Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

abs light

22K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  new2deisel 
#1 ·
My ABS light came on again. It has done this before and would stay on for a little while then go off or after turning truck off then on again. This hasn't happened in about a year. This weekend I took a road trip about 500 miles away. The ABS light came on again while going to my destination. It turned off a couple of times when I turned the truck off then on but it stayed on all the way home. I tried to check for codes with my SCT but nothing showed up.

#2 ·
Mine did this a few times while pulling a trailer, been about 2 years since the last time. Sorry no help here.

#4 ·
You know I did have another problem that may be related, I couldnt turn my trailer brake controller down. That ended just being the plug in the back of the controller I just make sure it's tight from time to time and haven't had the problem again. It's worth a shot.

#5 ·
SCT won't read ABS codes. Mine is on and I have a wheel speed sensor that is bad on the passenger side. For cheap, you could pull the speed sensor out of the rear pumpkin and make sure there isn't a bunch of gunk on it...otherwise, if the front is out, you pretty much have to replace the sensor. Just picked one up for about $70 from the dealer.

#7 ·
I picked up a rear abs sensor from the dealer to find out it is the wrong one. Have to exchange it now. It was $23 and figured cheap enough to try and hope it fixes the problem. I hope it isn't a front one cause those are expensive.

I checked the brake fluid and seems fine. I thought the parking brake light would stay on if low on brake fluid?

#8 ·
Not sure what year your truck is but my '06 part number is: 6L3Z9E731A or Motorcraft DY1073. Should be $50-$70.

Check out the wiring to the sensor also. The ABS system is very picky about voltages. The clowns that installed my turnover ball crushed the wires (didn't break the insulation) which threw the voltage off slightly and set the ABS light.

#10 ·
Must have been the rear sensor. I put over 100 miles today and no ABS light. Seems to run/stop smoother and my lio-meter says I am getting better mpg, which I was expecting cause when the light first came on my fuel mileage really seemed to suffer the last couple tanks.

#11 ·
Ok it has been a month since I have replaced the rear abs sensor. Yesterday I hit the brakes and could feel the ABS kick in through the brake pedal. Not sure how to explain that other than the feeling you get when you hit the brakes too hard and feels like the brakes are grinding throught the brake pedal. Anyways its seems like I can get it to do it when I make a slow hard right turn. I can feel it in the pedal and the abs light will turn on then go off when I let off the brake. I cant see it being the same rear sensor. Any other thoughts?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.