Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Extended idle tune?

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  444whitehorse 
#1 ·
I'm sitting here thinking, and I get a crazy idea (maybe?).. Is it theoretically possible to idle on 6 or 4 cylinders? For instances where say, you're sitting in a rest stop catching a cat nap while driving across country. I've not heard of it being done and I didn't search... Wasn't sure if it was something that warranted searching.

Just a brainstorm is all.

Fat fingered using Tapatalk.

#2 ·
that would be nice...saving a little fuel while I waste my time waiting on a petrochemical operator to show up in the unit. My grandma had an Cadillac 8 6 4 Sedan Deville...I think many gasser cars select to defuel cylinders today. Some thing to research on the phone next time I am waiting on an operator!

Reactions: 444whitehorse
#3 ·
That was my thoughts, many modern gasoline engines operate like that in one fashion or another. If memory doesn't fail me, I believe there is a fair amount involved with the valve timing for those particular cycles as well. Idk.

#5 ·
Right, I'm wanting to do the opposite. Have all injectors firing at speed, but drop a couple or more at idle.

In my mind, it doesn't seem all that complicated... How far off base is this to being possible though?

#7 ·
years ago when I lived in an apt there was this kid, I wasn't much older,. working on a Delta 88....He had been working on this engine for weeks. So being a DIY mechanic I finally walked over to see if I could help in some way. He explained that a piston had broke so he removed it. He went on and said it ran rough after removing this piston and connecting rod. So he removed the other 3 piston assemblies in that same bank of cylinders. His thought was other cars run on 4 cylinders why not this one....I just walked away shaking my head.

That is a true story. 1983.

#8 · (Edited)
Lol, that sounds like something my buddy would do, sooo fully and completely. Not so much tho because he's an idiot... I mean, sometimes I wonder but that's beside the point lol. He's just ignorant to the mechanical workings of an engine, or suspension, etc. Your story legitimately sounds like something he might ask me in the most serious of a manner that you'd swear he was retarded for even asking such a question. Lol. By God that man will build you a hell of a house though, give him a hammer and nothing else, he's a damn magician.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.