Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

7.3 dies when warm.

27K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Polished600 
#1 ·
I been reading up on my symptons for the last few days and learned alot but I still cant figure it out so im hoping somone can help.

99 powerstroke no mods not mine
first start it up it will run for 10 to 15 min and get a skip every few seconds and eventually stall.
wait a few seconds and fires right up but will stall again. seems to get worse till it wont start untill it cools off.

if i idle it up it will stay running but skips evey few seconds then worse.

After it warms up at idle the injector pressure runs around 550 psi and 1000 psi at 2 grand.

After it stalls i check the hpop res and its full to the top.
fuel filter is full with pressure.
I clear the codes then run it untill stall no coades come up.
Hasnt been a year sence the HPOP was replaced and the first thing i replaced was the cps
I have read that the o rings could be bad on the Ipr and for oil in the plugin yes i think there is some.
When the IPR gets bad will it show the presser drop off? It doesnt seem to go below 550 psi before it stalls but when it picks up after the skip the preasure reads around the 800 psi range.

Im stumped and from what i read from this site im not sure if im heading the right direction.

Thanks in advance

See less See more
#2 ·
Injector more then likely... Watch this video...

This would only happen after the oil got above about 110*...

About the most frustrating thing I have ever dealt with working on these trucks.

#3 ·
Yeah that crossed my mind. from what i understand it robs from the rest and thats what my skip could be. and from what im told the oil hasnt been changed in a while too.

Thanks for the advice.

#5 ·
There is no "lift pump" on a 7.3... Just a fuel pump.

But a fuel pump would not effect HPO pressures...

#6 ·
well we don't have an injection pump but our fuel pump carries fuel from the tank to the injectors which do the job of an injection pump..... we could argue as to whether it could be called a lift pump or not but honestly it doesn't matter that much..... :redspotdance: I would agree that we don't have to call it a lift pump since it's the only pump we have.
either way.... I didn't see anything in his post that indicated that there was a hpo issue.... apr 500 at idle is normal. "1000 psi at 2 grand" doesn't mean alot without load, duty cycle, and throttle percentage.
"550 psi before it stalls" normal if at idle..... "when it picks up after the skip the pressure reads around the 800 psi range" again, doesn't mean anything without the conditions under which it occurred.
I suggested the fuel pump based on the symptoms of stalling after running for a couple minutes. Electric pumps tend to die in just that manner..... It could well be a HPO issue but I don't see where it has been proven as such.

#8 ·
Buzz test only checks for an electrical connection to the injectors. Contribution test tells you whether or not all 8 injectors are firing.

#12 ·
So was there ever a outcome on this? My truck is doing very similar things. And I had my truck hock to a snap on scanner over the weekend and performed a buzz test. And it passed. Nothing looked out of wack on watching the data and later I tried the buzz test again and it would set up the test would get the first buzz with all the injectors and then it would say test aborted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.