My own Grey vs. Black CPS test - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 113 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
<-- it's like that

My own Grey vs. Black CPS test

I had a chance today to compare the grey and black CPS's side by side, and give you guys some results that you can actually see. I took several pictures showing the size variations, as well as showing the differences in the magnetic strength. The results are conclusive, there are distinguishable difference between the two. Check it out with your own eyes.

First, here are the results of AE and the changes in cylinder rotation. Most cylinders remain mostly the same, however notice the distinct changes in the #3 and #8 cylinders. My #8 drops to zero because I'm running a regulated return and an AD injector instead of an LL. Those with LL injectors probably won't see 0% on #8. I put down the ranges that I saw with each cylinder, with the minimum and maximum values seen after monitoring each cylinder for more than 1 minute each. Engine was completely warmed up each time, with extended drive cycles to ensure that testing was fair and equal.

Grey CPS:________ Black CPS:
1) 0.2-1.2%______ 0.2-0.9%
2) 0.7-1.2%______ 0.7-1.2%
3) 1.6-2.4%______ 0.0%
4) 0.0-0.7%______ 0.0-0.8%
5) 0.0%__________ 0.2-0.7%
6) 0.0%__________ 0.0%
7) 0.0%__________ 0.0%
8) 1.7-2.6%______ 0.0%

The next two pictures show the differences in size. The black CPS is obviously wider than the grey, but if you look closely you can see that it is also slightly longer. For the length comparison, I stood them upright side by side on a level surface so you can see the slight difference.

Now for the last two pictures, I found a washer that was heavy enough that the grey CPS couldn't pick it up off the table, but the black CPS had no trouble picking it up every single time. In fact, the strength difference was incredible, as I could move the black CPS in any direction I wanted and with some force, and the washer wouldn't fall off. The grey one on the other hand could barely lift a corner of the washer off the table, but never could lift the entire thing.

This is all the testing I could think of. Unfortunately I don't have other testing materials such as an oscilloscope to compare signal differences between the two. A while back, Swamps offered to run a test between grey and black CPS's using a cam timing gear, a variable speed motor, and an oscilloscope to see if they could in fact find signal differences between the two sensors. A test like that would verify what many PSD owners have seen with scanners hooked up to their trucks. If they do move forward with that test, I would be very interested to see the results.

On my truck, the grey CPS did not pose enough of a problem to actually trigger a check engine light, or to fail the CCT. However, results may vary with other engines. It is obvious that there is an effect on the #3 and #8 cylinders. Most of the rest remained about the same, with only a small rise on #5 with the black CPS installed.

Right now I am taking a guess that the weaker magnet and slightly shorter sensor has an effect on when the CPS actually picks up the cam timing gear, which would have an effect on injection timing as well. Feel free to discuss or post up ideas or additional information.

Curtis
2002 F-250 PSD
Gambling with 250/200's on PMR's.
478hp/851tq on Haller's dyno - 7/28/12
Your connection to the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Tom S; 04-22-2009 at 05:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 113 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 12:36 AM
Banned

Re: My own Grey vs. Black CPS test

I failed a Cont test, and had a idle knock with the gray... replaced without asking while in the shop for a completely differant issue... Thank you Ford for costing me another $40 bucks for a new black...
post #3 of 113 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 12:45 AM
PSN Local

Mine also had an idle knock and fails a CCT on the number 8. I have the gray CPS and will switch to the black..

AE Shows my #8 at 5.0%

2001 F-250 4x4 Crew shortbox, Optix gauges, DP F5 60towHighAlt, 80E, 100, 120. WW, ITP Boost Annihilator. DIY 6637 intake.
post #4 of 113 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 01:03 AM
PSN Local

I need to get a black sensor. ford stealership here doesnt have any and the parts guy got buthurt when i tried to explain that the new and improved grey sensor was lighting my CEL.

2001 F-250 handshaker on 6INCH 35s, TS 6pos Swamped, IDM mod, 7" miter cut stack, foil delete, DIY tymar intake, billet grill, and '05 headlights
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 113 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 01:07 AM
PSN Local

Interesting......

2000 PSD Puller,6" stack, AFE Stage II, Auto Meter NVs, CPR-X Fuel system, H2E, Monster box, Stealth twins, 400/400 B codes, Minotaur software. 2000 F350 CC long box,xlt towing a 2011 Golden 20+5 GN.
post #6 of 113 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 04:54 PM
PSN Local

What part number is the black CPS?

01 F350 CCLB SRW
post #7 of 113 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 05:35 PM
Don't EFN worry about it

I 'm getting a BLUE ONE ! Makes the truck smoke like hell !

I'll see if I can dig up a part # .

97 crew cab shorty-4x4 Lots of mods .
Tuned by T Wildman
post #8 of 113 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 05:41 PM
OEM Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Tom S

I fixed your first post pics with the ones on this site Curtis.

Tom
post #9 of 113 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 06:28 PM
7.3 PSD Mythology Expert

I posted that a while back and Dave at Swamps basically called me an idiot

David Lott
Quote:
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!
No purpose no happiness, know purpose know happiness ---> Happiness is a direction not a destination.
post #10 of 113 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 06:36 PM
Banning Smut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerstroke Racer View Post
I posted that a while back and Dave at Swamps basically called me an idiot
If the shoe fits.....

lol. sorry had to.

|
|

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode