Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

oil filter housing anti drain back valve

9K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Slick1988 
#1 ·
so i have been chasing around a miss on the truck once the motor is warm. the other day i noticed my oil pressure gauge was only reading about 8 at idol when hot(mechanical gauge, not dash gauge) soon as i rev the motor up it will go up to around 25. so i took the oil filter off, and oil just kept on pouring out of the filter housing(where the oil anti drain back valve is) has any one else had an issue like this, am i looking at a stuck oil valve?

#2 ·
There is no anti drain back valve at the filter.
That's the filter bypass valve. Fairly common to fall out if it's the early style.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

#3 ·
As mentioned the bypass valve falling out is common on the early PSD trucks since the parts were staked in place. You can re-stake it if you have all the bypass valve parts (spring, "washer", and disk). The parts will go back up into the housing in the following order: spring, then disk, then washer. Re-stake the washer and you are good to go. Later trucks used a housing where those parts were held in with a snap ring. There is another valve on the block side of the housing (pressure regulator valve) that like to fall out when the housing is removed that is also held in with a snap ring on the later housing. If you are missing any parts, a new housing is F81Z-6881-BA. Cheers!

#4 ·
Thanks for the housing part number I could only find used ones on eBay. The pressure regulator valve is what I was talking about. Has any one herd of one of those sticking, and causing low oil pressure? The only reason I suspect this valve is because when I removed the oil filter to change the oil, a lot of oil kept leaking from where the regulator valve is. Low pressure oil pump is new, there was no damage to the front cover when it was up on

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.