BUILDING A CLOSE TO STOCK 7.3 ENGINE - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jamiesaun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

BUILDING A CLOSE TO STOCK 7.3 ENGINE

Looking for honest opinions, not looking to get flamed. Close to 10 years ago I had a injector tip that broke from being EDM'd on a used nozzle. Long story short I built a new short block and built it up nice with good rods and really have a nice engine in my truck. The old short block only had 70,000 miles on it and I had never took it apart until last weekend. Crank and rod bearings are perfect and no issues or needs at all. I figured I had damage to the one cylinder wall from the nozzle and as I took it apart at first I thought it needed nothing. but looking at it after running a Flex hone through it and the cylinder next to it, I see that to be really nice it is going to need to be bored or a sleeve put it. I was going to build this really nice to sell, so my question is would you bore it 10 or 20 over and bore all the holes or just sleeve the one hole and build it standard bore. What would everyone else do it this situation and if you were selling it what would you do. Thanks for any and all input I also looked at getting just a 3 over piston and would weight match it to the others and balance but the smallest overbore I see anywhere is 10 over

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 02:58 PM
Rookie diesel tech

Send a message via AIM to evans735
Re: BUILDING A CLOSE TO STOCK 7.3 ENGINE

if you can get away with a 10 over bore then i would absolutely do that, but i would do it to all of them imo, since your already doing just one.

2000 F350 7.3L ext. cab, long bed dually, ZF6, 323,xxx miles
6637 mod
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 03:23 AM
PSN Veteran

I suspect you will get %50 or maybe %75 of the machine work's cost back into your pocket if you sell it.

Just sell it. Be honest, and just sell. Just my two cents worth of advice....

1996 F250 CCSB, 4x4, auto PSD, stainless window vents.

Signature file limitations keep me from sharing more information. Follow this link to find my threads: D60 RSK install, Air vent cleaning, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by leojr; 04-01-2017 at 03:23 AM. Reason: spelun n stuf

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Well I hope to get a lot more then that. New rod bolts and nuts new lifters new rebuild kit with pistons and oil cooler. New Ford reman heads forced rods. Machine work and balance new piston oilers. That is quite a lot of money.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 11:31 PM
Master BS'er

There's no way you're going to get all of that money back out of it. Re bore replace one piston, then yeah, but ten over everything and all aftermarket stuff? No way dude.
79jasper likes this.

Jamie.

p.s...I'm pretty frickin awesome!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 12:00 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiesaun View Post
There's no way you're going to get all of that money back out of it. Re bore replace one piston, then yeah, but ten over everything and all aftermarket stuff? No way dude.
Actual performance shops have trouble selling pre-built engines.
Let alone Joe Blow from some facebook/Craigslist ad.
Bad idea all around.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

1979 chevy c30 dually, sm465, 373's? Converted to 6.2 diesel, pump turned up and advanced a hair.(wrecked)
1994 ford F350 dually 4X4: 7.3 powerstroke, 5 speed. 6637, straight pipe into dual stacks. Cooper discoverer at/3's.
2010 Jetta TDI 40 or so mpg :flippa:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode