Modifying of the Harness
PART 1 - REMOVING the factory heat/ground plug
1. Cut the black Loom holding the original 5 wires
2. Push the red tab (A)
from the back of the grey plug. It will need to be pushed far enough so it can be grabbed by a pair of Needle nose pliers.
3. Once the tab is out far enough, pull it out with needle nose pliers
4. Tab is out
5. Once the tab is out, you can now pull out the factory pins for the heat/ground by depressing the Latches (A)
that hold the pins in.
6. These latches (A)
are what hold the pins in the plug. Removing the Red tab gave us enough leeway to depress the Latches
- I used a Dentistry tool to press the Latches towards the center of the plug while maintaining pulling pressure on the wire connected to the pin. Pin 5 & 6 are the two pins that need to be removed in order to remove the factory plug.
7. Factory heat/ground plug removed
PART 2 - Soldering the Pins
- Grey plug pins ( they considered Terminals but for writing purposes I'll call them pins)
The molex kit comes with (2) male plugs and (2) females plugs.. Males pins for the FEMALE plugs, female pins for the MALE plugs.
1. Cut 8 (5" long) pieces of wire. I used 18g wire, it was what I had laying around. Using 20g wire would make the process easier, I had a couple tight fits with my pins fitting into the grey plug
2. Strip about 1/4" off of each end
3. Solder the Grey plug pins onto each of the (8) wires. Make sure to leave the end of the rubber insulator flush or a tiny gap (A)
. After you solder the wire, you'll need to crimp the terminal around the wire. It's IMPORTANT to have a tight fit or else it won't fit while trying to insert them into the Grey plug.
4. Repeat this process for the MOLEX pins. Doesn't matter which pins you solder, just make sure that they are all MALE or FEMALE..
5. One harness wires completed. Just need to crimp the Grey plug pins (A)
. Also, the MOLEX plugs have more forgiving tolerances, crimping the pins (B)
very tight is not necessary.
6. Once finished with the soldering and crimping of the pins, you can now insert them into their respected plugs.. For the Grey plug (4,5,6,7).... Molex plug, doesn't matter, as long as you annotate which wire is for what (turn, heat, ground, signal)
-When placing the pins into the MOLEX plugs, push them far enough until the metal tab is flare out (A)
- once finished with placing the pins into the Grey plug, you can now insert the red tab, just the reverse process.
Still waiting for the Mirrors to show up. Once they arrive, I'll take one day to install them, run the wires and mount the Defrost switch.