No Start issue - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

No Start issue

Good Evening everyone,
So I have been trying to figure out a No start issue since last September Originally the truck started funny ran and then stalled, the next day It did the same thing started funny stalled but I finally got it running and idling okay. I took it to a fair where it was about 30 degrees outside, this is when the truck started then stalled and wouldn't start again. The next day I tried starting it finally got it running again then I parked it and it hasn't run since. I thought I had it figured out when I found dry rotted fuel lines connecting the bowl and the pump. I also noticed a small fuel leak dripping onto the ground. SO I decided to put myself in debt and bought a Driven Diesel Full Electronic Fuel Conversion kit with Fuel Bowl delete and regulated return & high flow banjo bolts ( I will attach a link). I also did a K38R turbo with a EBPV delete pedestal while I had everything apart. Anyway I finally got everything back together and still just a crank no start condition. The fuel pressure gauge on the fuel regulator is set to 65psi and holds strong at 65. I noticed that no smoke is coming out of the tail pipe while cranking and that the truck isn't even attempting to start. I could just be jumping the gun and the truck could be air bound from the conversion and the dry rotted lines, but is there any other possible issues? My crank sensor is new, batteries are new, put a fresh 15qts of oil in her, don't know if it matters but a new alternator, and then the modifications I mentioned earlier. If you have any suggestions let me know. Could it possibly be the HPOP, ICP, IPR, just looking for some guidance.
Thanks again guys.
Just so you guys know my OBD2 doesn't work so if anything involves a scan tool unfortunately I can't do it as of now.

https://www.strictlydiesel.com/p-343...el-system.aspx

1996 F250 7.3 92k
4 inch lift 37's Goodyear mt military oz
Dana 60 king pin front axle conversion.
Riff Raff HPX Pipe.
Diamond eye 3inch down pipe, 5inch exhaust.
S&B Cold Air Intake
Hydra Chip
Driven Diesel Efuel kit
KC38R turbo
EBPV delete pedestal & output
Up and Coming
Intercooler
Rosewood Injectors
Rust and Rot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 11:47 AM
PSN Newb

Re: No Start issue

I'm having the same problem It hasn't done it in months until this morning when I got up to goto work I've had a leak at the fuel bowl but I can usually get it to start and just hold the throttle at 1k until I feel it idle on it's own

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Alright today I tried unplugging the ICP and no difference. I also noticed that my tachometer moves while cranking as well as my oil pressure gauge moved to normal pressure while cranking, which leads me to believe I have good Low oil pressure. Still no smoke out the tail pipe though. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 09:05 PM

So why doesn't your obd2 work? What year is the truck?

Next thing to do is to check fuses. Maybe rig up a gauge to check you high pressure oil pressure.

01 f-250, Standard
Rev tech 4" lift, 37" military wrangler Mt tires
KC diy 66, Full force 160/100 and custom tunes from PHP
Banks intercooler and full 4" exhaust, Diy S&B intake
Diy quad feed, Hydra, Isspro boost, pyro, and fuel pressure
3/0 battery cables with military style terminals
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I honestly couldn't tell you why, I've looked into checked fuses for it all of the wiring seems intact. I plug it in and the scanner seems to operate normally until I get an error code about a protocol not being passed. I've tried like 4 scanners as well, anything from craftsman to a genysis. How would I rig up a gauge for the HPOP, and do you think it's ICP or IPR I've been doing some research those seem to cause issues. The truck is a 1996.
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 11:02 PM
PSN Veteran

The vast majority of code scanners out there can not read Fords codes.

So unless it says that they can read the codes from a Ford diesel truck I'd find one that does.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Okay I will look into that. I'm more concerned about the no start issue. I just mentioned the OBD2 so guys would know. Any suggestions on the crank no start issue?
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Update, sprayed starting fluid in the intake and the truck fired up for a split second then died. Hope this helps.
Yes I know not suppose to do that and I'm not going to ever again, just wanted to test a theory.
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 01:44 AM
PSN Veteran

You didn't replace the crank sensor; there isn't one. If you replaced the cam sensor, and didn't get it from Ford or International, replace it again. Even if you see a tach signal, that only means the CPS picks up the "heartbeat", not the specific irregular signal that tells the PCM the actual cam position.

Beyond that, you're pretty much at the point where you need a scanner / data read device. You'll want to do a buzz test, and monitor ICP and IPR duty cycle while cranking.

And it's not Ford codes/data that most scanners don't read, it's specifically the protocol used by the OBS PSDs. Other Fords of the era are standard OBD-II. We're just... er... special.
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I will definitely do that. Thank you for the help and any particular scanner you know of that works on the OBS PSD.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode