Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Early '11 6.7 w/ High Miles Okay or Better to Bulletproof a 6.0

7K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  bluesbish 
#1 ·
I've been looking to replace my Ram 1500 with a diesel. Good or bad, powerstrokehelp.com learned me enough that I figured out it was safe to look for an '05-'07 6.0 to get bulletproofed. A 6.7 would be great but that's not in the budget. I did find a 2011 about 1 1/2 hours from here that would be in budget, but its got 169k on it. I also ran the VIN and it was built in Sep. 2010 which worries me. Would it be safer to steer clear of this one?

#2 ·
As you hang around on the forum here more and more you will learn that powerstrokehelp is not a reputable source. 6.0l seem to be hit or miss in the idea that some people seem to get a good one, and others a lemon. Bulletproofing can solve a fair few problems but guys have still popped them even after the bullet proofing. The 6.7's seem to be a good engine. Issues have become present but nothing that can't be fixed. The build date shouldn't be an issue. The miles are a bit high but if it is a clean running truck I do not think I would be overly scared.

#3 ·
Powerstrokehelp was just the first thing I found with a lot of info about the PS. After checking out some of the forums I now know that Bill has some good info mixed with bad so I'm looking at it as a good starting point.

I forgot to add that I talked to the dealer on the way home from work. He said he's got some maintenance records and he had the Carfax. It's a one owner corporate car. I'd have to see what the records look like because I'd guess that means the maintenance was either great or almost non-existant. Is there someone on here who can get an Oasis report or does that have to come from a dealer?

#4 ·
Bulletproofing can solve a fair few problems but guys have still popped them even after the bullet proofing
Done correctly....there are very few repeat failures with the 6.0 especially if the truck is used for what it was designed to do.

The 6.7's seem to be a good engine. Issues have become present but nothing that can't be fixed. The build date shouldn't be an issue.
The 6.7 is a good engine but the 11's had problems with valves cracking which damages the head, piston and block so....yes....that is something that cant be fixed without replacing the engine.

the good news is that if it went that many miles without cracking valves....it probably isnt going to have that problem, or the engine already got replaced.

both trucks and engine are good packages. but, they are very different machines. both will accomplish the same task and with close to the same performance. be careful about which 6.0 you choose since being an older truck...god knows how many owners its had and what they have done to the poor thing as far as mods or hack jobs. the 6.7 is more modern and you will like some of the modern features. the 6.0 is a little more crude but is easier to modify and tailor to your needs since fooling the emissions systems is much easier. also...the 6.7 has 2 additional emissions systems on it that the 6.0 never had. both of thise systems are plagued with problems and it is best to elinate rather than deal with the cost of repairs. however...deleting these systems is fairly expensive also. keep doing your research and test drive the trucks to see what you will be happier driving.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.