Exhaust Leak? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Exhaust Leak?

I've been trying to find an exhaust leak on my truck for some time now. It can only be heard when it's under a load. A couple of weeks ago, when I was warming it up in the driveway, I could hear it when the EBPV was closed and it was at high idle. It sounded like it was coming from the passenger side. The noise was most apparent from the Pass wheel well. I pulled and cleaned the EBPS sensor and tube last night, hoping that I would find a leak in the tube, but it was in perfect shape. I crawled around under the truck and under the hood with a trouble light and couldn't find any soot that would indicate the leak. The up pipes look good, the turbo looks good. Any ideas?

2000 F250 CCSB 4x4. TW 4 pos chip, 5" straight pipe, Boost Fooler, Gauges, built 4r100, triple disk TC, 35" BFG's on 17" wheels, SP TC Controller, EBV Exhaust brake mod.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 02:42 PM
PSN Newb

Re: Exhaust Leak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHevDog1 View Post
I've been trying to find an exhaust leak on my truck for some time now. It can only be heard when it's under a load. A couple of weeks ago, when I was warming it up in the driveway, I could hear it when the EBPV was closed and it was at high idle. It sounded like it was coming from the passenger side. The noise was most apparent from the Pass wheel well. I pulled and cleaned the EBPS sensor and tube last night, hoping that I would find a leak in the tube, but it was in perfect shape. I crawled around under the truck and under the hood with a trouble light and couldn't find any soot that would indicate the leak. The up pipes look good, the turbo looks good. Any ideas?
check the doughnut gasket from the up-pipes to the turbo, it's a common issue on the 7.3s. depending where it's defaulted you may or may not be able to see it.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 02:59 PM
All done now

Look for soot on the firewall, behind the turbo.

Early '99 F350 DRW, Excab, LB. Auto. 2WD, 2010 bed, 2005 headlights, 298K, on my way to 1000K.
H2E, 238 Hybrids, Adrenaline oil, Tuned by Tony. DIY Regulated Return.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 05:00 PM
Genius, when I drink

Check to see that all of your bolts that attach the exhaust housing on the turbo are all still there. I lost 2 out of the 4 and it made for a pretty good leak.

'03 F250 CC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer View Post
blip the throttle, and you just changed your "HPOP" oil
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

put that on youtube
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 09:38 PM
FORD..THE ROCK CRUSHER

finish reading before posting...

Early 99 7.3 F350 auto,TN T-4 mount with a s467 for air,H-11's stud's SRP 1.1 for oil all supplied by unlimited diesel..beehives, DI push rod's, new alliant 315/200 hybrids,Driven diesel fuel system with a fuel lab 41401. ...tuned by Gearhead..

88 F250 7.3 IDI plow truck 112k - bone stock.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 09:45 PM
Genius, when I drink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron's power stroke View Post
finish reading before posting...
Just sayin.....didn't have a whole lot of soot on the exhaust housing except right where it 'pilots' on to the center section. At a quick glance it could easily be missed.

'03 F250 CC

Quote:

put that on youtube
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 09:50 PM
FORD..THE ROCK CRUSHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditch_dawg View Post
Just sayin.....didn't have a whole lot of soot on the exhaust housing except right where it 'pilots' on to the center section. At a quick glance it could easily be missed.
me bad...had nothing to do with you....i should have worded my post better...i posted the EBPS tube then relized after re-reading his post he already checked it...

sorry for the confusion...

Early 99 7.3 F350 auto,TN T-4 mount with a s467 for air,H-11's stud's SRP 1.1 for oil all supplied by unlimited diesel..beehives, DI push rod's, new alliant 315/200 hybrids,Driven diesel fuel system with a fuel lab 41401. ...tuned by Gearhead..

88 F250 7.3 IDI plow truck 112k - bone stock.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I'll try looking closer at the exhaust housing on the turbo this weekend. There is no soot on the firewall.

2000 F250 CCSB 4x4. TW 4 pos chip, 5" straight pipe, Boost Fooler, Gauges, built 4r100, triple disk TC, 35" BFG's on 17" wheels, SP TC Controller, EBV Exhaust brake mod.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 09:54 PM
Genius, when I drink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron's power stroke View Post
me bad...had nothing to do with you....i should have worded my post better...i posted the EBPS tube then relized after re-reading his post he already checked it...

sorry for the confusion...
No problem!!

'03 F250 CC

Quote:

put that on youtube
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 01:07 AM
crossingdelmar.com

That's the funniest avitar I have ever seen! Brought tears to my eyes. Nice work ditch dawg!

1999.5 PSD F350 Crew Dually 2WD, ZF6, 3:54 Dana 80 conversion,Swamps Tunes,H2e,Hypermax Upipes,Swamps Single Shots,6637 Intake,4in Exhaust,Glowshift Gauges,ScanGauge II X units, Ford AIC idle unit, 270 alt,big stereo....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode