Turbo on my 2014 6.7 failed - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By dwc032

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 04:40 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Turbo on my 2014 6.7 failed

2014 F250 lariat ultimate. Truck is bone stock engine wise and has 27k on it. I was pulling the trailer 31' Jayco and was just not making any boost or power. Had to drop the trailer on the side of the road and drive to a ford dealer.

Just gott a callback they said the turbo failed and they will be replacing it. It's under warranty so no money out of pocket. I thought the turbo failures were a thing of the past. Guess not. Pretty disappointed that the truck costs 60k, never been abused, and meticulously maintained has these problems.

Should the dealer look at other possible problems when they have it apart? I've heard yes and no.

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task, whatever it may be. One hundred percent and then some.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 10:32 PM
PSN Veteran

Turbo on my 2014 6.7 failed

Now I'm no professional, but would definitely be looking at the turbo closely to see if maybe something caused it, such as a bad air filter (not being seated properly or had a hole somewhere in the intake). Or if there was a "tell all" sign of failure such as oil lines or electronics and then digging to see what caused that specific component to fail... I would hope you wouldn't have to ask for special treatment for that though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-2008 Job #3 F250 CCSB 4x4
-Mishimoto Aluminum Radiator
-Peak Fleet Charge Purple Coolant
-SCT X4 Babysitter
-17" XD Addicts
-285 General Grabber AT2's
-Power Service White in the Tank
-Moog Tie Rods and Drag Arm
-Drilled and Slotted Rotors
-GearBoxZ DPF-R 4.0
-Flo-Pro DOC/DPF delete
-MPD CCV Kit
-Injen Evo CAI
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 01:06 AM
young guy, old trucks

Re: Turbo on my 2014 6.7 failed

11-14's had the same turbo with the ceramic bearing that were prone to failure. They didn't change the turbo until 2015. It's a pretty common occurrence and as long as none of the bearing debris got into the engine you should be all good.

2001 ccsb lariat, php hydra, edge cts2, straight pipes. gone but never forgotten
2011 ecsb xlt, 37's no lift, mpd t4 budget kit, sxe s364.5, G3arhead tuning, H&S intercooler pipes, five inch flo-pro, six inch tip

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 04:34 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Thanks guys!!! I will call the dealer and see where there at on the truck tomorrow. I'll keep you guys posted.

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task, whatever it may be. One hundred percent and then some.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 02:14 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by threegenpowerstroke98 View Post
11-14's had the same turbo with the ceramic bearing that were prone to failure. They didn't change the turbo until 2015. It's a pretty common occurrence and as long as none of the bearing debris got into the engine you should be all good.

Random thought. I don't know much about the 6.7 and it's evolution, but would a 15' turbo fit on an 11' 6.7? Could he request that to the dealer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-2008 Job #3 F250 CCSB 4x4
-Mishimoto Aluminum Radiator
-Peak Fleet Charge Purple Coolant
-SCT X4 Babysitter
-17" XD Addicts
-285 General Grabber AT2's
-Power Service White in the Tank
-Moog Tie Rods and Drag Arm
-Drilled and Slotted Rotors
-GearBoxZ DPF-R 4.0
-Flo-Pro DOC/DPF delete
-MPD CCV Kit
-Injen Evo CAI
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

No they don't fit. I did get my truck back. They said they have no idea why it failed and they did not look at anything else that might have made it fail. So not really mechanics anymore just computer diagnostics and replace as the computer says so.

Hopefully this is the only problems I have.
wackyman9 likes this.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 03:04 AM
young guy, old trucks

The passenger side exhaust manifold has to be replaced with the 15 styles to fit the turbo. For what it'll take might as well go with a streetmaxR/X or go non vgt. IMO I wouldn't go back to a 11-14 style turbo unless you want to stay stock just due to longevity issues.

2001 ccsb lariat, php hydra, edge cts2, straight pipes. gone but never forgotten
2011 ecsb xlt, 37's no lift, mpd t4 budget kit, sxe s364.5, G3arhead tuning, H&S intercooler pipes, five inch flo-pro, six inch tip
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Well mines still under warranty so I gotta go with what they say. Since the turbo replacement I have a 15 20 degrees temp difference between oil and coolant.

I will call service advisor and see what they say.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Update on truck. So this AM I head to Lowes and as I am driving down the parkway I hear this exhaust leak sound. I am no mechanic, but it is for sure an exhaust leak. Then the turbo is making a pretty good turbo whine. Almost like an idling 6.0.

I took it back to dealer and they said they will look at it. As of 1545 they have not pulled it into the shop. I hope they can figure it out.

Have any of you noticed this type of issue after new turbo installed??

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Just got a call from ford. They said the valves are sticking on passenger side and valves need replaced. So cab off and all that good stuff.

Frustrating to say the least.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode