Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Synthetic oil?

6K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  longbowhntr 
#1 ·
I changed my truck over to 5-40 synthetic oil now my truck takes a little longer to start is this normal? Took it to a shop and they hooked it up to the computer said everything is where it should be no codes.They said it was the thinner oil that I should go to a 15-40 synthetic has anyone ever had this problem or could it be something else hate to change the oil now only have 2,000 miles on it not cheap to change.

#3 ·
I ran 5w40 synthetic delo in my 6.0l with no issues. The synthetic might have cleaned some internal buildup that is causing an internal oil pressure leak. Just a guess.

#4 ·
leechiu

They said the same thing at the shop I took it to so they hooked it up and ran tests on everything and said iam not losing any pressure or anything and everything checked out good when they hooked it up.They said not to worry about it to just change it back to 15-40 on my next oil change.Drives me crazy though I know alot of people on here are running 5-40 in there 7.3 year around with no issues.

#6 ·
i have tried rotella and delvac once each. my truck just turned 108k miles. i only have every used motorcraft oil and the prev owner as well. i have all his receipts from his oil changes. the two times i have tried a diff brand i have noticed a rougher idle and an idle lope as well as it cranking a bit longer. everytime i go back to motorcraft it all goes away. walmart sell the motorcraft cheaper than any parts store and it's cheaper than rotella and delvac on there shelves. i only tried the others because they were out those days.

#7 ·
I ran 5-40 one time since I've owned my 6.4 when they were predicting a cold snap for jersey. We never got it and I ran the 5-40 to its life 4200 miles then switched back to 15. There was a noticeable difference in engine feel, but never a bad one.. I always run synthetic regardless of weight but the 15 always feels slightly smoother to me at operating temps...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
Thanks for your replys taking it to a local diesel shop this week to see if the can find anything. I noticed today it starts fine cold and if i start it and shut it off and start it right away again it starts quick, only starts a litttle longer when it is warm and i shut it off and let it sit more than five minutes then it takes a little longer to start.

#10 ·
Let me know how it works out for you. Just got back from hunting or I would of helped out some more. Who did you take it to? If you need any help let me know.

#11 ·
Sbluke I just got back from hunting in nebraska,I took it to the diesel doctor in grd.jct. they checked the duty cycle he said it stayed under 20% the whole time he said that was good and everything else checked out good it said something about the #8 injecter but he said that was normal.It only takes a little longer to start when it is warm and you let it sit for about five minutes then start it. He said it could be the ipr orings are letting a little oil pressure leak off or maybe an injecter o ring he doubts that since i dont have any oil in my fuel or anything and it doesnt use any oil.The truck only has 65,000 miles on it.I was thinking about changing the ipr orings this weekend and see what happens or should i just get a new ipr valve ? I hate to spend $200 on something i dont need.Do you have to drain the hpop and fill it back up when you change the ipr?It seems to run fine other than the slower start when warm.

#12 ·
With Duty cycle staying under 20%, is that wot on the road?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

#14 ·
Then if that's correct, I don't think you have a ipr, hpop, nor oring problem.
I would start with the starter.

#15 ·
It starts fine cold and if i shut it off warm then start it right up again it starts fast only when it is warm and you shut it off and let it sit for more than five minutes it takes a little longer to start not to long just a couple cranks longer driving me crazy no one can seem to figure it out,he thinks it could just be the thinner oil to when it gets warm never did this when i ran 15-40 i guess i could change it back and see what happens.

#16 ·
I would start with checking your icp sensor. Unplug it and check for oil. If you see oil in the connector it's bad.

You can change out your ipr orings. You can get the kit from Ford or you can stop by h&h hydraulics at 912 19 1/2 Rd, Fruita, CO 8152. It's not too much heartier from Ford. Then pick up two -012 orings and one -114. Get them in viton.
You will want to try and suck most of the fluid out of the hpop res. You don't have to refill it. When you have it out you might as well clean it.

#18 ·
I wouldn't use the Napa one. It's most likely a Dorman set. You will have way more problems than you did before.

#19 ·
I decided to just buy an ipr and change the whole thing did that this weekend didn't help at all was a waste of $160.00 used a motorcraft one, dont know what else to do.Seemed to make it worse now the idle is fluctuating really bad dont know if I have air in it or what drove it about forty miles seems to be getting better.I guess I will have to take it in to a dealership and see if they can figure it out.they want $130 just to hook it up to the computer.

#22 ·
Before you take it in. I can scan it and see if I can find anything.

#20 ·
If I understand your issue, you're saying the truck takes longer to start when it's been run and sat for a few mins? If that's the case it could be your starter. My truck would start fine when cold but after it was hot it wouldn't want to start again if I ran into the store or something. Turns out the heat was affecting the starter. I put a rebuilt Motorcraft starter on and the problem went away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#21 ·
Yup. I said that above also.
I just switched to LE monolec ultra 15W40.
I don't have any hot start issues.

Heat creates resistance. Which is why a failing ipr Solenoid will give a no hot start. Same goes for a starter.

#23 ·
That would be nice if you could its about to drive me crazy not sure what to try next,unplugged the icp and started it and shut it off still the same.Don't think its the starter seems to crank over really fast.Let me know what would be a good day and time that would work for you,I work this week Mon-Wed have Thursday-Sunday off.Eric 970-901-2124 call or text

#24 ·
I put the new ipr on and it ran bad thought maybe i had air in the system drove it for over 100 miles still no change up and down idle, changed it back to the old ipr yesterday runs good and idles fine still has the slow start when warm,i would think the new ipr would make it run the same or better?Looks like I have maybe a little oil coming out around the cps I dont know if that would mess with anything?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.