Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

I hope the NATION is more responsive than .org

7K views 92 replies 9 participants last post by  Deanramey 
#1 ·
I shared a problem I'm having on another forum and received no assistance so here I am in the NATION.

My problem is my truck loses power under acceleration and dies randomly. I had it scanned at Oreilly's and a shop and they both told me they couldn't communicate with my computer so I replaced the computer, no change in performance. Turns out neither of them knew how to scan a SuperDuty. I took it to another shop for a scan and they said I had multiple codes and I needed to leave it for diagnosis. They said it was most likely a CPS but it had codes for low fuel pressure too. I replaced the CPS and it got better but still had low power and dies randomly. Since then I have replaced my air filter, my fuel filter, tested my fuel pressure and adjusted to 60 psi, rebuilt the IPR and replaced the ICP. I sill lose power on acceleration and the truck still dies randomly. I downloaded FORSCAN and I see ICP numbers reach 1700 psi during acceleration and suddenly drop to 700 psi when it loses power. My IPR numbers are about 20% at idle and when the truck loses power the IPR numbers are about 65%. I changed my oil but that didn't change performance either. I took a resistance reading across the 2 terminals of the IPR and got a reading of 10 ohms. I don't think that's too bad. I expected somewhere around 2-5 ohms but I don't think 10 is unreasonable. When I rebuilt the IPR I could not unscrew the innards out of the IPR so I'm not 100% sure there isn't any gunk stuck in the spring however I did clean it as well as I could and it seemed to move freely when I pushed on the plunger. I have a new IPR on the way and if that doesn't fix my problem I think I'll have no choice but to replace my HPOP. Can anyone help? If you have an idea or any suggestions I would greatly appreciate hearing them. One last thing, I have already done the $.50 UVC harness mod on both sides. All of these problems started just before my TS6 chip arrived so I haven't even been able to enjoy what I expected was going to be a great improvement.

Sorry for the long read but I wanted to be a thorough as possible so there wouldn't be any guessing as to what I have or haven't done.

See less See more
#2 ·
This is the last scan at idle after my last drive. The green is my ICP the blue is my IPR. Sorry for the orientation.

Attachments

#3 ·
I suppose I should have also mentioned that the sensors I replaced, I put in Ford sensors.

#5 ·
Every ground I've seen looks and is secure but is there someplace specific I should be looking?

#6 ·
Sounds like you have a hpo leak somewhere. Most likely injector o rings. Your ipr should be nowhere near 20% at idle. Was the fuel filter black? You could pull the valve covers and start the truck and look at the injectors while running. If you see oil bubbling up around the base of the injector. That one has bad orings. Also watch each injector and see if it is discharging about the same amount of oil out of the spill ports.

Reactions: Zmann
#7 ·
Yes the fuel filter was black and I've read that could be due to a leaking injector o-ring. I've also read that a black fuel filter is very common even without a leaking injector o-ring. The fuel in the bowl is clear and the fuel I took out of the pressure gauge line was also clear. Thank you for the suggestion to watch the injectors while running. I have to work today but the first chance I get I'll take the valve covers off and watch it run. I'll let y'all know what I see then. Thanks again. Dean

#8 ·
If you find one bad oring. It's best to do all 8 injectors. It's only $65.

#9 ·
On the scan, Oreilly's quite possibly can't read any codes on these trucks. That is unless they have a code reader that can read Fords codes and 99% of the parts stores out there don't have one.

#12 ·
Thats why I bought the ELM327 cable and downloaded the FORSCAN software. I'll never rely on someone else to scan the codes for this truck or another ford for that matter.

#10 ·
correct. Also if they cannot connect (communicate) with PCM then you do not just go buy a new PCM, first you check the fuses the OBD port must have power for a scanner to communicate
I hope you saved your old PCM
Let these guys know what you see under the valve cover!

#13 ·
I did save the old PCM and I returned the new PCM. But it's not that simple. I did suffer a 25% restocking fee on the returned PCM.

#14 ·
The fuel pressure test was done at idle because I was working alone and the fuel hose wasn't long enough to reach the cab so I couldn't operate the pedals and watch the gauge at the same time. I'm sorry I had to work all day. Several hours longer than I planned. Maybe I'll get to work on the truck tomorrow. I'll have to check the Honey-Do list. Y'all have already been way more helpful that the guys at .org. And for that I thank y'all very much. I will advise when I have more info.

Reactions: Zmann
#15 ·
ya know most of us same guys are at the ORG also
it's just the luck of the draw and how you title a thread that changes it's direction sometimes

the ORG is actually more active than the Nation but they each have their own personalities

#16 ·
I thought that was probably the case but I was looking for some kind of help for about 2 weeks and received only 1 response. I posted update after update and the only person responding to my thread was me. I did learn quite a bit but it was only due to my own research in the forum. There was plenty of great information and maybe I should have titled my post with a more attractive title.

Regardless I have learned a lot and I haven't had to spend a ton of money YET.

#17 ·
OK gentlemen and ladies if there are any reading, don't want offend anyone by exclusion, I just finished running the engine with the valve covers off and inspecting for any evidence of leaking injector o-rings and I didn't see anything that I would think was out of the ordinary. I didn't see any oil bubbling from around the injectors and all of the injector discharge ports seemed to be flowing about the same amount of oil. I took some video of it running so I might get some insight from one of you. I'll upload some of it once I get them loaded into my computer and edited to be small enough to post. Maybe y'all will see something I didn't. I don't know exactly what I should have been seeing since I'm an engineer not a professional mechanic.

#18 ·
Ladies and gentlemen,

I took off early from work today in hopes that my new IPR valve would arrive early. It is supposed to be here tomorrow. So I put the valve covers back on, from the injector o-ring leak check yesterday, and put the intercooler piping back on. Low and behold the new IPR valve arrived. I got it replaced and it was time for the OP check. Started the truck, good sign it started, but then it was loping bad. like it had a serious racing cam in it. Eventually the air cleared out of the HPOP and high pressure oil lines and the truck idled nicely. Took it for a test drive and WoooHooo!!!!! It's fixed. I finally got to enjoy the TS 6 pos chip. That really is nice. I'm sure it will be even better when I get my 6637 filter and intake done. I've been waiting until I got the truck right. Now I get to do the intake, Zoodad, gauges, and exhaust. Can't wait.

Thank you all for your input. It is very much appreciated. I'm not leaving the forum. I'll stick around. Who knows maybe I can help someone some day.

Thank you all.

#21 ·
I don't mind a question of ones logic, I might even posture that's what forums are for
Snowflakes get triggered when hit with stuff that doesn't fit in their daily selfie blog agenda

Reactions: 1970something
#23 ·
LOL. Triggered. It's really sad what this country is becoming isn't it? Slowly but surely, like the relentless pounding of the tide, this wave of progressive agenda is eroding our nation, right from under our feet. And there doesn't seem to be anything we can do about it.

#24 ·
Only thing I can do is lead this clan by example, I have my son and two grandkids with another on the way all following my example....just like my dad did for me. Silent majority is just that SILENT until needed. You are not alone!! We are still out here, just lying low to avoid triggering some more mass hysteria. One thing we did do was keep queen satan bitch out of office!! Colorado = too far gone, soooo sad! Everyone in my family are natives to this state and now we are leaving it!!

Reactions: jamiesaun
#26 ·
I know it. I feel sorry for places like Colorado, Washington and Oregon. Places where the only liberals in the state live in the big cities. Unfortunately, these cities are big enough to speak for the entire sate. Then these dumbasses make the state so bad that they move to another state, and vote the exact same way, eventually ruining that state too, and so on. There is another organism that exhibits this behavior...it's called a locust. Also a virus does this.

It's not good enough for them to chit in their own yard, they wanna come chit in our yard too. Actually, they want the hill to pass laws that force us to oblige them chitting in our yard. Then pass more laws to make it a hate crime if we object to it.

Don't feel too bad 410. Soon enough, every state is going to suffer the same fate of Colorado. Boise is already well underway.

#28 ·
well said
we left So Cal in 1984.... Denver looks very similar these days
We are heading NORTH!!!! I work from home and we want to ride

Have faith, they will soon learn not everyone who votes lives on a coast.

I trusted my gut and landed here at the Nation, glad I did! Even when my posts were getting no attention and I was the sole responder I took it with a grain of salt...people are reading and the ones with input will chime in. Just gotta have thick skin! I was a mod on Explorerforum years ago until my 7 week old son flatlined 3 times on my first fathers day...then my priorities shifted a great deal..

#30 ·
miracle
prayer works
He has united this family
I cherish every single day

Reactions: Jax and joehelf
#32 ·
It is the absolute worst nightmare any parent can live through. Thankfully 410 didn't have to experience the other side of that situation. I can tell you from personal experience it put me in a mental place where I have to decide every day whether I want to deal with the world or see my son again. I love him very much but since July 31 1997 i have chosen to face the world. Hopefully today goes well as I have chosen to deal with the world for another day. RIP J D Ramey 3/11/94 - 7/31/97. I'll see you again some day.

Reactions: 1970something
#33 ·
OK well this thread has gone from me trying to get a little help to a political discussion, where we have determined that cities hold the majority of idiots, i mean liberals that can control entire states, to me crying my eyes out.

Thanks for all the help. I spent yesterday evening buying the rest of the mods I'm gonna do. I got a 4" turbo back MBRP exhaust, I got a 3 in 1 gauge set, and I got a 75K ohm and a 73.2K ohm resistor and a 4.7V zener diode. I sure am looking forward to getting all these done. Getting my truck right has allowed me to enjoy the TS chip. I really like the power my truck has now and it's only going to get better.

#34 ·
Dean, So sorry you lost your child!, every parents worst fear you are right I can only imagine. You can do this! I know its strange but everything does happen for a reason and as you know he is in a better place and you will be reunited someday when you are done here with your journey. Do what J.D would want you to do, live and remember but LIVE! Life is so strange.
3 in 1 gauge set, and I got a 75K ohm and a 73.2K ohm resistor and a 4.7V zener diode
sweet! What gauge set did you get? What are the resistors for?

#37 ·
Thank you, I did't mean to make this a pity party. Though I do very much appreciate the support.

I'm looking so forward to the rest of my mods. I love the power the truck now has since it is fixed and with the TS chip. It's only going to get better too. After I get done with my additions and deletions I'll get a custom tune. Is there a tuner in the north east Texas area that might be willing to do a live tune? For a reasonable price, of course.

#36 ·
sweet! What gauge set did you get? What are the resistors for?[/QUOTE]

I got the GlowShift 3 in 1 EGT, Boost, and Fuel pressure, because the tranny temp is the least expensive. The resistors are for the IDM high voltage mod. I got 2 because they are cheap and I won't know which one I need until I gain access to the IDM.

#38 ·
What time zone is this forum working on? I just posted at 8:55 PM Central time and the time associated with the post is 1:55 AM. Must be Greenwich mean time.

#39 ·
Just a heads up. Those glowshift gauges are highly inaccurate. They also don't last long. I would recommend isspro or autometers. Or better yet a cts 2

Also almost all idms are the same voltage. The earlier 94 ones are lower. Everything else is 120v. The other numbers on thw idms are part numbers.

#42 ·
Just a heads up. Those glowshift gauges are highly inaccurate. They also don't last long.
I only have this very limited budget because I sold the washer and dryer I had before my wife and I got married. My wife controls the books and it's a good thing she does because otherwise I'd go hog wild with this thing. After we were married in 2014 we bought 35 acres to build our home on. Well the house she wants is going to be pretty darn expensive to build, so to save money faster we bought a mobile and put it on our 35 acres to live in temporarily while we save and, if all goes well, build our house in a couple of years. In the mean time at least we aren't paying rent anymore. Once our house is built maybe I can go all out on some awesome gauges. Until then I just needed to get the most bang for my buck.

#40 ·
So then I would only need the 73.2K ohm resistor?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.