Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Which tailgate is correct?

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  old man dave 
#1 ·
My 1997 F350 XLT (dually) did not have a tailgate when I bought it. Would the original have been solid w/ the Ford decal, or the one with the wide aluminum band all the way across? Thx.

#5 ·
I really don't either. Current TG is a rough one I picked up at a salvage yard. It's pretty significantly caved on the inside. I can Bondo the outside to look decent (thank goodness my truck is white!) but the decals are not available, are they. I've tried LMC and eBay so far

#12 ·
^^^^^^^
I agree. If you just want a tailgate then the aftermarket ones will work. But if you are going to stand, or sit on it then find one from a junkyard and rebuild it if you have to. I have seen aftermarket ones fold up like a pretzel.

#14 ·
Like others have stated, if you actually USE your truck then get an OEM tailgate from 87-97. The aftermarket ones are made VERY PORELY.

As for what tailgate came on the truck in 1997

I'll give the run down..
87-91 XL's had the stamped gate with the ford letters stamped into them.
XLs and Lariats came with the aluminum panel and a red reflector

92-96 XL's were Smooth with FORD stickers in the upper right corner
XLT's(no lariats from 92-97) had the aluminum with a black reflector(for had ford letters in the reflector, one had ford ovals)

97 XL's still had the ford sticker in the upper right corner
XLT's had a ford oval emblem in the lower right and F-250 or F350 emblem in the lower left

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.