Another 7.3 blowing smoke - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 119 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 04:05 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Another 7.3 blowing smoke

Hi folks,
My name is Pete and I'm new to the forum and new to powerstrokes. I fix construction equipment for a living, so im familiar with industrial diesels like Perkins, Hatz, Deutz. Anyway I have a 2001 F250 that I just got from an auction and it's a project. I've reconditioned the injectors, and rebuilt the turbo. It's blowing white smoke and black fuel-like spooge out the tailpipe. So obviously to me, one (or more) of the injectors is wide open, or at least dumping more fuel than it should.

So my question to th group is, what's the best way to find out what cylinder(s) are taking on too much fuel? I don't have forscan or AE. I'm going to pick up one or the other very soon, but until then, is sure like to spitball about how to figure this out.

Anyhow thanks for reading, and thanks for any pointers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 119 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 05:06 AM
DorffMan

Re: Another 7.3 blowing smoke

Who reconditioned the injectors? I'd take then back in and have them tested... Even if you did them yourself, whenever I have an injector prob, I pull them all, take them to get teste/flowed, and get a printout of their performance. Then if I have a problem again, I can narrow down potential suspects. Other than that, maybe pull the valve covers and unplug 1 injector harness at a time and run the engine for a bit between each one to see if the prob stops... Although if one is stuck open it might not get you very much info.
post #3 of 119 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I did all work myself and it was the first time with injectors like these, so chances for a screw up are high. Good points all around! While I'm finding a shop to test the injectors I'll disconnect them one at a time like you mentioned.

Here's a YouTube of it running the other day. I can hear one cylinder is having almost a "bang" for its exhaust cycle. I bet the two events are related :)

post #4 of 119 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Can't paste links yet I guess. If you go to you tube and search for

SCGT6H3PJug

You'll see it.
post #5 of 119 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 07:37 AM
DorffMan

That loud bang could work to your advantage. A mechanics stethoscope or a long screwdriver being used as a stethoscope could help you narrow down the problem cylinder.
post #6 of 119 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 07:41 AM
DorffMan

I saw the vid... Definitely a hitch in the giddyup. Sounds like a "one cylinder" lope tho... How's the oil look? Is it gaining oil volume?
post #7 of 119 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Actually the oil level is high! Could be whatever cylinder is filling with fuel :) I'm having fuel get into my oil somehow. Yes that banging is quite loud. Really easy to hear when I loosen the turbo outlet clamp. So maybe I'll do as you said today and see which one makes the banging stop. I'm suspect of cylinder #5 because that injector came out with a busted lower oring. I bet that one is still giving me trouble.
post #8 of 119 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

BTW I'm getting 300-350 compressions all around, which is giving me mixed signals about how the fuel is getting in the oil. Anyway, I have a shop about 15 mins from where the truck is now (my house). I'm hoping to get it running well enough to limp it to the shop where its nice and warm inside and I'll probably pull the engine and rebuild it there. I'm sure I've stumbled across the reason it was at the auction.
post #9 of 119 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 01:31 PM
Master BS'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ster1 View Post
I'm sure I've stumbled across the reason it was at the auction.
Yep. Once you get into auction cars, it's a whole new ballgame. I've somehow managed to make a career out of fixing auction cars.

I gotta think it's not simply a bad injector. It's more likely whoever owned it put an injector in it and it didn't fix it so they traded it in on a new truck. Then the lot ran it through the auction instead of fixing it. Good news is you wanted a project, now ya got one. but it'll all be worth it once ya get it figured out.

I would want to put a scope on it and look at the waveforms, possibly check the timing too. As for narrowing down a cylinder, assuming it is only one or two cylinders, you could try an infared thermometer on the manifolds coming out of each cylinder. That might tell you which one is having problems. I'm not sure if you can disconnect the injectors or not. I know on a 6.0 that won't work because the ficm would simply turn off all the injectors, but it might work on a 7.3. Only one way to find out right?

Jamie.

p.s...I'm pretty frickin awesome!
post #10 of 119 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 01:45 PM

Sounds like a bad uvch. Ohm out the harness

So g is glow plug, i is injector and c is the common circuit for tje injectors.
(G)(G)(I)(I)(C)(I)(I)(G)(G)
So ohm from each injector and the common. 0.5-2.5 ogms. From injector to injector. Should be open. From injectors to glowplugs. Should be open.

01 f-250, Standard
Rev tech 4" lift, 37" military wrangler Mt tires
KC diy 66, Full force 160/100 and custom tunes from PHP
Banks intercooler and full 4" exhaust, Diy S&B intake
Diy quad feed, Hydra, Isspro boost, pyro, and fuel pressure
3/0 battery cables with military style terminals

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode