A 6.0 horror story to beat all others (and advice needed) - Page 2 - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Re: A 6.0 horror story to beat all others (and advice needed)

headstuds or bolts??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_2934.jpg (21.3 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_2932.jpg (22.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_2931.jpg (23.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_2930.jpg (16.6 KB, 17 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 05:30 AM
Big dumb redneck

Garage

Hard to tell much by the pics but looks like bolts to me. Look on the passengers side, front of the head. It's easier to see them than on the drivers side. If the head looks like a bolt, then it's a bolt. Studs will be just that...a threaded stud with a 12pt nut on it. They look drastically different.

And as you've learned, you can't let just any mechanic work on a 6.0....they need to specialize in this motor to diagnose and fix one.

2005 F350 CCLB Dually
Studded, deleted
5" straight piped
155/30's
KC Stage 1.5
Reg return
Beans sump to the stock pump
BPD FICM
Tuned by several...depends on my mood for the day.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 01:47 PM
Big dumb redneck

Garage

Ok, read your initial post again now that I'm more awake. You said you have a "bad intake temp sensor". Getting a code for it I assume? Thing to remember with a 6.0 is just because there is a code, doesn't mean that particular part is bad. Was work done to the truck, then when you got it back you had the code? Easy to forget to plug that sensor back in. Hop up top, look on the intake manifold (gray U shaped aluminum manifold on top of the engine valley....not sure how familiar you are with what's what on these), right behind your fuel filter housing will be a sensor threaded straight down into the intake. Make sure it's plugged up.

Bad crankshaft sensor....why do you think that? Code? Long crank times will trip that code...say they did some work then it took a while to get it fired again afterwards. Those also are not really known to go bad.

Cyl 3 code (injector)? Again, just because there is a code does not mean it's bad. Does it run bad/miss anything like that. If it's running fine, that injector is fine. Could be another issue that triggered the injector code. The thing about these engines is one fault can trip a half dozen unrelated codes. That's why I say a mechanic needs to specialize in these engines to diagnose one. As your mechanic did, you just start throwing parts at one trying to "fix" it, you'll be in debt in a months time.

What are you (or whoever is doing it) reading codes with?

Shoot me a PM if you want. I'll be glad to help any way I can.

2005 F350 CCLB Dually
Studded, deleted
5" straight piped
155/30's
KC Stage 1.5
Reg return
BPD FICM

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

thank you for your help, it does have a miss.. sometimes its a simple tiny one you can hear in the exhaust, after some steady cruising you can feel it missing in the seat and steering wheel, can also hear it.

I ran the codes on one of the big bosch set ups i bought at oreillys. i dont remember the model, and im not near it, but its a higher end one, upwards of $300.

I have a code for all of those issues, all came on within a few days of each other... aorund the time of the miss, and about a month since they had it last..

i put rev x in last night, seems to be feeling better, the bucking is less and less, i drove around 300 miles today and it was good this morning, better than usual, it got even better as the day went on..

I went and got two more opinions today along with quotes, one from a well thought of dealership about an hour away and one from a very well known regionally diesel shop. Both confirmed the heads were not touched in their opinions, the oil cooler nuts were caked in dirt and grime, years worth in fact, the egr was untouched except a new valve, and pointed out the brakes, two discs new, two milled down.. well ive been screwed.. going to confront him tomorrow. I called ahead today, big mistake, when i showed up he was 'out of town'.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 12:13 AM
Big dumb redneck

Garage

Yeah you got took for sure...hate to see it and I feel for ya, but that happens soooo often with these trucks. It's why I work on my own stuff.

For the 300 you spent on that Bosch setup, you should have bought AE (Auto Enginuity). Software you load on your laptop and is worth its weight in gold with these trucks....can do almost everything Ford can short of reflashed or programming. Takes a little time to get figured out, but it's a must to diagnose a 6.0. Never had my hands on the scanner you bought so I have no idea what it's capable of.

If you are any good with a wrench, a lot of things you can do yourself and save labor costs...which is where the money is with these. You can do an EGR delete, can change an oil cooler, stuff like that if you are mechanically inclined. Changing injectors can be done but you have to pay attention and do it right. Far too many people botch up an injector install. Not really that hard....I can have it apart, new injector, and back together in a couple hours.

Does the truck push coolant out around the degas tank cap (where you fill it with coolant)? You'll know it for sure...will be dried white crap all over the tank. What color is the coolant? Smoke any now as you drive it?

Being in the area you are, you get lucky as middle TN has good diesel shops....Swamps, Full Force, not sure if Beans is still open or not. Don't take it to just some other joe blow diesel mechanic. You need someone who specializes in the 6.0.... If life weren't always so hectic these days I'd offer to come look it over for you, as I'm only like 3-4 hours away. But no time to get away.

2005 F350 CCLB Dually
Studded, deleted
5" straight piped
155/30's
KC Stage 1.5
Reg return
BPD FICM
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 12:15 AM
Big dumb redneck

Garage

Give the guy a week to forget about you, then just randomly show up and see if he defends himself. Then report his azz to every viable outlet.

2005 F350 CCLB Dually
Studded, deleted
5" straight piped
155/30's
KC Stage 1.5
Reg return
BPD FICM
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Beans is still is business thankfully, but the mechanic i went to is a bit south, worked for ford when 6.0s came out, and had a somewhat major hand in production of the 6.0s and 7.3s. Wrote his own code, burnt the tires off in front of ford, built him a shop and went into business himself. Awesome guy. At 6'4 and 315, i appreciate anyone who calls himself "fatboy". Also when i went to see him today had 12 bays, and 7 or 8 had 6.0s in them. I feel good about it. He was a straight shooter, charges $80 an hour, invited me to come and stand over his shoulder, bring in my own parts, and its his standard to put your old parts in your bed and send them home with you if you want them, but also to see that the job was done, he'll of course get rid of them if asked as well.

I will definitely look into the AE, probably go ahead and order it.. I like the bosch, it seems to show about everything, gets info from turbo, ficm, injectors, everything. But as much as i have heard about the AE, well I didnt get the "big" toolbox for nothing. I work on my equipment, tractors, skid steers, dozer, everything, just a little scared of the 6.0s. I have a chevy tahoe, and my girlfriends beamer to work on, so wouldnt mind having both.

I am scared of the injectors, i've done it on equipment, but im a big guy with big hands and a bit closterphobic...easy to screw up it seems. Ill eventually tackle some of the smaller stuff, i learned today my ficm is a reman, was planning on upgrading but ill leave it for now. Ill definetely look into the egr alone..

No coolant pushed, but I do have some smack if i go from idle to heavy throttle.. injector maybe?

I think ill try this guy and see where it gets me. If not, to beans we go.

I understand the busy life, i'm in the slowest time of the year at work and still cant seem to find time to get anything done. Actually cleaned the house finally, at 3 oclock this morning... damn OCD kicks in at very odd times, got up to pee and didnt get back in bed til almost 7, thankfully i gave myself the day off. I'm a great boss to myself! I have family in the area, may have to buy your dinner next time i'm in town, will owe you by the time this damn truck is done!
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 06:04 AM
PSN Local

I've seen this kind of stuff quite a few times over the years. Bottom line, he is legally obligated to either fix what was agreed upon or give you your money back. Take pictures of the evidence, then give him a chance to give you the money back. If he doesn't, sue his ass. With two different opinions and pictorial evidence, he stands no chance in court. I've seen people with worse cases win against a shady ass mechanic.

Don't let him get away with it, or else he'll keep on doing it.

Jamie.

p.s...I'm pretty frickin awesome!
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Jamie i can guarantee few things, but i guarantee it will be resolved, court of law? i hope not. for his sake, i hope not. I dont mind, if you run a business you need a lawyer, especially in my line of work, and if you need a lawyer, why not have the best? Thats how i feel, especially when it comes to lawyers... apparently not mechanics. lmao

I hope he will see it my way and write a check, next i'm going CC company, then to the lawyer. I have a claim in with the BBB, and will be pursusing the local news. Theyre very good at getting into these types of situations, and they owe me... they got my favorite mexican place shut down! twice... first one across town, not a huge deal but was a favorite, now the one 5 minutes from the house. Its been a sad week...
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 03:22 PM
Big dumb redneck

Garage

A little FYI on AE....you buy it per brand....meaning you buy the Ford bundle to work in Ford. If you want to work on the Beemer, you'll need the beemer bundle. Gets pricey for sure if you work on multiple brands. Lucky for me most of my immediate family drives a Ford, or Toyota (need to order that one myself). If you order it, you'll need the "Enhanced Ford Bundle" for it to work in Powerstroke. Plain old Ford package doesn't include the diesel.

Sounds like your new mechanic might be a good one...at least an honest one if nothing else. Let us know how it goes with him. I can relate on the big guy status.... I'm 6'1" and about 250 with bear claws for mitts. It's gets challenging at times trying to fit a big hand/arm in places, but it's doable.

2005 F350 CCLB Dually
Studded, deleted
5" straight piped
155/30's
KC Stage 1.5
Reg return
BPD FICM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode