05 6.0 upgrades ??? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local
 
harley-kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: washington state
Posts: 58
05 6.0 upgrades ???

ok who here has an 05 f250 that has done upgrades other then exhaust and intake? I want too know what tunes and other upgrades i can do that wont smoke the heads or engine....let me know what u did and how u like it ...thanks
harley-kid is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 07:12 PM
PSN Local
 
F350Powerhouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bryan, Tx
Posts: 261
Re: 05 6.0 upgrades ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley-kid View Post
ok who here has an 05 f250 that has done upgrades other then exhaust and intake? I want too know what tunes and other upgrades i can do that wont smoke the heads or engine....let me know what u did and how u like it ...thanks
An EGR delete and a mild tune from SCT.

2005 F-250 FX4 CC SB
EGR delete, ARP studs
225's, VGT-HO
Spearco, AFE, Flowpro 4"
Nitrous
Suncoast tranny (want a NADP)
Elite fueling
F350Powerhouse is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 07:31 PM
PSN Veteran
 
FordSuperDuty05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Keller, Texas
Posts: 1,084
Re: 05 6.0 upgrades ???

EGR Delete highly recommend the Full EGR Delete from Adam at First Coast Diesel Performance

Head studs are a must if you want to do a programmer

SCT with custom tunes is the only way to go i would contact tony wildman with total diesel performance and he will treat your right

2011 F-350 Crew Cab Long Bed FX4 King Ranch
FordSuperDuty05 is offline  
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local
 
harley-kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: washington state
Posts: 58
Re: 05 6.0 upgrades ???

thanks ...is the egr delete hard to put in? I work on trucks and cars all the time but there gas???
harley-kid is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 07:50 PM
PSN Local
 
GOOSEKILLER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 321
Re: 05 6.0 upgrades ???

An egr delete is not that bad of a job me and my buddy installed a GoGo intake manifold a few months ago and it took us about 6hrs or so. My turbo was just sitting in the pedestal and there was only 1 bolt in my pedestal so that saved me a ton of time.

2001 2500 4x4
Built 12 valve
TNT Performance
GOOSEKILLER is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 05:29 AM
PSN Local
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 64
Re: 05 6.0 upgrades ???

I disagree, i dont think that studs are a must especially if he is only going with a mild tune, this being said get an SCT with custom tunes not some canned tunes like Edge, ect... I have an 05 and have been pulling the $#!t out of my truck lately and have Dfusers agressive tow tune and pro race and have not had any trouble with heads (knock on wood).

2005 F-250 King Ranch
2.5" Ready Lift Leveling Kit. 4" Blocks
SCT-muffler delete anlong with some other things
IDP Tow, Extreme Street
KingRanch05 is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 11:38 PM
PSN Local
 
Tyler Dirty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tulsa,OK
Posts: 198
Re: 05 6.0 upgrades ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRanch05 View Post
I disagree, i dont think that studs are a must especially if he is only going with a mild tune, this being said get an SCT with custom tunes not some canned tunes like Edge, ect... I have an 05 and have been pulling the $#!t out of my truck lately and have Dfusers agressive tow tune and pro race and have not had any trouble with heads (knock on wood).

This is all a matter of how you drive your truck!! if you drive like grandpa and just cruise around you probably wont have any issues but if your at the track every weekend you ARE going to have issues eventually but thats just part of it..

That being said i have had trucks with no tunes that needed headgaskets it is a common problem on the 6.0 due to only having 10 headbolts per head. I highly recomend headstuds if you plan on keeping the truck and plan on running ANY type of tune.
Tyler Dirty is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 05:10 AM
<--won't start
 
Constantfix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 235
Re: 05 6.0 upgrades ???

i have an 05' f250 as well
i've blown 2 HG, truck has never had any mod of any sort. Only things on it is a 4" turbo back and an aftermarket intake. first HG went at 102,000 (very convenient) Second HG just went at 135,xxx. Its getting the studs now & egr delete, but damn i wish i'd been doing my research just a bit earlier.

To the OP, the amount of money i've spent is now become silly and thats money spent on NO FUN type sh!t....but if i had done it right to begin with, i wouldnt (most likely) have to be dealing w/ it for a second time. You can hope for the best but prepare for the worst IMO
Constantfix is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 06:15 AM
PSN Local
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 64
Re: 05 6.0 upgrades ???

Basically what im getting at is I think that a custom tune that is nothing too hot will help your truck dependability wise. These guys that write the tunes know that this motor has HG problems and will keep the cylinder pressures in check which is the main cause of HG failure. Also many of these tunes do not run the EGR which eliminates another problem area. I think it would be wise to get a set of guages that way you can monitor everything properly.

That being said, yes if you plan on running the dog pi$$ out of your truck and dragging it HG will be a necessity but from what i gather on the OP i dont think he plans on doing either of these. The head bolts in his 05 have different torque specs than earlier models. Since your already out of warranty save your money and do HGs when necessary.

2005 F-250 King Ranch
2.5" Ready Lift Leveling Kit. 4" Blocks
SCT-muffler delete anlong with some other things
IDP Tow, Extreme Street
KingRanch05 is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 07:59 PM
Still learning
 
bad moose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Valley Center, KS
Posts: 368
Re: 05 6.0 upgrades ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRanch05 View Post
Basically what im getting at is I think that a custom tune that is nothing too hot will help your truck dependability wise. These guys that write the tunes know that this motor has HG problems and will keep the cylinder pressures in check which is the main cause of HG failure. Also many of these tunes do not run the EGR which eliminates another problem area. I think it would be wise to get a set of guages that way you can monitor everything properly.

That being said, yes if you plan on running the dog pi$$ out of your truck and dragging it HG will be a necessity but from what i gather on the OP i dont think he plans on doing either of these. The head bolts in his 05 have different torque specs than earlier models. Since your already out of warranty save your money and do HGs when necessary.
Well put. My philosphy is the same. Just know when you do it this way you may have to pay to play.

03 F250 King Ranch
SCT tuned by Eric @ Innovative, Exhaust, and Air Raid filter
EGR Deleted
Still to slow
bad moose is offline  
Reply
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome