Noob questions on modifications for 6.0 - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Just another old guy...

Noob questions on modifications for 6.0

Howdy, folks, newb to both diesels and this forum here, with some questions I really haven't seen answers for in searching previous threads. If I missed them, I apologize, but I do want to know more about what to do before I do it...

The truck in question is a newly bought 2006 F250 Lariat, 116k miles, EGR-deleted, studded, with an Air Raid intake. For the next two years or so, it will be used mostly for driving, but the end use after that will be for pulling a 5th wheel for extended stretches after I retire. So, the questions will be based on that, what I look at as a medium duty vehicle that will see regular road time, both pulling and just driving.

1. I plan on adding a bypass oil filtration system; is going to 2 microns necessary, as some of the filters are for 10 or so? I am going to put some money into the engine, but at the same time, I don't necessarily want to just waste it. From what I understand, a bypass system may be more than I really need, but better safe than sorry on a long haul, I'm thinking.

2. If I use a coolant filtration system, do I really need to look at upgrading the radiator? What about the water pump? Again, not for a true 'heavy duty' truck, but will that 32 foot 5th wheel work the engine that hard, even in hot weather?

3. Additional tranny cooler?

4. How much instrumentation is needed? It sounds like an Edge or something similar is pretty much a given, but are pillar gauges worth the time? What do you think is enough?

5. Is there other work that I need to look into, or have done? The truck doesn't need to be work ready yet, so I can take the time to get my hands dirty now, even if it takes longer than I thought it would. Imagine that...

i know, a lot of questions... lol

Chime in with whatever you want to address, and skip what you don't. Believe me, my position is that any information or tips from y'all will be better than my best guess, since it will be from those who actually know, rather than someone who just read about it.

Thanks in advance.

"Man is the only animal that blushes... or needs to." - Mark Twain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 02:33 PM
ShatMan! NanaNanaNanaNana

Re: Noob questions on modifications for 6.0

welcome to the forum!

1. great question! you're right, that's not talked about very often on forums. might check 'bobistheoilguy' to see if there is something worthwhile there. i'd like to hear more about what spec filter would be worth it, but for sure, you should only need motorcraft oil (and fuel too lol) filters and a quality full synth oil while you are DD'ing it.

2. just curious, what kind of coolant does/has the truck had in it? if you went with a good ELC (EC1 rated coolant) like rotella's read stuff AND a coolant filter, i would feel much better about running the truck with the stock water pump and radiator. Rather, just run it til it needs replacement.

3. You might find some good answers in the 'Transmisison Related' subforum on here. For sure though, a good heated flush or a series of flush-n-fills is highly recommended in the short term. it's hard to get much over half the fluid out by draining it just once.

4. An Edge monitor would be great! you can install a pyrometer to monitor egts while towing that 5th wheel. otherwise, i love my scanguageII. and learning to love my elc obd2 bluetooth adapter (work with your smartphone & is only about $20). if money isn't an issue, that edge with pyro is hard to beat for monitoring IMO. ever think about installing a custom tune? might consider going with a full blown programmer so you can load a tow tune when you want it.

5. This is the biggest question lol, i'll start with ... blue spring mod, new oil cooler, metal CAC tube on driver side, strait pipe or CAT delete on exhaust, zoodad mod, maybe some injectors for towing when the time comes (with a nice tow tune), HPO updates (standpipes, dummy plugs, STC fitting) ... list goes on my friend! fumoto valves on either side of the block (ease of draining coolant), 6.4 starter, upgraded water separator drain cap thingy, CCV reroute, load supports on rear axle (air bags, AALs, timbrens, supersprings, plenty of choices)... i believe theres an updated turbo drain tube as well... you could go hog wild and install ceramic coated uppipes lol
aussamdad and signcut like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 02:52 PM
PSN Local

Wow... Turd got you pretty well covered! Lol

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
aussamdad likes this.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 03:14 PM

why thank you!
i'm hoping to hear more on the oil filtration and trans cooling

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Just another old guy...

I have changed the fuel and oil filters, replacing with Autocraft, and am running Rotella T6 now; don't know what was in it before, to be honest. I believe the radiator is running Gold right now; I haven't flushed it yet. I've heard that the ELC is better than the Gold, so that's what I'll be using; I just heard that the best way to ensure long life was with a filtration system on top of that. If it really doesn't seem necessary, due to the way the truck will be used, more money to spend on other stuff...!

I knew that there would be money spent on getting the truck ready, but I wouldn't say it wasn't an object... lol. I've heard about getting various tunes for a vehicle, but I figure I'd really only need a few: one for towing, and one for mileage. I'm not young, so I don't need a hot rod one; not an off-roader, so don't need a power one either. I've heard about the Edge, and I believe the SCT;,and Scangauge sounds familiar; seems like one would work, but it sounds like another gauge or two would be helpful as well, and even an app.

I'll have to look up some of those other suggestions, but the one I don't expect will be an issue will be loading up the rear axle; after researching it (because that's the kind of goober I am), I'm planning to roll with the Automated Safety Hitch, basically a drop axle. Other than that, sounds like plenty of days cussing at Ford engineers... lol

I'll keep digging, and let you know what I hear/learn about the oil bypass filters.

And thanks... :)

post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 04:04 PM

autocraft fitlers?

good choice on the t6 oil!

on the coolant, we all pretty much agree that it's best to run the red elc no matter what use the truck is subject to. and your truck will benefit from a coolant filter for sure. after your first filter change, just crack it open and i bet you'll find sand and rust!

- good plan on just having a tow tune and economy tune.

...and last but not least, the blue spring mod and all of the HPO updates are 'must haves' for a 6.0 that you plan on keeping around. keep us posted & ask any questions you like!

post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 04:57 PM
PSN Local

I would do a bulletproof oil cooler setup when your ready to tow. That will bring your eot down, do away with the problematic oil cooler, and would complete the oil filter setup. Yes it's expensive up front, but changing multiple oil coolers adds up too.

I think for the price of a egde setup, you may as well pickup a sct livewire that will monitor everything and double as a tuner. I've been very happy with mine.

post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 05:05 PM
PSN Local

Sorry, I forgot the sct won't monitor the egts unless you install a probe. Still no big deal really

post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 05:37 PM

i agree. i've been jonesin' for an x4 for a while now lol

post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Just another old guy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd-250 View Post
autocraft fitlers?

...and last but not least, the blue spring mod and all of the HPO updates are 'must haves' for a 6.0 that you plan on keeping around. keep us posted & ask any questions you like!
Yep, all Autocraft filters.

And, since the plan is to keep this truck until it dies, or I do, I'm looking to do whatever I can to give it an even chance... lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode