Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Can't handle the noise of the 38R what are my options?

9K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  rebelchevy02 
#1 ·
I cant stand the noise of my 38r I have the ww2 in it and and S&B intake on it and can take the wine anymore what are my options?
Are the D66 quiet or the kc38r not really looking to go to a T4 set up im running FFD stage ones for injectors

#3 ·
KC38r is quiet. My 38r was quiet with both Dieselsite wheels. The d66 wheel performed better.

#4 ·
You could try an ais intake also.

#5 ·
At one time I built a custom intake with insulation around it and it didn't help
I kinda like the looks of the kc38r but if its not going to be much quieter I dont want to waste the money ive researched them a little and one guy says his is quiet the next guy says his is loud

#6 ·
The only one that I've heard is quiet. Just a faint whistle. Running with a 6637 intake.

#7 ·
I have the same intake side of the turbo as the kc38r and its loud and annoying with my kc66 and a open element.

#8 ·
Any split 6×6 blade compresor wheel is loud.
The borg warner sxe has a 7×7 wheel, not as loud but will still whissle perty good.
The only wheel that has virtually no sound is the garrett gtx style. Straight 11 blades.

If you put a aftermarket 11 blade wheel in that 38R it would be almost silent.

#9 ·
I haven't pulled my intake boot off and checked but the pics of the ww2 for the 38r look to be an 11 blade wheel

#10 ·
That is my one and only complaint with the sxe turbos. They are a bit loud.

#13 ·
For some reasons I remember reading some place a few years ago about a batch of 38r's that didn't get balanced to tight enough tolerances and those were the loud ones any truth to that could I maybe get mine balanced a little tighter to quiet it down?

#15 ·
What if you just put the factory air filter back on it, my friend left his on and you can't hear the whistle.

#17 ·
In your last post you were not sure if you had the 11 blade wheel. Are you just assuming now??
Did you pull the intake and have a look??
I really can't imagine you having a noise issue if you truly do have a 11 blade wheel.

Pull the intake and see for sure if you haven't already..

#18 ·
My original post states that I have a ww2 installed already I just had never counted the blades. I dont really have a whistle its more like an alarm going off from about 4-8 psi of boost

#20 ·
When I had my 38r, I ran both the WW2 and the D66 WW2 and mine was very quiet compared to the stock wheel. And this was with an open element filter. Just a slight whistle sound. No howl at all

#21 ·
We have an Excursion here with a 38R, Wicked Wheel 11 blade and S&B Intake. I ran it with the stock intake before the S&B. Honestly did not notice a difference between the two as far as whine goes. I don't have first hand experience on what they sound like with the factory 38R wheel so I cannot help with that. I can post a video if it helps. Shoot me any questions you have!

#22 ·
Im in the same boat as the OP. I got a KC38R with a 6637 intake and its pretty obnoxious. I read about maybe goin with S&B intake also, but it kinda sounds like that might not be the cure either. I was wonderin, if the open element is what compounds the whistle, what if a guy took and made a kind of a baffle that the open element would slide over with the baffle bein inside the filter. Say you take a piece of tubing, the size that your filter would connect to and long enough to bottom er out in the filter, and either drill it full of holes or cut a bunch of slots in it with a grinder. Maybe it wouldn't do anything, just thought I'd ask if anybody has tried it.

#23 ·
I've never heard of anyone doing anything like that. Give it a shot and report back.

The ford ais filter should knock quite a bit of noise out of it.

#24 ·
Will you guys keep us posted on what you come up with. I'm stock turbo now and would go KC38R if I wasn't so concerned about noise. I just picked up RR wheel (not installed yet - desperately needed to solve turbo surge) because I didn't want to spend the $ for a turbo I was going to be annoyed by...but at the same time I hate that I'm about the pull the turbo and swap in wheel (time plus $ for wheel) and then deciding on what turbo (T4 style or KC38r) to go with and spending more time and $ to buy/install it. I've got S&B intake.

#27 ·
make a box around the filter like the stocker. personally I like to hear the turbo

#28 ·
I have a 38R and stock wheel, and this S&B

I bought this insulation and took the intake out of the truck and completely wrapped it, including the lid. Never looked at IAT to see if it actually insulated from the engine heat at all (wasnt the intention, still dont care) but I did it to quiet the intake side of the 38R some. I was chasing a drone issue that turned out to be in the exhaust. Still get the noise from the fender inlet, but its definitely tolerable for me. Not bad for ~30 bucks and some work. I also cleaned the plastic first to help it stick to it, and then wrapped it in gorilla tape to help keep it all together.

EDIT: I guess you cant just put a f!ck!ng link anymore, it has to do the picture and bullsh!t, but below is the amazon link to the product I am referring to I used to insulate the intake some.

Amazon.com: Noico 80 mil 18 sqft car Sound deadening mat, butyl automotive Sound Deadener, audio Noise Insulation and dampening: Automotive

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.