reverse lights dont work - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 04:58 AM Thread Starter
single stacked stroker

reverse lights dont work

97 f350 5 speed all lights work except reverse lights is there a fuse or something i can check, the lights havent worked the whole six months i have owned the truck and im just trying to figure out why or if it could be something fairly simple.

2004 svt focus build # 1041
saving for another truck
97 f-350 SOLD
swamps 175's
2l destroyer 66 turbo
ts with custom tunes
southbend clutch
iss pro gauges
hpx cross over
Traction bars
For as fun as that truck was it was sure a piece of $h!t

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boosting 45psi on a stock charger ^
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 05:01 AM
Don't EFN worry about it

Re: reverse lights dont work

Switch on the trans maybe??

97 crew cab shorty-4x4 Lots of mods .
Tuned by T Wildman
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 05:55 AM
Old guy from the old days

I would start with the underhood fuse (15 amp) for backup lights.

If the fuse is OK go to the backup light switch, you will need to check both wires for power. When in reverse you should have 12v to both wires, when not in reverse only one.

If there is only power to one wire when the truck is in reverse replace the switch.

In the illustration from the manual the transmission is hanging from a bench vertically if I am not mistaken, switch should be above and toward the rear I THINK.

1995 F250 'Stroke 4x2 5 spd long bed, Edge Evolution CTR, homebuilt
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, switched 10k, Putco Master Boss running boards, one off heavy duty
, 36" tall contractor cap, 287,000 miles.
for glow plug system help.
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 12:40 PM
PSN nerd

i bet the cheap a$$ plus come out of the transmission, i know my switch is going bad in my truck or the plug is messed up.

just one more reason to get my auto.

97 F250SC 4X4 4 LINKED ON AIR <- FOR SALE!!!!!!

00 F350CC 4x4 I NEED A FLATBED FOR IT!!!!! LET ME KNOW IF YALL KNOW ANYBODY THAT HAS ONE

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 01:21 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKE View Post
just one more reason to get my auto.
Every tranny has a reverse light switch. On the auto, it happens to be part of the range selector switch, which also contains the neutral safety start contacts, etc. Any switch can fail; I'd bet a nickel the switch for the auto is gonna cost a buck or two more than the one for the manual. Not to mention all the fun the auto has with its torque converter lock-up being tied to the less-than-bulletproof brake light circuitry. For electrical reliability, I'll take a 5-speed any day.

BTW, to the OP, the voltage tests mentioned above should be done with the switch wiring connected. Another test for the switch: disconnect it, set your meter on resistance, and put the probes on the two terminals on the switch. With the truck NOT in neutral, it should read "open" (infinite resistance). In neutral, it should read zero resistance.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 05:01 PM
PSN Veteran

did you check to see if the bulbs are not burnt out?

02 f250
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 05:04 PM
Don't EFN worry about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Every tranny has a reverse light switch. On the auto, it happens to be part of the range selector switch, which also contains the neutral safety start contacts, etc. Any switch can fail; I'd bet a nickel the switch for the auto is gonna cost a buck or two more than the one for the manual. Not to mention all the fun the auto has with its torque converter lock-up being tied to the less-than-bulletproof brake light circuitry. For electrical reliability, I'll take a 5-speed any day.
Funny stuff right there .

Tuned by T Wildman
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 08:11 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aljay View Post
Funny stuff right there .
Laugh at the n00b all you want, but just search this and, erhm, any of the other forum sites, and you'll find story after another of someone signaling for a lane change (remember, the brake and turn signals share the same filament in the rear 1157s), or flipping on the four-ways, or their CHMSL burning out, or they hook up the trailer lights, and suddenly their E4OD torque converter unlocks.

Here's a f'rinstance: TC unlocks with signal/Flashers??? - Powerstroke Nation

'Course, I suppose it is "funny" if (like my wife and me) you'd only own/drive a ZF.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
single stacked stroker

ok, heres the verdict the fuse was bad, replaced it, reverse lights work then it pops the fuse what else is on this circut could the rv plug be wired wrong?

2004 svt focus build # 1041
saving for another truck
97 f-350 SOLD
swamps 175's
2l destroyer 66 turbo
ts with custom tunes
southbend clutch
iss pro gauges
hpx cross over
Traction bars
For as fun as that truck was it was sure a piece of $h!t

Boosting 45psi on a stock charger ^
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 10:27 PM
Don't EFN worry about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Laugh at the n00b all you want, but just search this and, erhm, any of the other forum sites, and you'll find story after another of someone signaling for a lane change (remember, the brake and turn signals share the same filament in the rear 1157s), or flipping on the four-ways, or their CHMSL burning out, or they hook up the trailer lights, and suddenly their E4OD torque converter unlocks.

Here's a f'rinstance: TC unlocks with signal/Flashers??? - Powerstroke Nation

'Course, I suppose it is "funny" if (like my wife and me) you'd only own/drive a ZF.
I have driven a few miles in a few OBS strokes with ZFs so excuse me while I barf !

I hate them and thats all there is to it. I will keep my semi modded 4r100 and lets just say I have had 2 of these trucks and narry a problem like you describe . I do keep my vehicles up so when a bulb burns out or there is an issue it gets tended to .

Tuned by T Wildman

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode