CAT Converter - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

CAT Converter

I have a 99 F 350 DUALLY 7.3 I Ordered an MBRP SS EXHAUST SYSTEM but without a CAT CONV. Will running my truck without cause me headaches with engine light' o2 sensor etc.....or can I USE A tUNER to soothe things out? I ordered it without checking the damn specs. not a bright move. Thanks for any insight. MIKE DAG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 05:52 PM

Re: CAT Converter

No problems. No need to tune anything. Only issue is if you had to get emissions tested.

01 f-250, Standard
Rev tech 4" lift, 37" military wrangler Mt tires
KC diy 66, Full force 160/100 and custom tunes from PHP
Banks intercooler and full 4" exhaust, Diy S&B intake
Diy quad feed, Hydra, Isspro boost, pyro, and fuel pressure
3/0 battery cables with military style terminals
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 07:21 PM
alleged moderator

welcome to PSN. cats and 02 sensors are a commiefornia emissions thing. my 02 here on the east coast does not have any of that crap.

tom
owner of almost to many fords.

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 07:36 PM

My 01 did. My guess is you have a standard or a commiefornia truck.

01 f-250, Standard
Rev tech 4" lift, 37" military wrangler Mt tires
KC diy 66, Full force 160/100 and custom tunes from PHP
Banks intercooler and full 4" exhaust, Diy S&B intake
Diy quad feed, Hydra, Isspro boost, pyro, and fuel pressure
3/0 battery cables with military style terminals
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

No, I do not have a mandatory emissions in Maine.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

thanks for responding folks. I got this F 350 IN connecticut. Truck was MFG. IN 02/98 EARLY MODEL. SO, check engine lights or O2 ISSUES will not be an issue?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Yes, I ordered an MBRP SS 409 exhaust system...no muffler.no CAT . just pipe.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 11:09 PM
alleged moderator

you have to look at the under hood engine emission tag to see if it is a commifornia compliant truck or not. i have seen quite a few here on hte east coast that were driven across country and then sold here.

tom
owner of almost to many fords.

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 11:56 AM
PSN Veteran

my 99 and my 97 both had cat converters from the factory, I live in Denver metro area with California style emissions laws so I must keep the cat on both of those trucks. Diesel testing is once a year here, what a huge worthless pain in the ass backasswards state this has become. Anywho they also want the cat welded in, no clamps...trying to keep you from making a "test pipe" just for the once a year testing.
The computer on your truck has no idea there is a cat converter, we do not have 02 sensors like a gas engine. If you do not have emissions DITCH THE CAT its only robbing you of power and MPG

When you remove your stock cat you may be able to sell it, I am not sure. Some of them are full or platinum and palladium so the cat converters can be worth some good $$$. When I recently removed the one from my 97 I was surprised to see it is hollow...no precious metals in mine. I replaced it with a huge dodge 4" unit so I am emissions legal..... as far as they know, once a year.
The superduty will say on a big sticker under the hood if the truck has a cat or is a non cat truck...... my 97 has cat, my 99 has cat, my 01 has no cat.... fun!
Huge waste of taxpayers money!!! The emissions program in Denver is a JOKE and has been for YEARS
Now CU Boulder just released a study.... "Diesels are polluting far worse then we originally thought".... when a Prius or a Tesla has a larger carbon footprint then a diesel Excursion...this place is so back ass wards I WANT OUT!!!!!

/Rant

Pull your cat when you install new exhaust, see if its full of a grey honeycomb material if it is = sell that SOB (you can take it to metal recycle yard and get $$$)

1997 CCFB 7.3, ZF5, 4x4, 4.10, baby swamps, TS6, RSK
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Excursion 7.3, auto, 4x4, 3.73, freight train family hauler, collecting parts for suspension lift
2000 E350 7.3, auto 2wd, 3.73, toy hauler camper conversion...researching 4x conversion
21.9 liters there is no replacement for displacement!!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 11:54 PM
PSN Newb

Do what I did and take the guts out so there is a shell left. Truck passes every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

E99 SCSB AFE stage 2, 4" turbo back exhaust, 140 v IDM mod, Hutch and Harpoon, DP tuner, Gauges, Firestone Air bags, 305 BFG all terrains, 08 rear diff cover.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode