T-500 Installed- NO START. - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

T-500 Installed- NO START.

I recently purchased a T-500 HPOP to replace a tired stocker with 212,000 Miles. The truck started and ran fine (minus a little low on power) prior to the HPOP swap. Now I cannot get this truck to start and am about to rip my hair out. About 6 months ago I took the stock pump our and resealed it and had zero issues getting my truck back on the road. That being said this is what is going on.

Truck cranks over with no sign of even wanting to start. It just cranks and Cranks. No white smoke out the tail pipe only after I crank on it for a very long time will I get a very very light smoke.

I have checked, double checked, and triple checked my work and everything has been installed correctly.
I have even completely started over and removed and re-installed the HPOP just to be sure everything was done according to procedure. The Drive Gear bolt is torqued down to 95-100 FT LBs.

I have no way to check duty cycle but did have a spare known working IPR that I swapped just to be sure- Same results

Yes IPR is installed, torqed to spec, Tin nut nice and snug, and harness is plugged in, No I did switch up the IPR connector with the Turbo pedestal one.

I tried starting with ICP unplugged with no change in results.

I hooked a manual gauge to my ICP plug port- ICP pressures showed 0 until about 4-6 seconds after cranking, then pressure would slowly climb up to 350-400 PSI. Which I know Is lower than needed to fire.

I also installed Riffraffs HPX at the same time- I have literally cranked this engine over for problem 2 hours total cranking time- recharging my batts multiple times and blowing up one starter (it was well over due and giving me intermittent issues prior to this whole mess.

CPS was replaced about 2 months ago

ICP sensor and pigtail replaced about 3 months ago

IPR is only about 3 months old

Injectors have had all orings replaced about 1 month ago

Brand new fuel pump

Brand new fuel spring

Just had a CCT and buzz test performed by two highly regarded shops in my area, both passed with flying colors on the injectors.

I really hate to say it but this has consumed the better half of the last 4 days and I am really frustrated. I know these pumps have a good reputation with minimal failure rate but I am beginning to think I may have gotten a DOA pump.

Do you guys recommend trying anything else before trying to get ahold of Joey to look this pump over? I have reached out to him several time for advise with no response. I need this truck back up and running asap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 12:13 PM

Re: T-500 Installed- NO START.

Dead head the pump and see what pressure it builds too.

01 f-250, Standard
Rev tech 4" lift, 37" military wrangler Mt tires
KC diy 66, Full force 160/100 and custom tunes from PHP
Banks intercooler and full 4" exhaust, Diy S&B intake
Diy quad feed, Hydra, Isspro boost, pyro, and fuel pressure
3/0 battery cables with military style terminals
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I am not familiar with this process could you please explain how to do this?

Thanks for the reply I am about to toss this truck off a cliff ha ha

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 03:26 PM
PSN Veteran

Even though you've torqued the drive bolt, pull it again, then use a inspection mirror to see if the gear is actually seated on the shaft.
My next suggestion would be to pull the fuel bowl/ipr harness and inspect it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

1979 chevy c30 dually, sm465, 373's? Converted to 6.2 diesel, pump turned up and advanced a hair.(wrecked)
1994 ford F350 dually 4X4: 7.3 powerstroke, 5 speed. 6637, straight pipe into dual stacks. Cooper discoverer at/3's.
2010 Jetta TDI 40 or so mpg :flippa:
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I have a picture of the drive gear installed, I cannot figure out how to post it. But to describe it the HPOP is centered with the gear. It is not 100% flush with the gear but in as far as I could get it without beating on it. Is the Hpop and the gear supposed to be 100% flush from the inspection port? If so do I tap the gear on with a hammer or something? in the past this was not necessary?

Thanks for all the suggestions I really appreciate it.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 04:01 PM
PSN Veteran

No, it won't go all the way, iirc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

1979 chevy c30 dually, sm465, 373's? Converted to 6.2 diesel, pump turned up and advanced a hair.(wrecked)
1994 ford F350 dually 4X4: 7.3 powerstroke, 5 speed. 6637, straight pipe into dual stacks. Cooper discoverer at/3's.
2010 Jetta TDI 40 or so mpg :flippa:
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 03:15 AM
PSN Newb

Check out your Engine Oil Temperature Sensor. PCM uses it for determining glow plug on time, EPR actuation, Idle Speed, Fuel Delivery, and injection timing. If that is bad i dont believe it will start and its right in the area of the HPOP. Perhaps you broke a crispy wire in the harness. Make sure its getting 5 volts input. 4.37 V output at 32 F. 1.37 V at 176 F
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 05:11 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thank you everybody for all the suggestions.

After Clay with Riffraff recommended a small shot of ether with the glow plug relay unplugged I got the truck started. The engine looked and felt as if it was going to rip itself right of the chasis for the first 5 minutes it shook so violently. After it smoothed out I turned my PHP Hydra to high idle and let it run for about another 15 minutes, Then took it on a casual 3 mile drive.

Everything seems to be fine and it starts right up now. Maybe it just needed a little pick me up to get going. I will say I believe my HPOP has been weak the entire time I have owned this truck because it is a whole new animal I cant believe how quick it is even on stock setting.

Also thanks to Justin at DP tuner for the advise on the Manual ICP guage

Thanks again for all the help.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 11:59 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones51 View Post
Thank you everybody for all the suggestions.

After Clay with Riffraff recommended a small shot of ether with the glow plug relay unplugged I got the truck started. The engine looked and felt as if it was going to rip itself right of the chasis for the first 5 minutes it shook so violently. After it smoothed out I turned my PHP Hydra to high idle and let it run for about another 15 minutes, Then took it on a casual 3 mile drive.

Everything seems to be fine and it starts right up now. Maybe it just needed a little pick me up to get going. I will say I believe my HPOP has been weak the entire time I have owned this truck because it is a whole new animal I cant believe how quick it is even on stock setting.

Also thanks to Justin at DP tuner for the advise on the Manual ICP guage

Thanks again for all the help.
Glad you got it going.

Yes, it will run rough while all that air is in the system. This just takes time to work out. I remember doing the T500 on my truck. It would gradually start quicker and quicker every time the truck was started. After a few days, it fired up like normal and have worked perfect since.

Having a healthy HPOP is very beneficial. You normally don't know how weak yours really was until you put a healthy one in.

Justin Bochmann

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Like us on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode