1997 Powerstroke low boost and low power - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

1997 Powerstroke low boost and low power

Hello guys I'm new to the forum and this is my first post!! My name is Adam Mitcheltee an I am the proud owner of a 97 7.3 powerstroke!! Basically here's my issue I can't get more than 10lbs of boost and that's pedal to the floor, the truck seems low on power. It has a little more power when I unplug the map but when the map is plugged in its even more of a slug. Only mods to the truck is a 4in diamond eye exhaust turbo back to an 8inch tip and custom intake. Turbo sucks and whistles good I checked for boost leaks. I do have some blow by but I also tested that. I don't know if I have an injector problem bc the truck does smoke white and sometimes blue when cold when warm I get a little grey smoke not much "coal" just grey smoke and very little of it. If anyone could plz help me I have no idea if it's injectors or what it could be. All I know is I feel that the truck should have more power and more get up and go
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Re: 1997 Powerstroke low boost and low power

Also I replaced the ebp sensor and tube, and icp sensor along with the ipr valve
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 04:03 AM
PSN Newb

Hi Adam! Welcome to the forum!

How many miles? Have you done any compression tests?
Fuel filter? Might not hurt to check fuel pressure as well.

Might be a good idea to update your signature so other forum members can see at a glance what information you have about your vehicle that may reduce repetitive questioning :)

~Warren

1997 F350 CC LB 7.3ps Cali edition w/zf6
1996 F250 CC SB 7.3ps Federal w/zf5
1989 F250 Reg cab LB 7.3 w/E4OD
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by wseely View Post
Hi Adam! Welcome to the forum!

How many miles? Have you done any compression tests?
Fuel filter? Might not hurt to check fuel pressure as well.

Might be a good idea to update your signature so other forum members can see at a glance what information you have about your vehicle that may reduce repetitive questioning :)

~Warren
I have checked the fuel filter it doesn't look clogged at all the truck starts amazing and idles amazing. I have not done any compression tests or fuel pressure tests as I don't know how. I know the previous owner and the truck was always well taken care of motor wise. Always changed fluids always replaced sensors, he's a good friend of mine. Well the truck is at 292000 on the dot. I know that's a lot of miles but I was told 7.3 when maintained can last a lot longer than this. The truck had a fried turbo when I bought it so I replaced that with a stock turbo that's brand new. I just don't get why when I put the pedal to the floor it's not getting up and going and I'm only building 10lbs of boost my buddy has the exact same truck and he pushes 16-20 all day long. I'm really pushing to get 10. I just don't understand it. I'm hoping someone can help. I checked for codes it's not throwing any check engine light only comes on bc I have the map unplugged bc it runs just a little wee bit better when it's unplugged. Thank you for the response much appreciated I would like more feed back and would also appreciate it.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 01:59 PM
PSN Veteran

leaks in the up pipes? the donuts/gaskets that connect the up pipes to the turbo can leak making it difficult to build boost.

When you say you checked for boost leaks, how exactly did you do this?
\

1997 CCLB 7.3, ZF5, 4x4, 4.10, brought back from the dead
2001 Excursion 7.3, auto, 4x4, 3.73, new to us freight train family hauler
I build custom trucks and off road toys in my private shop located in Crawlorado
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I used the soapy water method on the y pipe to the turbo and before I put the new turbo on I had my good buddy check my up pipes he owns a mechanic chop and I was told they were replaced not to long ago and looked real good, also I have no spot on my firewall what's so ever. Could this issue be fuel related? Maybe injector problem? Bc boost isn't just air is it? Should be fuel and air if I'm correct. Bc like I said on start up I have white smoke and sometimes blue. Also when I first start the truck it almost has a lope to it for the first 3-5 seconds then it clears out and idles perfect
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 05:27 PM
STILL LEARNING

I would start with a fuel filter change

You cannot test for boost leaks like that. You need to charge the system with compressed air with the engine off. Where the intakes bolt to the heads, the RTV tends to fail

You may need a set of injectors. These injectors start loosing their efficiency at around 150k. So at 220 they very well could just be worn out

Looking for Blue 40-20-40 seat for OBS. PM me if any known
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Should I change the fuel filter even if the one it the truck now looks good?
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Bradbilt I was think the same thing injectors, I was hoping it wasn't but I'm leaning more towards injectors also, does anyone know what kind of injectors I should put in the truck I have a stock turbo and no tranny work, I do plan on putting a zf5 in my truck late spring this year I have a donor truck same year as mine that I recently bought. Basically what I'm asking is if it does come down to injectors, which I think they should be replaced anyways even if they aren't the issue do you guys prefer I set I would like to upgrade my injectors to over sized ones just didn't know what brand or size I should go with since I have a stock turbo and no tranny work
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I know someone selling I think he said they were swamp 160s or something like that they have abt 10000 miles on them and he only wants 250$. Good buddy of mine has the same year truck as me but his is a lot nicer lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode