Turbo whine? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By President

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Turbo whine?

I have a 01 f-250 7.3L, bought used. I just had the transmission replaced this week. They also replaced the rear main seal while it was out because we thought there was a leak coming from it. Rewind back to before the new trans, the truck started making a funny whine at throttle. The turbo was also (maybe?) surging and whirring. The whine is more like a fire truck siren. It winds up with throttle, holds steady with the throttle held and whines down when you let off. Ive been given a few suggestions:
1) the turbo wheel has play. I took the intake hose off this afternoon and it does not have any play. The hose did have some oil in it. Is this normal?
2) the boots or pedestal seal needs need replacing. I checked the valley. I removed about a half a ton of debris from the valley but it was soaked in oil.
3) the whole turbo is shot. How do I know, short of just replacing it?
4) the power steering pump. This noise is present while in park and giving it throttle. Would the pump still make this noise without doing anything but revenge the engine? And would it get louder and softer? It seems to me that noise would only come when moving the wheel and be a steady noise.

I'm fine taking the turbo off and replacing the boots and seals. I might even be ok venturing into rebuilding the turbo with an upgraded wheel myself. Before I go to those lengths I thought I'd get some opinions here. I'm trying to get YouTube to upload the video I got with in cab and out of cab sounds but it isn't currently cooperating. Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 12:04 AM
MotherHucker

Re: Turbo whine?

Power steering pumps depending on how broken they are they can be the cause of a type of whine or whirring that surges with throttle even without turning the wheels, and it can be very loud, especially the ford pumps. But if you turn the wheels and the noise gets gnarly, its the pump.
As for the turbo, thats out of my knowledge range right now so someone else will have to chime in on it.

Get that YouTube video up and people here can probably identify the sound if its audible.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

It won't let me post links

vimeo.com/211137733
In cabin

vimeo.com/211137699
Out of cabin

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 01:48 AM
MotherHucker

Definitely not power steering. Id think its a turbo thing as it sounds like it loses input force and winds down when you let off the throttle. But I'm no turbo expert by any means, I am new to diesels but not to most other stuff.
Nichole likes this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 02:16 AM
PSN Veteran

Any chance the noise started with the aftermarket air filter?
Also tie open the ebpv and look for exhaust leaks.
Far as it being the power steering pump, you can remove the belt and run the engine see if it goes away.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

1979 chevy c30 dually, sm465, 373's? Converted to 6.2 diesel, pump turned up and advanced a hair.(wrecked)
1994 ford F350 dually 4X4: 7.3 powerstroke, 5 speed. 6637, straight pipe into dual stacks. Cooper discoverer at/3's.
2010 Jetta TDI 40 or so mpg :flippa:
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 06:37 AM
MotherHucker

ford power steering pumps, especially those of the 7.3 and earlier, are very loud when improperly working. They sound like a supercharger and that is no understatement. If it was a power steering problem that video would have made it obvious for all of us if not me at least as I have heard and worked on quite a few power steering problem ridden trucks in the past. removing the belt would have been my next piece of advice if that whining noise was even remotely close to a power steering sound. I'd say, take the turbo off and check all the clearances and seals. if anything is remotely bad remove it and rebuild the turbo. Intake whining sounds just like the turbo, but only really at high boost/rpm. Your sound started as soon as you hit the throttle and sounded like it had inertia to it, E.G. it took a second to go away after the truck returned to idle from an rpm spike.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 11:53 AM
PSN Newb

Have you checked all of your boots? Make sure they are tight and not starting to crack. Also, I assume you haven't rerouted the ccv. That would explain why you have oil in your intake and that may be causing one of your boots to come loose.

2008 F350 Lariat with stump pulling power personal
2006 neutered LBZ Duramax work
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 12:57 PM
alleged moderator

i would say check the boots first.
i can not watch the videos, they are some kind of vimeco thing that youtube does not recognize.

tom
owner of almost to many fords.

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I took the belt off today and the whine did not go away. There is a noise difference since adding the giant air filter but that was added a year ago. I love that added noise. I didn't want to play grease monkey on my birthday so I'll check the boots tomorrow if I make it home before dark.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 01:28 AM
Native Texan

Garage

I would check the boots from the video you shot it sounds like a boost leak so defiantly check the boots.

95 F350 XLT SuperCab Dually

Engine Upgrades:
|Bellowed UpPipes|Stage 1 Injectors|Baby Badger Hpop|Rebuilt Turbo 360 Bearing|Custom E-Fuel|Manual to Auto Conversion
|Delete Pedestal|3" Down Pipe 4" Exhaust|Dual Tensioner and Belt|Stainless Steel HPX Crossover|Banks InterCooler
|42 Gal Rear Tank 38 Gal Front Tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode