Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Smelling raw fuel

10K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  shock 
#1 ·
I can smell raw fuel at start up is burns your eyes. The truck starts good only turns over 2 maybe 3 times. and just a very little smoke you c an barely see it? Glow plugs? should i try pluging in the truck to see if that goes away?

#2 ·
I can smell raw fuel at start up is burns your eyes. The truck starts good only turns over 2 maybe 3 times. and just a very little smoke you c an barely see it? Glow plugs? should i try pluging in the truck to see if that goes away?

First thing to do is scan for codes with a code reader. Do you have one?

My first thought though is to have you check under the valve covers to see if the uvch has come unplugged, loose or wires frayed, etc. This would surely cause what your describing.

Diane

#3 ·
no i do not have a code scanner. You need a diesel one correct? it kinda goes away after it is warm for the most part.

#4 ·
Yes, it will need to be a scanner that will read diesel codes. My thought was only something to check. It could be anythng. UVCH plug issue, Injector needle and seat not sealing off and dribbling, Glow plugs not cycling properly to name a few. Checking for codes will help with diagnosing.

#5 ·
If you don't have any check engine/service engine lights on...then it isn't going to be wiring.

The PCM does not monitor cylinder (or injector) "balance"...but it sure as hell monitors electrical continuity (between the PCM, IDM, & injectors).

the white smoke is surely going to be a mechanical problem...

either high mileage injectors (>180k), low engine compression...bad fuel, no fuel pressure...or leaking injector nozzles.

#6 ·
There is no real white smoke you have to like you would think you have to really really look. No check engine lights. I am lost on this it runs real good no shake or anything it got good fuel ecomony from iowa were i bought it avg 17 to 19 about

#7 ·
seems like these answers are the worst case scenarios, check the back of your fuel bowl, towards the bottom, theres or rings there that are notorious for leaking, and the smell will seem like it goes away, but itll gradually get worse. check the easy stuff first,

#9 ·
Very sorry rear of the truck the rear only. i pull the hog in the garage and then in the am i smell raw fuel like a leak no spots on the floor though. or wet spots? fuel bowl drain o rings?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.