7.3 Coolant? and oil? on top and front of engine - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

7.3 Coolant? and oil? on top and front of engine

Hey everyone,

I have a 2003 7.3 powerstroke with 272k on it and I think it has some coolant puddling in the valley on the top of the motor. Also seems to be some oil on the top as well and some down the front. Anyone have any suggestions on where to start? I have pulled the dip stick and it doesn't really look milky and the coolant doesn't seem to have oil in it. Also, did the squeeze test on the upper radiator hose and it seems to still be soft. I am new to this engine so I am still learning. Thank you for any help.

Have a great day,
Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Re: 7.3 Coolant? and oil? on top and front of engine

Also, some more information. I drove it 4.5 hours on the interstate yesterday and didn't have any trouble with it. No high coolant temps or EGT temps. Oil pressure was fine and didn't see any white smoke. I cranked it this am and it cranked fine and didn't see any smoke.

2003 F350 SRW 7.3 Powerstroke with 272,678 miles.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 04:18 PM
PSN Veteran

are you sure thats coolant puddling in the valley? There is not alot of places for coolant to leak into the valley (that I am aware of, Im pretty new to the 7.3 also)
The heater core hoses do pass over the top of the HPOP, other then that its all oil and fuel that flow above the valley

Best bet is to clean it all up and use some clean rags in the valley to help pinpoint where the leaks are coming from
There are LOTS of places for oil and fuel to leak up there......

1997 CCLB 7.3, ZF5, 4x4, 4.10, brought back from the dead
2001 Excursion 7.3, auto, 4x4, 3.73, new to us freight train family hauler
I build custom trucks and off road toys in my private shop located in Crawlorado

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

ok, I will try that and see if I can see anything. If I was to try to do a coolant compression test, do you think that would show me where the leak is? Or is that just for internal leak problems?

Thank you

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 08:22 PM
PSN Veteran

yes coolant pressure test is a great way to find coolant leaks internal and external
They have a dye and light kit to help find the more difficult ones

I build custom trucks and off road toys in my private shop located in Crawlorado
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 09:39 PM
Ya, the new guy..

I know you said coolant and oil, buuuut... If you still have your fuel bowl up there, I'd look at the drain valve. Fuel is often mistaken as coolant, due to it looking fluorescent when it is sitting in the valley (if I had to guess why). Those valves are pretty leak prone, and if it was replaced with the Dorman variety, expect to see an equally large amount of fuel in the valley in a year...

Don't ask me how I know that, it might bring back suppressed memories..

Fat fingered using Tapatalk.

Hers - 02 250 XC SD 4x4 7.3 - 140k miles, Gauges, 5" turbo back, bellows, RR and bowl delete... Nothing special yet...

Mine - 97 350 CC 4x4 7.3 - 315k miles, gauges, 4" turbo back, smoked lights on all 4 corners and "7.3" 6.7 style badges... Nothing special yet...

Last edited by 444whitehorse; 02-13-2017 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Clarification
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 11:22 PM
PSN Newb

coollant pressure check, with that many miles, thats the best way to go.

Keep on truckin!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 04:25 PM
Mr Diesel Rx

Garage

If you have oil in the valley it could be allot of things, turbo pedistal o-rings, IPR sensor, valve covers, hpop, high pressure line, icp valve, l believe that's all
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 04:32 PM
PSN Veteran

oil galley plugs/ O rings, leaky EBPV solenoid and sensor can also put oil in the valley

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thank you for the info everyone, I looked at it for a minute yesterday and there is definitely oil in the valley pooled up, but not that ya'll mention it, it could be fuel in there as well. I just saw a greenish color. I should have more time this weekend and I will check it out more and let you know what I find. Thanks again everyone.

Side note, is there a preffered way to get the oil cleaned up from the valley? Do I just use towels or can I use carb cleaner or something similar to clean it?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode