Choice, either drive or run windshield wipers - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Choice, either drive or run windshield wipers

Driving down the road and it starts to rain I turn on my wipers and the engine stops, so I can do one or the other. Does anyone else have this problem or know a solution for it? 1999 F350 7.3 Power Stroke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 02:14 AM

Re: Choice, either drive or run windshield wipers

Buy a new cps. Ford or international. $30 and it's fixed. Very common.

01 f-250, Standard
Rev tech 4" lift, 37" military wrangler Mt tires
KC diy 66, Full force 160/100 and custom tunes from PHP
Banks intercooler and full 4" exhaust, Diy S&B intake
Diy quad feed, Hydra, Isspro boost, pyro, and fuel pressure
3/0 battery cables with military style terminals
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 03:45 AM
PSN Local

maybe a shorted wire in the steering column

00' 7.3 Power stroke.
-Afe Big Boost air filter.
-Magnaflow exhaust.
-PHP Hydra chip.
-Riffraff Compressor Wheel.
-Riffraff Fuel Rail Crossover.
Kentucky Built.
and 173,000 miles with Amsoil.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 12:03 AM
Luddite in Charge

The O'Reilly or whatever off brand sensor you have installed is getting confused by the RF interference the wiper motor throws off. As Luke said, this is common.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 09:10 AM
PSN Newb

FWIW, I had been deliberating various CPS issues for a while and finally made a decision to pull the weakly designed Ford/Navistar CPS... I have two gray spares (Ford & Navistar) and -had- the dark blue version installed in our 2000 F250. The dark blue CPS idled okay, but felt 'lethargic' and produced more injector cackle.

After a LOT of reading and research, I bought a 'NAPA Echlin 1103' CPS (lot # M14192) and installed it a few days ago. Took a chance.

Fortunately, it seems to have the newer hall sensor (Allegro 675) circuit, as it did NOT shut down the engine with wipers running, as the OP mentions... RF/electrical interference was a problem with the older NAPA and others.

This NAPA Echlin runs smoother than either the dark blue (Ford) or either of my gray spare units (by Ford and Navistar). It also seems to have corrected an intermittent skip, or substantially tamed it.

Also, the magnet is significantly stronger and is 'centered' in the case/housing. Sensor is slightly longer (0.5 mm) than the gray Navistar. Hopefully, it will have some longevity... time will tell.

I'll keep the other 3 'OEM' as spares... you can't have too many.

Photos attached. The NAPA is in the middle. NAPA lot # M14192
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Napa-Echlin-1103.jpg (7.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Ford-Napa-Navistar.jpg (9.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Navistar-Napa-Ford.jpg (10.3 KB, 25 views)
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 01:27 PM
Luddite in Charge

Good info!

Cost vs Int'l/Ford?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 11:57 AM
PSN Newb

Somewhere I remember seeing a discussion of this problem when using one particular version of the CPS.

One poster, who didn't want to change the CPS (because his truck ran best with that particular CPS version), put a toroid choke (basically a ceramic "doughnut" with a coil of wire wound around it to cancel out the RF interference) onto the wires that fed either the windshield wiper motor or the CPS if I recall correctly.

If you decide you want to keep the CPS you have, this may be one solution. If you google 7.3 CPS "windshield wiper" "choke" and RF you should be able to find it...

2001 F-250 XL, 7.3 PSD, 4WD, ZF6, LS 3.73
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 04:07 AM
PSN Newb

Cost at NAPA (Tucson) was $24.30 plus tax... for the Napa Echlin 1103, as show in the first photo.

As mentioned, I bought it hoping (praying) it was the revised version. The updated part seems to have addressed the RF & line noise problems mentioned by Syncrowave. I briefly ran my wipers and HVAC to 'test' this new NAPA Echlin CPS, no problems so far.

Credit goes to someone named 'Maryland DieselNick' over at TheDieselStop.com He's done a lot of testing, and posted useful CPS info with instructions on how to handle the RF problem using ferrite chokes. Kudos to Nick.

Below is the link to that thread/solution, etal.

NOTE: He started the thread in 2014, but it is still going as of this week (5/8/2016)... good read.

7.3L CPS SEARCH AND EFFORT PAY OFF - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 10:49 AM
Luddite in Charge

Up in these parts we call that 'using a little Yankee ingenuity.'

Anyway, that info and specifically the little part about a solution to a proven headache for under 25 bucks is sticky-worthy. Even the title is perfect for grabbing the attention of someone who's '*@-# truck won't run ..........especially when it's raining' and has no idea how to word their dilemma.

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 06:59 AM
PSN Newb

I've been prepping our truck for our seasonal migration to Michigan for the summer... so this CPS from Napa is about to get a long-haul test, towing an Airstream from Tucson to upper Michigan. I'll try to post a follow-up on the performance of the CPS after we arrive.

This is our maiden voyage with this truck (sold our 2001 Cummins and got a 2000 F250 7.3) so there's going to be an anxiety factor.

As a side note: I replaced the water pump in March, shortly after acquiring the truck. Then, a few days ago, after only 2 months and 700 miles, the 'new' water pump (Airtex) started squealing.

Amazon sent a warranty replacement after a bit of prodding, but I had already ordered a Motorcraft pump "just in case"... both arrived yesterday. The 2nd Airtex had radial shaft play (clicking) fresh out of the box! Side by side, the quality difference is readily apparent.

Yep, the Motorcraft went on the truck... the Airtex, to Craigslist.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode