203 degree Thermostat - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
Praying for BOOST!

203 degree Thermostat

I recently had a leak coming from my water pump where the housing seals to the thermostat, so I decided to take it apart and see what the problem was. Long story made short I ended up cracking my water pump due to a froze bolt. Since I have to replace the pump now I was wondering. Is the 203 degree thermostat worth putting on the truck, and a new billet housing?

2002 F250 super cab w/long bed :thumb:rapid flow intake, zoodad mod, wicked wheel, bellowed uppipes, Custom Wildman Tunes! 4'' exhaust, 5'' rolled chrome tip, banks transcommand, dual trans coolers, cooling mist inject, wheels, tires, tinted windows, and all the chrome accessories I can stack on it! :nod:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 03:49 AM
Subject Matter Expert

Re: 203 degree Thermostat

You dont need it, and it doesnt really make a noticeable difference. It's not easily seen either. I guess you call it one of those mods that just sounds cool. Billet this, billet that... In theory it works, and may help engine efficiency a smidgen.

Stock
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
Praying for BOOST!

Well I read that if I removed my thermostat housing which I have to to replace my water pump, that it won't seal. Is this true or is this them trying to sell a product?

2002 F250 super cab w/long bed :thumb:rapid flow intake, zoodad mod, wicked wheel, bellowed uppipes, Custom Wildman Tunes! 4'' exhaust, 5'' rolled chrome tip, banks transcommand, dual trans coolers, cooling mist inject, wheels, tires, tinted windows, and all the chrome accessories I can stack on it! :nod:
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 03:59 AM
69W900A

Yes, the billet housing is much nicer than the OEM sheetmetal one. However the OEM replacement is like 15.00 at the dealer. The 203* will help trucks that run unloaded most of the time, it will do nothing for a loaded truck and may actually cause the fan to run more often slightly. It just depends on how you drive and what you use your truck for.

TAG II, Exhaust Air Guide, K&N FIPK, Hood insulation delete, foil delete, SX and A1000 pumps, door dinger delete, COMPOUND trans coolers and a Banks Stinger+++ with the Banks TransCommand and Chrome curb Feelers.

248.9HP 4ft/lbs @ 3,400 RPM (don't forget to divide by 1,002 and carry the 5).

Nothing worse than a good idea that doesn't work.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
Praying for BOOST!

so I am guessing the dealer housing and a gasket should do the job huh. No need for me to spend money on anything that wont really help me out that much

post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 05:10 AM
PSN Local

I'd like to verify too. I just got the billet housing and thermostat. A o-ring came with the thermostat. No gasket came with the billet. Am I supposed to get a new gasket for the billet housing?

Thanks,

Jake
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 06:55 AM
PSN Local

I used some blue rtv because it leak with just the o-ring.BTW the 203 stat did nothing for me,couldent tell the difference from stock.

02 F-250 SC SB 4X4
AUTOMETER COBALT EGT BOOST TRANS
4'' SILVERLINE TURBO-BACK STRAIGHT PIPE
6637 INTAKE
HP CROSSOVER LINE
DP TUNER LIVED TUNED BY JODY
JOHN WOOD STREET PERFORMANCE TRANS
CASSERLY 200CC 80% HYBRIDS
TERMINATOR MODDED HPOP
ITP REGULATED RETURN
GARRETT GTP38R
ITP OVERBOOST ANNIHILATOR
468HP 970TQ

CHRIS
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 08:01 AM
Starting Over

same here 203 had no noticed difference on the performance of jizzy.Heater is seriously hot in the winter though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 04:59 AM
PSN Veteran

I didnt notice any difference on day to day driving with the 203, however, when towing, I notice the engine fan comes on alot more then it used to. Makes me want to pull it back out, and go back to the stocker. But it doesnt leak now, and it has final charge antifreeze in it. So Id rather not mess with it, unless I get really, really bored.

Detroit locker and go fast parts.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 05:33 AM
PSN Local

I believe International puts the 203ºF thermostat in the T444E. I don't know if the cooling system is any different between Ford and International.

But I have heard diesel mechanics say that a hotter diesel engine is better. Something about burning more of the soot out and keeping the engine cleaner. Maybe it's kinda like cooking the crud off the BBQ grill, or using a self-cleaning oven. Or maybe it was more about a hotter engine that makes it more efficient at creating a better combustion.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode