More power - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

More power

I'm sure this subject has been beat to death...

Just got my truck, 7.3 TD. It came with a turbo-back exhaust (5" at the exit). It also has a K&N filter in the stock box. I've heard all I need otherwise is a programmer to crank it up. Is this true?

I'm not looking for 1200 ft lbs. Just a quicker spool and maybe a bit more grunt. Currently it's a turd, pretty sure it is on a stock tune. Turbo kicks in over 2000 RPMs and doesn't do anything impressive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 03:31 PM
PSN Newb

Re: More power

Quote:
Originally Posted by beef tits View Post
I'm sure this subject has been beat to death...

Just got my truck, 7.3 TD. It came with a turbo-back exhaust (5" at the exit). It also has a K&N filter in the stock box. I've heard all I need otherwise is a programmer to crank it up. Is this true?

I'm not looking for 1200 ft lbs. Just a quicker spool and maybe a bit more grunt. Currently it's a turd, pretty sure it is on a stock tune. Turbo kicks in over 2000 RPMs and doesn't do anything impressive.

IMO I would get rid of the k&n filter and pick you up an s&b cold air intake or airaid, from what I've heard k&n has been known to dust turbos due to letting too many small particles through.

For power increase, most people suggest doing intake, exhaust, gauges, then a chip. Don't go cheap on any of these. Look into isspro or autometer for gauges, most common set up is boost, EGT, and trans temp. For a chip, take a look at custom tuned ts6 (stock ts6 tunes are somewhat outdated and can be harsh on the trans), or the hydra. There are plenty of other options out there too that are great choices just do some research on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 05:55 PM
alleged moderator

what year truck? unless it is a powerstroke there is no computer to tune.

tom
owner of almost to many fords.

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I've got a 2000 7.3 PSD with a 6 spd MT. Being that it is not an auto, is trans temp as much of a concern? I assume the clutch is the weak point but it was replaced shortly before I bought the truck so it's not too old.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 06:17 PM
PSN Newb

So you can run a chip. And I'd still run a trans temp gauge but it's really up to you what gauges you run

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 10:23 PM
alleged moderator

trans temp is not a biggie with a manual trans unless you do heavy towing.
just keep it full with clean ATF and you will be fine.
a 60 or 80 HP tune on a chip put into the computer from one of the better tuners will make a world of difference.
a 6637 air filter or cold air kit to replace the K&N. even a stock filter is better than the K&N
before tuning i would put an exhaust temp gauge in the truck somewhere.
DP tuners makes a switcher that fits in a 3 gauge pillar pod so you can run the switcher, a EGT gauge, and a boost gauge in the pillar pod for a clean looking install.
i also put a small 12 volt LED in the pillar panel hooked to the output of the glow plug controller so i can tell if the glow plug relay is sending power to the glow plugs or not.

tom

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 02:12 PM
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by beef tits View Post
I've got a 2000 7.3 PSD with a 6 spd MT. Being that it is not an auto, is trans temp as much of a concern? I assume the clutch is the weak point but it was replaced shortly before I bought the truck so it's not too old.
I have a 6spd zf as well, you need to get a clutch rated for the torque and horsepower you are upgrading your engine to. If not, you may run into problems with it slipping depending on how much horsepower you get out of your upgrades.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 02:32 PM
alleged moderator

stock injectors are only good for about an added 60-80hp. and the stock clutch is more than capable of handling that power. provided they put the proper clutch in it.

tom

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Injectors, noted!

So here is what I have on order:

GTP38R
Non EBPV pedestal
T&S 6 position chip
Autometer 3-gauge kit (boost, egt, trans temp)
S&B intake

The truck already has a 5" exhaust and the clutch is fairly new.

Is there anything I am missing for now if I run a 75 HP tune?

So the next step would be injectors if I want to run the 100 HP tune?
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 04:53 PM
PSN Veteran

Hydra my friend is what you need. You won't want anything else.
Sbluke55, SparkyF250 and evans735 like this.

2001 F-250 4X4 SCSB 7.3 Auto X Codes w/ 2" Hanger/Shackle Drop Kit-38R w/Turbomaster,AFE, T500, Regulated Return, 6.0 Tranny Cooler, JWVB, 4"Exhaust, Hydra w/ Gearhead, PHP, and Powerstruck tunes, Powerstruck 180/100's Live Tuned by Powerstruck and then some!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode