Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

7.3 powerstroke blow by

49K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  toughbronco 
#1 ·
my truck has 218-219,000 miles and i took it to a shop today they said with all that blow by they assume the motor is gonna die in about 50-100k "if im lucky" i can start it put the oil fill cap and it just sits there doest move or nothing heres a video of it

#3 ·
it is very smokey, my truck has 196k on it and I had a van with 253k on it and I had no visible smoke like you have. you don't have excessive blowby though based on the oil cap. I would check out your ccv to make sure its not plugged and double check to make sure you have no coolant in your oil, but your mechanic would have seen that-it makes a milky mess. If all is good there, run it.

#4 ·
My 330k ccsb has way more than that, it floats the cap like an air hockey puck. It had zero BB when I bought it with the stock air box. As soon as I did cai and DP it started. There's now more density to compress and less bp and that has increased VE.

Spend the next 2-3 years building a long block, that will give you the time and $ to do it right, then swap.

#6 ·
yea there is no oil or coolant mixed i think maybe the oil vent tube going in to the air intake before the turbo might be clogged but the truck has tons of power towed about 10-11k today and she pulled it like a dream my belief is that he is wrong my 1981 isuzu 2.2 diesel has the same amount of blow by and still has good power and its only got 150,000 miles so i think its fine

#7 ·
i was also gonna ask on a 7.3 powerstroke what do you guys think should be the max egt? i was thinking no more than 1,200 if its gonna be substantiated like towing a trailer up a hill but i was wondering what you guys think

#8 ·
you can run 1250 all day. Anything more then that is rolling the dice. I know plenty of guys on here that say theyve burried 1600* pyros pullin up hills or slammin 2000* out of their 7.3's sled pullin.

for ultimate reliabilty stay under 1300 and you should be good. quick bursts up to 1500-1600 arent horrible if they are for a short period like drag racing

#9 ·
oh haha and i was worried at 1,200 LOLLOL well thats really good to know! thanks nitro!

#10 ·
The probe for your pyrometer is installed where? 12-1250 before the turbo is fine. Post turbo e.g., in down pipe can be 400 hotter then pre turbo.

I noted that you have a K&N....(mo) these engines pump too much are for this air filter. Ran one on the 96 and always had trace of dust in the intake check yours and see at next service. Switched to Donaldson paper no dust..... Not slamin K&N still have em on other stuff just not my 7.3...

Cheers

jrc

#11 ·
my egt probe is right in my exhaust manifold that way it reads as soon as the motor hits that temp pre turbo is best post turbo (after) is not as good cause by the time you get the reading that your at 1250* or more say like 1500 well its been there for a long time and youve already done your damage thats my 2 cents anyways

#12 ·
as far as dust goes no i havent seen any however im on top of cleaning that filter all the time so you think the k&n filter doesnt provide enough air?

#14 ·
well if everyone wants to know i agree DITCH THE K&N filter doesnt give enough flow im running a large baldwin filter like a donaldson and my mileage went from 18 hwy to 21 highway the donaldson and baldwin big filters are definetely the way to go no wonder the little k&n filter kept getting clogged and dirty wasnt the right size for that motor thanks everyone for the tip!:psn:

#15 ·
The PO of my truck ran a road draft tube, mine has a real steady and somewhat noticeable stream of smoke coming out of the tube. At night you can see a haze come up from the front of the truck lol. You can smell it though that's for sure. Truck has 320k, runs real healthy though. I was told the amount of blowby it has coming out is normal. No coolant in oil or vise versa. Doesn't burn oil or leak it as well. The vapor that is coming out isn't real oily and thick feeling either. The PO of mine also had put a K&N intake setup on it, I plan to take the filter off and swap it for a 6637 filter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.