Question on transfer case/zf 5 fluid change - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Question on transfer case/zf 5 fluid change

I have searched but cannot find answer. I have a 1997 f 250 with the zf5 and a borg warner transfer case. This truck is new to me, and I am working my way around resetting all fluids. After I drained the T case I expected to fill with 2qts as suggested, but it ended up taking 3qts. Granted I live in the dirt and I picked the flattest place I could, usually where I do most my truck maintenance. It's fairly flat.

Is there a seal between the t case and ZF 5 that can leak and cause fluid exchange between the two? I checked the tranny fluid before I did the T case and fluid started coming out the fill hole, I disregarded this until the T case took three quarts. Now I am wondering.

Also, I used Mobil 1 ATF syn to fill the t case. Am wanting to use Transynd for the tranny. Unless they are swapping fluid, then I guess it will be Mobil 1 in both until I can get to fixing the seal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 03:35 PM
Trust me, I got this...

Garage
Re: Question on transfer case/zf 5 fluid change

No, the transfer case is an individual sealed unit. The seals can leak though. Fluid coming out the fill hole is good, that means it has the proper amount in it. (should just be a small stream down the side of the trans, if its dumping out then it was overfilled). I personally, would highly recommend using Motorcraft atf instead, just out of principle alone.

Shoulda bought a Cummins. May or may not have a cummins swap in the works.

1997 7.3L XLT, 4x4, 5spd, 307k, TS chip, 6637 filter, 4" straight piped dual exit

If you got a D60 or tan superduty/OBS seats PM me.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 04:51 PM
PSN Veteran

Personally I stick to what ford recommends.
The trans can leak into the tcase, but not the other way around. You would have to have the rear end about four foot higher than the front.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

1979 chevy c30 dually, sm465, 373's? Converted to 6.2 diesel, pump turned up and advanced a hair.(wrecked)
1994 ford F350 dually 4X4: 7.3 powerstroke, 5 speed. 6637, straight pipe into dual stacks. Cooper discoverer at/3's.
2010 Jetta TDI 40 or so mpg :flippa:

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 06:54 PM
alleged moderator

i agree with the above. motorcraft ATF only in both trans and t-case.

tom
owner of almost to many fords.

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 09:21 PM
PSN Veteran

Neither unit can possibly leak into the other. There's a spacer between them, and both have shaft seals. If either one leaks, it leaks into the spacer. The fluid can't go from the spacer into either case.

And unless that Motorcraft ATF is synthetic, it should NOT be used in the tranny, since ZF requires synthetic.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Neither unit can possibly leak into the other. There's a spacer between them, and both have shaft seals. If either one leaks, it leaks into the spacer. The fluid can't go from the spacer into either case.

And unless that Motorcraft ATF is synthetic, it should NOT be used in the tranny, since ZF requires synthetic.
Thanks for the intel, staring to just wonder how I got three quarts in the t case. I will check it when I get to level ground and see if how much comes out with fill plug removed and call it good.
Yeah, the side of the zf 5 I have has a label on it that states only synthetic fluid should be used. And I did some digging and I believe that Castrol Transynd is what actually came in the tranny. ZF says to use it as well, and they made the tranny.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 10:04 PM
PSN Veteran

Mercon V is full synthetic

1997 CCFB 7.3, ZF5, 4x4, 4.10, baby swamps, TS6, RSK
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Excursion 7.3, auto, 4x4, 3.73, freight train family hauler, collecting parts for suspension lift
2000 E350 7.3, auto 2wd, 3.73, toy hauler camper conversion...researching 4x conversion
21.9 liters there is no replacement for displacement!!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 12:38 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workman View Post
And I did some digging and I believe that Castrol Transynd is what actually came in the tranny. ZF says to use it as well, and they made the tranny.
That rings a bell. And of course, Borg-Warner made the t-case. So I'm not sure why the push. Motorcraft lubes for components not made by Ford.

And it's for sure an F250, right? Original t-case? I ask because the t-cases in the F350s had a different outer case, with a plate for a PTO, and a second, higher fill plug in the front. You use this fill plug to put more fluid in it to use the PTO. But just to be sure, your case only has the one fill plug on the back?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 02:00 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
That rings a bell. And of course, Borg-Warner made the t-case. So I'm not sure why the push. Motorcraft lubes for components not made by Ford.

And it's for sure an F250, right? Original t-case? I ask because the t-cases in the F350s had a different outer case, with a plate for a PTO, and a second, higher fill plug in the front. You use this fill plug to put more fluid in it to use the PTO. But just to be sure, your case only has the one fill plug on the back?
It is in a 97 f 250, and it's the original t case. One plug on the back says drain, and the other fill. Pretty idiot proof.
I parked it on level ground today, pulled fill plug, and nothing came out. Level is up to the top of hole. Guess it takes three quarts!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 03:41 PM
PSN Veteran

For the ZF 5 I use Redline MTF excellent product especially if higher mileage, iirc I put in 4 litres.

Cheers,

j

Red 97 F250 CC 3:55, D60 Air Locker front, 175/80s, T500, TW files, Tymar, SD I/C, 6.0 fan, E-air, E-Fuel, SRK, SD springs front/rear, 145 litre rear tank (now ZF-5
).
White / Silver 96 F250 4x2, SCSB E4OD, 4:10 stock for now mods to install: D60, engine stuff.

White VW '15 Jetta 6MT Sport Suspension TDi

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode