 at 11:54 PM. Reason: got it
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 12:11 PM
PSN Veteran

yes mine had been air chisseled before also, it would have been nice if they put anti seize on it before they spun it back on
I did so I'm hoping it comes off somewhat easier next time when I can afford to replace it!
Expensive bugger

1997 CCFB 7.3, ZF5, 4x4, 4.10, baby swamps, TS6, RSK

2001 Excursion 7.3, auto, 4x4, 3.73, freight train family hauler, collecting parts for suspension lift
2000 E350 7.3, auto 2wd, 3.73, toy hauler camper conversion...researching 4x conversion
21.9 liters there is no replacement for displacement!!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 03:35 PM
PSN Veteran

I put mine on with blue loctite.
I guess it helped seal out moisture, because it came off easy when I had to remove it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

1979 chevy c30 dually, sm465, 373's? Converted to 6.2 diesel, pump turned up and advanced a hair.(wrecked)
1994 ford F350 dually 4X4: 7.3 powerstroke, 5 speed. 6637, straight pipe into dual stacks. Cooper discoverer at/3's.
2010 Jetta TDI 40 or so mpg :flippa:
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 04:12 PM
PSN Local

It's Right hand thread, not left, so to loosen it, your wrench will have to spin towards the passenger side.

There are some really nice tools out there (I bought mine from Matco tools), that is an attachment for an air hammer. It's got the wrench slot in the tool and then an attachment to attach to the air hammer. It does not damage the nut on the clutch, and it comes off SUPER easy. Mine was on for 350,000 and it came off with one small hit of the air hammer.

I can get the part number for the tool if anyone needs it.

1996 California F350 SRW CCLB, 7.3 Powerstroke, 2wd w/ 354,400 miles, rebuilt at 352,250.
FUGA E-Fuel, T500 HPOP, 3" Diamond Eye DP w/ 4" Straight Pipe, PHP Hydra w/ Swamps Tunes, RiffRaff Bellowed Up-Pipes,
K&N Intake, EBPV delete, High Flow Turbo Outlet, RiffRaff 4/4 Wheel w/ 360* Rebuild, GlowShift Gauges.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 06:25 PM
BigMo

Cudnt sworn it was left hand when i had mine of.....but it has been a few yrs ago....sorry if i mislead

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

BigMo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode