96 powerstroke as no low end power - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 05:17 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb
96 powerstroke as no low end power

I have a 96 f350 with a 7.3. This past weekend I took out the e4od an put in a ZF542 5 speed. I went to drive the truck and the engine has no bottom end power. I have to take off in first and if I try to do second I have to ride the clutch pretty bad and the engine really lugs hard. After 800 rpms it does fine and has plenty of power. The fuel pressure is holding at 60 psi with a SD pump conversion. The only other mod the engine has is a edge evo. I don't know if it would be the PCM or a hpop or something else
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 05:21 PM
PSN Local
Re: 96 powerstroke as no low end power

AFTER 800 rpms it does fine? The idle is 675 for my 7.3. You can't expect much power at idle. Turbo spool up isn't even really happening until well over 1500.

You might just be used to the torque converter slipping which allows the revs to climb fast on an auto trans.

2000 F350 SRW, 4wd, CCSB, PSD
Lowered rear end to F250 height, 4" exhaust w/ muff, foil delete, AIH delete, Ford AIS intake, tru-cool trans cooler, autometer under dash pod and gauges, Mile Marker hubs, 04 headlights, soft tonneau

18' 10k rated PJ car hauler
26' 7500# Creekside RV Trailer
Kioti CK30 tractor
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I know it shouldnt have a lot of power down low, but i pulled 5000 lbs this morning and its all i can do to get off the line in first. With the truck empty it pulls the engine way down and it lugs real bad at take off. I feal like its not getting the fuel it needs at low rpms the truck has 4.10 gears and stock tires so it shouldnt have any issues there. At higher rpms it does great and will leave a little smoke but down low its a dog. Thanks for the input ill need all the input i can get
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 11:12 PM
PSN Veteran

Step 1. Click thread tools.
Step 2. Click move thread.
Step 3. click the obs tech section.

02 f250
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode