Mahle Forged Diesel Racing Pistons - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
Grumpy Old Bitter Bastard

Mahle Forged Diesel Racing Pistons

So, since they released this summer, has anyone used these yet? And if you have, how are they holding up? They can be had in lower comp ratios, anyone any info?

http://www.martincoadvertising.com/p...l-race-piston/

aka - Grumpy .. aka - Bubba Grump .. aka - Bubba .. aka - Grumpy Old F... . . A "slow" fatass 9K Dually.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 12:27 PM
The Fireman

Send a message via AIM to big_stroker Send a message via Yahoo to big_stroker
Re: Mahle Forged Diesel Racing Pistons

Them are sweet looking... Interested as well

1999.5 F-250 7.3l 4x4 6 spd Ported Heads, Head studs, valve springs, DI Push Rods, DI RR, 38R, Walbro fuel pump, 238cc Injectors from Nate @ Unlimited Diesel and Tuned by Matt @ Gearhead Automotive

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 01:02 PM
AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs

Seems like I remember reading somewhere that forged pistons aren't meant for daily driving. Not sure though. Doesn't Ross make a set also? I'm thinking that's where I saw it.

EMPIRE DIESEL, PERFORMANCE TRUCK PRODUCTS, CEN-TEX DIESEL PERFORMANCE, AND DIESEL INNOVATIONS

ALSO LOTS OF HELP FROM (IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER) TWISTED DIESEL PERFORMANCE, FCDP, ITP, MATT WITH GEARHEAD, ERIC WITH INNOVATIVE, DOUG WITH GOGO DIESEL, CASS WITH FULL FORCE DIESEL, AND SWAMP'S

2005 F350 Fat-Butt Truck
2004 ECSB Procharged F250
post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by imelmo View Post
Seems like I remember reading somewhere that forged pistons aren't meant for daily driving. Not sure though. Doesn't Ross make a set also? I'm thinking that's where I saw it.

I have seen too many stock Mahle pictons cracked thru or with holes burnt thru them. One of the few items remaining I need for my final build is pistons/rings. Whatever I get will be coated too. These are looking good, but want to know if anyone has tried them yet.

aka - Grumpy .. aka - Bubba Grump .. aka - Bubba .. aka - Grumpy Old F... . . A "slow" fatass 9K Dually.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 02:16 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by imelmo View Post

There is no reason why you cant run forged for daily driving. They require more cylinder to piston wall clearence than a cast, so warm ups are Manditory. But other than that I'd run them for sure. If you build a gas motor with a Blower, Turbo, Nitrous you wont find a builder that would recommend a cast piston so I can't belive it has taken this long for a Forged Diesel Piston, they probibly did just not for a ford. Oil cooled and Forged Just imagine how much abuse these things will be able to take.

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Beans Diesel Performance
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 02:35 PM
Do you smell something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRX370r View Post
There is no reason why you cant run forged for daily driving. They require more cylinder to piston wall clearence than a cast, so warm ups are Manditory. But other than that I'd run them for sure. If you build a gas motor with a Blower, Turbo, Nitrous you wont find a builder that would recommend a cast piston so I can't belive it has taken this long for a Forged Diesel Piston, they probibly did just not for a ford. Oil cooled and Forged Just imagine how much abuse these things will be able to take.

It has not taken this long for forged...Arias has had them for YEARS....

IF they don't have steel ringlands, Coatings do not work, then they are NOT a daily driver piston period. Forged pistons in a gasser are not even REMOTELY close to diesel. The Keystone rings will wear a coating off in no time, and then you will be able to put 2 rings in that upper land real quick.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 02:39 PM
PSN Veteran

Sounds like they need to spend some time on developing some rings that will live in a forged piston.

This is somthing I found in a article that adds to what Wacker was saying.

Hard anodizing the upper ring land helps, as does using a steel rectangular shaped top ring. But these forged diesel pistons are intended primarily for “short run” racing, not your average daily driver pickup truck that may also be used for towing.

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Beans Diesel Performance
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wackerjr View Post

IF they don't have steel ringlands, Coatings do not work, then they are NOT a daily driver piston period. Forged pistons in a gasser are not even REMOTELY close to diesel. The Keystone rings will wear a coating off in no time, and then you will be able to put 2 rings in that upper land real quick.
So have you or Zane looked at or used these yet? Or not planning on it?

post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 02:58 PM
AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wackerjr View Post

That's what I saw, Arias. Thanx.

EMPIRE DIESEL, PERFORMANCE TRUCK PRODUCTS, CEN-TEX DIESEL PERFORMANCE, AND DIESEL INNOVATIONS

ALSO LOTS OF HELP FROM (IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER) TWISTED DIESEL PERFORMANCE, FCDP, ITP, MATT WITH GEARHEAD, ERIC WITH INNOVATIVE, DOUG WITH GOGO DIESEL, CASS WITH FULL FORCE DIESEL, AND SWAMP'S

2005 F350 Fat-Butt Truck
2004 ECSB Procharged F250
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 03:00 PM
7.3 PSD Mythology Expert

Simple amswer is don't use keystone rings

Total Seal makes a nice non keystone style ring.

David Lott
Quote:
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!
No purpose no happiness, know purpose know happiness ---> Happiness is a direction not a destination.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode