Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

ZF5 to E40D swap

4K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  drwoodchopper 
#1 ·
I am just curious on all what needs to be done to swap FROM a ZF5 TO an E40D, not the other way around, just so it's clear.

My 94.5's ZF5 is in rough shape, it needs a rebuild. My steering column is also shot and I can find good used auto columns easily, but can't seem to find a floor shift column.

Things I know:
Change gauge cluster
steering column
ditch flywheel for flexplate
driveshaft lengths will need to be addressed
auto PCM

My questions:
Will my transfer case swap over to a 4wd E40D?
Any issues with swapping manual cluster/column for auto cluster/column, meaning all plugs and wiring match?
Trans wiring..... that is the big one. Do I have to get a complete underhood auto/engine harness or could I just make a trans wiring harness and pin it into my factory manual harness where it plugs into the PCM?

I don't like shifting personally, The slow 0-60 acceleration in CA traffic sucks, and I see good used E40D's pop up on CL pretty often, where a good used ZF5 to replace mine comes up rarely and are pricey around here. Combined with the fact I need a new steering column/trans anyway, it's an entertaining thought of being able to drive one handed and not have to run that hand shaker and clutch.

See less See more
#2 ·
Transfer cases match up.
You don't need a gauge cluster the PRND12 just replaces the blank you have in there. There will be a related cable and such.
You will need new transmission harness and have to move some wires around on the plug end PITA to figure them out. New transmission mount. The drive lines are different. New doghouse floor pan
You would really need to find a donor truck to do it right. I put parts together for several months and still had to improvise to go the other way for several parts. It would be thousands of dollars cheaper to get the zf5 rebuilt....but If that's what you want to do it is defiantly doable!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.