99 7.3 Hydro locked after changing glow plugs? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

99 7.3 Hydro locked after changing glow plugs?

I changed my glow plugs made sure minimal oil got into cylinder when changing. Put the truck back together fired right up but started blowing coolant out of the overflow cap! Let it overlflow took the cap off and let the truck run thought maybe I had an air bubble in the cooling system. The truck stayed cool, I didn't have any heat, and my oil temp level would get into the 200's just sitting at idle. Tore the truck back apart and checked to make sure I didn't mess a glow plug up somehow. Everything was good. I took a rubber hammer and tapped down on the drivers front injector(that was the only injector I messed wit's when taking the plugs out. I DID NOT PULL IT OUT OR TRY TO. Put the truck back together started fine and coolant and heat was good and no smoke. Drove the truck around town, parked it in my garage shut it off and coolant started overflowing. Removed cap let it flow out also no heat now, coolant level lowered and I had heat and everything. Let the truck run for 45 minutes no problem. Shut it off let it sit for an hour. Tried to start it and bam hydrolocked. Removed drivers front glow plug and injector full of water? What do I do? Could this be injector cups? Help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 01:49 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: 99 7.3 Hydro locked after changing glow plugs?

yikes
water in your cylinder is probably the injector cup seal yes
The injector cup separates the coolant from the injector body, if you disturbed that seal then it will leak coolant into combustion chamber

I'm pretty sure the glow plug housing goes through the water jacket as well but unless you punched a hole in the head there its not going to leak coolant.

What did you do while you were in there near cyl #1?
You mentioned you "messed with" injector #1 what does that mean?

1997 CCLB 7.3, ZF5, 4x4, 4.10, brought back from the dead
2001 Excursion 7.3, auto, 4x4, 3.73, new to us freight train family hauler
I build custom trucks and off road toys in my private shop located in Crawlorado
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 01:52 PM
PSN Veteran

if you smacked the injector body when the injector was already bottomed out then it may have indeed disturbed the injector cup seals

1997 CCLB 7.3, ZF5, 4x4, 4.10, brought back from the dead
2001 Excursion 7.3, auto, 4x4, 3.73, new to us freight train family hauler
I build custom trucks and off road toys in my private shop located in Crawlorado

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 07:33 PM
PSN Veteran

While it's not as common, just removing the Injector can break the seal on the cup.
Just ask a duramax owner. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

1979 chevy c30 dually, sm465, 373's? Converted to 6.2 diesel, pump turned up and advanced a hair.(wrecked)
1994 ford F350 dually 4X4: 7.3 powerstroke, 5 speed. 6637, straight pipe into dual stacks. Cooper discoverer at/3's.
2010 Jetta TDI 40 or so mpg :flippa:
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks for the input! By mess with the injector I took brown square off the top of the injector I figured I could get to the glow easier, I was wrong and put it back together exactly how that came off. I didnt mess with any other injectors. That's the same cylinder that hydrolocked the truck. I pulled the injector and glowplug on drivers front cylinder and antifreeze and oil immediately started running I can roll the motor over now with a ratchet. So now I'm looking locally for the tool to pull and install sleeves.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Found a tool! Pulled the drivers front cup and sure enough it was cracked. Cleaned the hole up nice and shiny and installed the new one with green lock tight. Gonna get the injector rearing kit in the morning and do the rings on that injector and put it back together. I'll let y'all know how it turns out. I appreciate all the help!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 02:50 AM
PSN Veteran

Nice.
I'm surprised you found the correct tools so fast. Lol

1979 chevy c30 dually, sm465, 373's? Converted to 6.2 diesel, pump turned up and advanced a hair.(wrecked)
1994 ford F350 dually 4X4: 7.3 powerstroke, 5 speed. 6637, straight pipe into dual stacks. Cooper discoverer at/3's.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Oh man you aren't kidding. It was extremely hard to hunt down, the guy doesn't know how much I appreciate it. Haha puttin the truck back together right now.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 03:13 PM

You just pulled the solenoid off the injector. So that would of not made a difference. Sounds like you just have bad luck. Or good luck. I have no idea hlw you where able to find that tool for the cups

01 f-250, Standard
Rev tech 4" lift, 37" military wrangler Mt tires
KC diy 66, Full force 160/100 and custom tunes from PHP
Banks intercooler and full 4" exhaust, Diy S&B intake
Diy quad feed, Hydra, Isspro boost, pyro, and fuel pressure
3/0 battery cables with military style terminals
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 03:15 PM
PSN Veteran

That's what I'm saying. Not to mention, no one even had to tell him what the tool is. He did his own research.

So was it a shop, store, or person that had it?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode