Overdrive light flashing! ON/OFF - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 06:08 AM Thread Starter
I know nothing...

Overdrive light flashing! ON/OFF

Just bought the truck and began mods. When I drove the 1st time I checked the O/D button and it worked. Pick the truck up today and notice O/D button light flashing. Everything seems to be working, shifts into every gear hard but it has a reman Ford tranny w/shift kit. Lock-up seems to be working. Disengages when let off. But also downshifts at around 1300rpm like tow mode. Checked other threads and found some simular but not right. Shifter is lose, could that be it? Please any info is apreciated.

Doesn't roll with anyone or tag along to be cool...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 06:21 AM
Starting Over

Re: Overdrive light flashing! ON/OFF

Flashing od you have some tranny codes that need to be pulled.Other than that you are throwing a dart at the board.Could be allot of things.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 08:45 AM
Lovin the Tuna

Pull the codes

2001 F250
2000 F250
post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
I know nothing...

I don't have a scan tool, or have access to 1, and the shops around here have a $75 min so the codes may come after a bit. Is there any simple eye-ball checks I could do?

post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 02:24 PM
Lovin the Tuna

uh, i dont think so, it could be a number of things that could be internal you wouldnt be able to check till the trans would be out. Really just best off pulling the code, otherwise its really a huge guessing game, especially when the trans isnt doing something obvious to point you twords what wrong...

2001 F250
2000 F250
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 03:44 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1800joedaddy View Post
I don't have a scan tool, or have access to 1, and the shops around here have a $75 min so the codes may come after a bit. Is there any simple eye-ball checks I could do?
The only thing you can do without codes is make sure that every connection in the truck is plugged in and each pin is clean, not bent or corroded. There are so many ways that a problem can occur that will flash the OD light and store a code that there is really no way to diagnose what's wrong without the code.

Bite the bullet and get the codes read. It will be cheaper and faster than trying to fix this without the codes. And if you just ignore it, there's a good chance you'll be buying a new trans soon. Ignoring a minor problem in a trans often turns into a dead trans.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 04:09 PM
PSN Local

go to autozone or advanced auto or maybe some others but i know those two will pull codes for free hoping you will buy the parts from them
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
I know nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenpointthree View Post
go to autozone or advanced auto or maybe some others but i know those two will pull codes for free hoping you will buy the parts from them
Never thought of that Auto Zone owes me, they'd asking for a bail-out if it weren't for the dozens of times I visit them per week

post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
I know nothing...

OK I fixed it... Almost. I was doing some finish welds on the exh and unhooked the battery. WALAH! no flashing light. Something else, yesterday I was pulling my trailer (6000lb) and the shifts seemed a little harsh. That went away as well. I'm starting to think this had a flash installed or something and that might have affected it? I'm definately going to have it looked at if it comes back.

post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 09:36 PM
Edumacted

I know that in my 97 that I had the OD light was flashing, and it was shifting firmer than usual and it wound up being the TC. It was slipping a little bit and the trans had a fail safe in it where when the TC slipped it would bump the line pressure up and make it shift firmer on its own, to spare the tranny. It would come on sometimes and then it would go away. It finally stayed flashing one time and then it went to the tranny shop.

Dave
2000 F-250 7.3L Slightly Modded
Special thanks to Hotrod Tractor, Unlimited, and Gearhead Automotive
14.7 Fuel Only
New times to come soon
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode